5k Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5k Training

I am a semi-experienced runner (Half marathons last fall with some running since then) I am currently doing Crossfit 2-3 times a week, but I also want to compete in some 5k(s) this fall/winter season. I have about a month until the first 5k. I have researched plans online, but does anyone have a tried and true program they prefer?

Last summer I was training for half-marathon, but I did a 5k for fun in 23:08. My best half-marathon time is 1:45:09. These were both done in 40-50 degree temps., which I believe is ideal for me. I'm a big sweaty dude.

I would like to see my 5k time near :21-:22 in the next 6 months. No interest in further than 5k anymore.

I would prefer not to run more than 3 days a week. I hate running, but I like competing.

P.S. I don't have access to a track, but I do have a Garmin GPS watch
    Last edited by Krusty; 08-23-2010, 05:14 AM.

Try Run less, Run Faster http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-...2566172&sr=8-1 The program is based of your current 5k time. 3 day a week program.

Also if you are doing crossfit, try crossfit Endurance : http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

Comment

My suggestion would be to just do primal blueprint exercise focused on your event - Do some sprint intervals a couple times a week, do one 5k per week a bit slower than you want, google the web for weight exercises for runners. Get plenty of rest. I used to belong to a very successful running club that recommended exactly that.
      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

For a shorter distance like a 5k, those intervals, and strength training are going to pay off big. Also, check into your running style. I am currently working on the POSE method, and it has decreased my effort while increasing my speed.
        Merry Spinmas!!!
        http://stcva.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by simplyryde View Post
          For a shorter distance like a 5k, those intervals, and strength training are going to pay off big. Also, check into your running style. I am currently working on the POSE method, and it has decreased my effort while increasing my speed.
          Agreed. I thought I mastered walking/running about 65 years ago. Wrong. Before learning the correct way to run/walk (in my case mostly walk), elderly people in walkers would pass me. Women in their 8th month of pregnancy would blow past me.

I don't know much about the POSE method. From the tiny amount I have read, it seems good.
          Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I started running a few months ago (dread mill). I ran 5 days a week, usually 2.5-4 miles per day.

I ran a mix of steady days, and interval days. My pr treadmill was 26:30. Last month, I ran a 5k race, and my time was 24:47.

I am fat. You should do quite a bit better.

Edit: I run in vibrams. I will NEVER run in "real" shoes again.

Comment

If you are going to only run 3 days a week, the workouts need to be significant. I would suggest you do a some shorter sprints say 4-6x400m close to race pace which for you is somewhere around 7:00/mile pace. Mix in some 800's on the second interval day. Slower but with a shorter recovery period. Rest as much as needed between intervals. One of your workouts needs to be a tempo workout. Maybe a 1 mile warm upi @ 9:00/mile followed by 3 miles @ a steady pace 7:45-8:00/mile. Concentrating on keeping an even pace followed by a mile cooldown @ 9:00/mile. These can be tough workouts, but they have to be if you only run 3 days a week.

Comment

Working...
              X