Recovery techniques?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery techniques?

Workout hard, always have aching muscles the nest day. Wanna reduce this!

So i hydrate, stretch, bath, sleep, sleep, sleep and adequate protein. (not necessarily in that order!)

Am i forgetting anything? or any magic tricks?

Cheers
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Enough calories (not only protein) is important for recovery. Low intensity walking can also help. Active recovery may also be beneficial... Movements with LIGHT weight, in the 20-30rep range. Intensity should be minimal. Soreness should gradually taper off as you become more trained/conditioned.

Comment

Have you tried a full ice bath?

Glutamine also helps.

Comment

I second an ice bath or at least a few minutes of cold shower. I've also had some neat success with those binaural beats that stimulate brain wave states, the relaxation/deep sleep ones really can add an extra layer of awesomeness to a short nap/yoga corpse pose experience...

Comment

Just my own experience and I have no science to back it up, but since supplementing with Vitamin D, my next-day DOMs hasn't been severe. Don't know why this is so. Perhaps the anti-inflammatory effect.

Comment

Check out nutrient deficiencies. That means vitamins and minerals too.

Self-massage is a wonderful idea. Do it everyday before the workout. Helps me find out what I shouldn't be working that day too. Then again, partner-massage is an even more wonderful idea.
            sigpic
            In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Zinc post workout
              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

A (quality) multivitamin helped me very much in this area... apt to agree with folks about the nutrient deficiencies.

Comment

How often are you working out? Are you giving your body enough rest time to recover?
                  My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Thanks guys, dont know if i can handle the ice baths, but ill look into the vitamin supplements. Fitday says I am hitting everything apart from vit D (unsurprisingly). Whats a good supplement? cod liver oil inst it?

I work out once every two or three days never two in a row. Oh and what is glutamine all about?!
                    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Glutamine is an amino acid I believe, found in protein powders or separately as a supplement. Supposedly helps recovery after intense weight lifting.

Comment

I found this stuff called pure protein at fred meyers it only has six grams of carbs and very little sugar per serving and twenty three grams of protein i have only been using it the last two days right after working out and not getting any soreness whatsoever the next day now. i was feeling pretty beat up cause i been doin p90x/insanity another bonus of the pure protein it was one of the cheaper protein powders i had found out there it was only like $30 for a 2lb can.

Comment

Are you credit card less? $30 for 2lb is outrageous. I use Muscle Gauge Whey Protein Isolate. 24g per serving, zero carbs, terrific flavors. 5 lb tub is $34.99 + $5 shipping. Found online, Muscle Gauge Nutrition or bodybuilding.com.

Comment

Originally posted by RezH View Post
                            Are you credit card less? $30 for 2lb is outrageous. I use Muscle Gauge Whey Protein Isolate. 24g per serving, zero carbs, terrific flavors. 5 lb tub is $34.99 + $5 shipping. Found online, Muscle Gauge Nutrition or bodybuilding.com.
                            Seriously $30 for 2 lbs is robbery.

Recovery wise, I do a lot of stretching and active rest (walking or jogging) and usually a good bit of doing nothing in the evenings. I take a few supps, beta-alanine 2-3x throughout the day and eat a lot. Then again I train a lot more though (5 days per week, sometimes 6, 2-2.5hrs per session average).
                            Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

Foam rolling right after working out.

www.robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X