Diets of the Old time strongmen.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diets of the Old time strongmen.

Posting this mainly for shits and giggles, hope you find it as entertaining to read as I did !

One of my favorites !

The Saxons did have a “health drink” which I presume they concocted themselves. The ingredients were dark lager beer (or Dublin stout) mixed with Holland gin, the yolk of an egg and plenty of sugar. “It is a very good but strong drink” was the Saxon opinion, “but, if you are not used to it you will get dizzy very quickly.” It seems to me that one would have to be a very strong man in the first place, in order to drink it

Old Time Strongman Diets | Physical Culturist

interesting. isn't Bovril beef extract? with that health drink. my understanding is the body cant store alcohol so it uses it as energy. so there is your beer. is Holland gin actual gin? beer also has carbs. yolk of egg is protein and fat and then sugar is immediate carbs. provided you don't get too smashed and trip over your barbells, that should all give you quick energy lol worth remembering there was no junk food in those days. no kfc and no mcds etc.

Comment

Beer.. the original energy drink!

Comment

Everyone including kids often drank beer, if the history in York is to be believed it was much weaker.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Gives a new definition to the term "beer muscles"

Comment

It was called small beer and was used because the water was polluted and needed to be cooked and flavoured to make it palatable. Very low alc like Kombucha and made in large volume. could be made with grains,apples or other fruit or even grapes. whatever you had cheap.
            Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
              interesting. isn't Bovril beef extract? with that health drink. my understanding is the body cant store alcohol so it uses it as energy. so there is your beer. is Holland gin actual gin? beer also has carbs. yolk of egg is protein and fat and then sugar is immediate carbs. provided you don't get too smashed and trip over your barbells, that should all give you quick energy lol worth remembering there was no junk food in those days. no kfc and no mcds etc.
              Yeah Bovril is made with beef extract, I used to drink it as a kid when I was playing outside in Winter.

Recipe changes[edit]

In November 2004, the manufacturers, Unilever, announced that the composition of Bovril was being changed from beef extract to a yeast extract, claiming it was to make the product suitable for vegetarians and vegans; at that time, fear of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) may have been a factor. According to Unilever, "in blind taste tests, 10% didn't notice any difference in taste, 40% preferred the original and 50% preferred the new product".[citation needed] It now once again makes Bovril using beef extract and a chicken variety using chicken extract,[11] although the vegetarian formula is still sold in some areas, such as Australia and Hong Kong.

Comment

Without the aid of Google for the details... There is a central/South American tribe/village who are exceptional long distance runners. Coincidentally the night before big traditional races they have a huge piss up drinking their own fermented corn beer. It's only around 2% alcohol so they have to drink lots of it to get drunk? then the next day they have carbs coming out of their ears.

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                  worth remembering there was no junk food in those days. no kfc and no mcds etc.
                  Lots of evil bread and pastry though....

Comment

Don't forget the food additives that make msg and pink slime sound heavenly! There was no industry oversight until The Jungle was released, so who knew if that was honey or lead sweetening your food.

Comment

Originally posted by Abyss View Post
                      Don't forget the food additives that make msg and pink slime sound heavenly! There was no industry oversight until The Jungle was released, so who knew if that was honey or lead sweetening your food.
                      Incorrect. There were laws made by the US in the 1800's that addressed food sanitation. While Sinclair's work did bring about the federal laws requiring meat inspection, there were meat inspectors prior to 1906. The Whole Foods Movement started in the 1870's, so people were concerned about what they were eating long before Sinclair's work.

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WhatWeDo.../ucm128305.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_h..._United_States
                      Last edited by ssn679doc; 09-11-2014, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I shouldn't have said that there was no oversight. I was trying to be brief and to hit the milestone people know about.

There was still minimal oversight for most of that century though, and though the movement got started in the 1870's, as per your links official legal progress was not made until the end of the century, except in the case of medicine, which was regulated earlier. From other sources there was even some alarm and attempts to regulate food adulteration in the 1820's, but the practices of adding alum, chalk, copperas, and other stuff didn't end until much later. With my limited resources I haven't been able to find a hard date for the end of those additives for the US other than the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act, but England ended it sooner, in 1872 with their similar act.

I did find an interesting tidbit from the 1873 British Medical Journal, a letter in response to an article, in which a chemist defends his analysis of some bread for alum. The interesting part is how even then they could not detect that additive with absolute certainty even after the law was passed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2294652/

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman_chris View Post
                          Without the aid of Google for the details... There is a central/South American tribe/village who are exceptional long distance runners. Coincidentally the night before big traditional races they have a huge piss up drinking their own fermented corn beer. It's only around 2% alcohol so they have to drink lots of it to get drunk? then the next day they have carbs coming out of their ears.
                          They are the tarahumara, or in their language, 'raramuri' or 'running people'. The beer is called 'tesguido' I think.
                          Tbh, the last thing I'd want to do after a monster piss up would be to run ultra distances..

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                            Posting this mainly for shits and giggles, hope you find it as entertaining to read as I did !

One of my favorites !

Old Time Strongman Diets | Physical Culturist
                            I just eat Old Timey strongmen. The curly moustaches tickle your throat, but it seems like the most efficient way.
                            Last edited by RichMahogany; 09-11-2014, 12:26 PM.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              I just eat Old Timey strongmen. The curly moustaches tickle your throat, but it seems like the most efficient way.
                              I hear that they contain every single nutrient a person needs, too! The ultimate superfood, one might say.

Comment

Working...
                              X