No announcement yet.

Chronic Cardio - am I walking too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic Cardio - am I walking too much?

Hi there,
    Lately I've been falling sick a lot. Like once in two to three months. Two years ago I would fall sick, what, once a year? The only thing I could think that is different is my job. I became a nursing assistant 1.5 years ago and that's when my troubles started. I work at a facility where the work is very demanding. I lift, walk and push up to 8 hours a day.

I once wore a pedometer and it said that I walked about 6 miles a day. And since I work 5 days a week, that's about 30 miles a week.

Just wondering if that's the reason why my immunity's shot? I have to confess that I've fallen off the Primal bandwagon in a big way too, though I try to stick to Paleo 50% of the time

Walking is not your problem. Dealing with sick people is (I would guess) and you are not eating optimally.

Comment

How's your sleep? The walking you do it about the average amount a New Yorker does, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's a good amount and it's good for you. Nourish your body with good food and get optimal amounts of sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Hi edenperez1
        Admittedly not very good. My sleep that is. I don't generally sleep very well unfortunately.

FrenchFry i guess it doesn't help that I am exposed to pathogens all day. I was wondering, besides following primal to the t is there any kind of food or supplement I should take to improve my immune system?

Comment

Chronic cardio is if you're jogging like 20 miles a day. Walking 6 miles a day is quite the opposite of that.
          What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Comment

Obvious things first (as others have said): 1) sleep 2) diet 3) stress 4) exposure to illness @ work

The walking is, in all likelihood, helping you.
            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

How's your vitamin D level?

Comment

agree about the walking. it's the only thing good you have going on right now.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Best way to not get sick is to stay out of hospitals and doctors offices. And schools with children.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I work in Healthcare and get mandated flu shots, immunization boosters etc. each year, and can relate to the "sickness all around you" while at work. I don't think the walking is hurting you, rather your environment.

Comment

Flu shots, vaccines weaken you & are high in mercury, its better to buipd up natural defense system.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I agree with the diet, slep and exercise recomendations you have gotten so far... one other thing that will help is washing your hands..... working in the health industry is a guarantee that you are being exposed to various microbes that you may not have an immunity to. Washing you hands will definitely help cut down on the transmission of disease pathogens you are exposed to. Not much you can do about the stuff that is airborne, but the pathogens that are transmitted via contact can be reduced significantly by simply washing your hands.

As far as the flu shot being worthless... probably, but not because of the mercury. Has more to do with probablity than anything. There are bazillions of flu virus strains, and the flu vaccine has 3 maybe 4 strains in it. The odds are against the "experts" picking the right strains of virus that will be prevalent in any one year. Not to mention, it's a virus... they mutate rapidly....
                        Last edited by ssn679doc; 07-14-2014, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liztai View Post
                          Hi edenperez1
                          Admittedly not very good. My sleep that is. I don't generally sleep very well unfortunately.

FrenchFry i guess it doesn't help that I am exposed to pathogens all day. I was wondering, besides following primal to the t is there any kind of food or supplement I should take to improve my immune system?
                          Gotta work on sleep, dear. It is absolutely crucial! Do you know why you don't sleep well? Watching TV too late at night, life worries and stress, eating too late, not eating late enough, uncomfortable bed, etc? Do you fall asleep just fine and then wake up unable to fall back asleep? Or do you have trouble falling asleep? Sleep issues compromise your body's immunity. Get sleep at all cost!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by liztai View Post
                            Hi edenperez1

It's not about food - it's about sleep. Sleep is very important for the functioning of the immune system and for health, and if your sleep is poor, you can't supplement your way out of that. So work on your sleep. Are you exposed to blue light after dark? What are your work hours - do you work the night shift? Are the shifts consistent? Is your bedroom dark? Is your bed comfortable? Does your partner snore or move around a lot?

What made a tremendous difference for my sleep was putting on blue-blocking sunglasses about 2 hours before bed (the really dorky looking glasses they sell to cataract patients), turning off all white lights in the bedroom 1 hour before bed (and turning off all electronic devices with glowing screens), and using a sleep mask for sleeping. Try that and see if it helps before you start supplementing or eating weird things.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Try laying out at least twice per week for about 10-20 minutes at a time between the hours of 11:30am and 3pm. Make sure it's in full sun, and not on a cloudy and overcast day.

Comment

Working...
                              X