Body by Science

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body by Science

Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried body by science workouts.

I'm trying to use the concepts and mix them in with body weight concepts. I won't get the same amount of inroading as they do with nautilus, but I always enjoyed free weights/body weight moves more.

Today I started with a "Big Three". I figured if I'm going to recruit more muscle groups with physiological movements, better reduce the number of exercises/sets from 5 to 3.

Dumbbell squat (dumbbell version of the move in the book, with a dumbbell in each hand)
    Push up (on push up stands)
    Bent over dumbbell row (dumbbell version of the move in the book).

The workout was 7 minutes. I was GASSED and my legs were jello the whole day. The "Afterburn" was wicked. I'm certainly not "out of shape", as before I started exercising primally, I was doing P90X, P90X2, P90X3 and GSP rushfit.

Another combo I was thinking:

Deadlift
    Dumbbell chest press on stability ball
    Assisted pullups (You'd have to be a monster to do real unassisted pull ups BBS style)

Anyone else have any good free weight / body weight ideas for a "Big Three"?

I would not suggest standard deadlifts on movements where you're purposely trying to slow the rep and particularly slow up the negative. Romanian deadlifts, sure, but not normal ones. Way too much possibility for lower back injury if you're using a sufficient load for it to be a working weight. If you're picking a weight where your form won't degrade over a super slow rep, you won't be close to getting all you can out of your muscle fibres.

Also, why press on a swiss or bosu ball instead of a bench? I don't see the benefit of these exercises as they often get touted.

Comment

These are usually done with better machines or barbells, with the big 5 movements. You can do other stuff like dead lifts to complement, but don't try to do them in slow-mo.

Comment

Yikes !

Slow reps can be good but your choice of exercises raise a lot of questions !

Comment

The word science translated -- "Body by Psychobabble Designed to Lend Credibility to our Opinions".

Comment

Check out the stuff on this link. They have a big 3, bug 5 and big 8 and a few other things to round a quick once a week workout.

I would recommend the Body by Science book and listening to some Doug McGuff pod casts. He is really good.

Comment

double post...
              Last edited by miata; 09-21-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by miata View Post
                These are usually done with better machines or barbells, with the big 5 movements. You can do other stuff like dead lifts to complement, but don't try to do them in slow-mo.
                I do my BBS routine with free weights. I do the deadlifts in slow mo, and it works fine. I just had to cut the weights WAY back as the body quickly fatigues at this pace with this lift. I switched out dumbbell rows for the barbell rows because I found the barbell rows put a lot of strain on my lower back at that slow pace. I added chins to the routine for more back and bicep work.

Comment

Originally posted by Decoski View Post
                  I do my BBS routine with free weights. I do the deadlifts in slow mo, and it works fine. I just had to cut the weights WAY back as the body quickly fatigues at this pace with this lift. I switched out dumbbell rows for the barbell rows because I found the barbell rows put a lot of strain on my lower back at that slow pace. I added chins to the routine for more back and bicep work.
                  I stand corrected. My experience was with the machines. I didn't realize that Doug swaps the dead lift for the lat pull-down. Still seems a little scary to me with deadlifts. Personally, I think BBS works much better with good machines than free weights but if all you have is free weights...

I've since moved on a barbell based 5/3/1 linear progression program that requires much more investment in time, but I feel 5/3/1 forces progress more than BBS -- at least for me.

Comment

its very nice thread really

Crossfit verona | Forging Elite Fitness

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by henry888 View Post

Eh ?

Comment

How do you think Occams compares to Dr Maguffs?

Richard
                          It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

To the OP

I've been doing BBS as Rx'd (Big 5 on machines) since May. I also add one day a week of jump rope intervals, totaling 15 minutes of rope work. I've been extremely happy with the results and progress (both strength and in the mirror).

I've been a regular gym-rat for 20+ years. I'm currently 44, 5'10, 153lbs with about 10% bf, give or take. I spent years hitting the gym 5-6 days a week, often for an hour at a time.

I would say I'm as happy, if not happier, with my results on BBS, and as much as I really enjoyed going to the gym every day, I have to say that I prefer having several extra hours a week in my schedule.

If you really want to do bodyweight work, I would recommend checking out Drew Baye's site at baye.com (I've no affiliation with that site, and have never purchased his books, but I've read many of his posts and think he has a great approach).

IMO - and this is just my opinion - the difference between a well-respected "traditional style" program like Starting Strength and a HIT program like BBS is much smaller than people give it credit for. In other words, I would argue that these programs have more in common than they do things that are different. Both are based on the idea that recovery is the most important piece of the puzzle, both recommend compound movements, both recommend fairly short workouts (relatively speaking), and both train muscle groups relatively infrequently (for instance, on SS you would only bench press once every 5 days).

The big question, I think, is how much difference in results would someone see on something like SS versus something like BBS. In my own experience of trying many programs (though not, to be fair, ever doing SS per se), I have seen equal-to-better results on BBS. A lot better? No. Maybe just equal? Sure. Worse results? Not based on any measurement I'm taking, nor based on what I'm seeing in the mirror. My strength has definitely increased, my resting pulse rate has decreased, my body fat % has gone down (albeit very slightly). And so, for me, I'm definitely happier across the board on BBS. Add into that the fact that I'm less sore on a day-to-day basis and do believe that I'm far less likely to be injured (which, at 44, is a concern), and I'm really a BBS convert.

Sorry for the rambling; hope this helps you.
                            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Richardmac View Post
                              How do you think Occams compares to Dr Maguffs?

Richard
                              Timothy Ferris just added myotatic crunches, cat vomit and kettlebell raises to BBS, so a superset.

Comment

Working...
                              X