Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is they're anything wrong with just working certain muscle groups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is they're anything wrong with just working certain muscle groups?

Ok, maybe the title is wrong.

im 16 so still growing.
    Ive been working out a little bit but I figure I just want to let my body grow naturally before any serious weight lifting.

I was thinking, would it be ok if I worked my legs and core only?

For example:
    3-5 sets body weight squats
    3-5 sets body weight lunges
    2-3 sets calf raises

Plank + side plank and some other core exercises.

Is there anything wrong with just doing this?
    My reasoning is, Strong core strong body + strong legs = a strong body aswell.

Is there a danger of strength imbalances or anything?

Diet: Eating more fat including sat fat + bucket loads more protein.

If I where to do those things even without exercising, would I get increased strength and size naturally?
    Last edited by LockieKermit; 06-01-2010, 04:32 AM.

I don't think bodyweight exercise will do harm at any age. Throw in some pull-ups and push-ups and you're golden!

Comment

+1 for pull-ups and throw in some pushups as well. When performed correctly, they are very good core movements.
      I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by LockieKermit View Post
        Ive been working out a little bit but I figure I just want to let my body grow naturally before any serious weight lifting.
        I have a long post for you Hopefully I'll get to it later but if not, it can be summed up as

1)lift now - with good distribution (ie everywhere). The evidence supports it completely.
        2)get lots of dark meat. Guy or girl? get a multi with 15-30 mg zinc in it (15ish if you're a girl, 30ish if you're a guy)
        3)take 5,000 IU vitamin d3 on days you're indoors midday and don't get full body sun. if you're out in the sun midday, don't take the D.

best,
        K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I will think about it, but I think im doing them wrong.

My right side is far more developed then my left, Only I can notice it but I can feel it strength wise.
          Thats why I want to lay of the muscle building exercises for a while.

Other then that, is there any issue with just working the core and legs?

Comment

Did you play throwing sports? Lots of people have a little imbalance from side to side.
            I think the best way to counter it is to try and do equal work on both sides, but it will most likely always be there.

Comment

I'd add in pullups, pushups and pike presses and hill sprints in there as well.

Comment

Just do the three powerlifts then: deadlift, bench, and squat.
                .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I agree with arthurb and rphlslv - do complex multiple muscle workouts and you'll even yourself out naturally. If you do something that *includes* (not targets) a weak muscle it will naturally get stronger in order to keep up with the other muscle and improve your weight lifting goals.

Regarding working out individual muscles, the intro of Starting Strength puts it nicely:

The reason that isolated body-part training on machines doesn't work is the same reason that barbells work so well...
                  The human body functions as a complete system... It doesn't like to be separated into its constituent components and then have those components exercised separately, since the strength obtained from training will not be utilized in this way. The general pattern of strength acquisition must be the same as that in which the strength will be used.
                  Properly performed, a full range-of-motion barbell exercises are essentially the function expression of human skeletal and muscular anatomy under a load.

So basically... dead lift, bench, squat, these are the big three it seems. This all makes perfect sense to me in the context of Primal fitness - Grok certainly wouldn't have sat around doing sets of curls to perk up his biceps... but he surely would have to do press-like movements fairly often and that would have made his arms quite shapely all around.

Comment

Your 16?! damn, i lost the youth record. lol
                    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

High five for getting going that young!

I advocate the "big 3" as well, but for me they are deadlift, squat, and OVERHEAD press, which is much more functional than bench. For extra points, throw pull ups, push ups or bench press, dips, and reverse rows into the mix and you'll be far better off than most other people isolating every muscle from every angle for hours and hours every week.
                      Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
                      The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

I dont have access to a gym, thats why im asking if its ok to just do Core (abs, lower back, obliques)
                        and legs until im older and can get to a gym...

Ive had wonderful anwers but still not the actuall anwser to the question

Comment

Sorry, got carried away in the convo there. I am sans gym now as well and am still getting full-body workouts. While it won't kill you to just work your core and legs, there's no reason you can't get your upper body as well. I suggest push ups and chair dips to start out with. Try to get pull ups into the mix if you can. You can often improvise if there's a sturdy bar around, otherwise those Iron Gym pull up bars you see everywhere are really good and don't cost too much. If you have the means, pick up a kettlebell and learn how to use that as well and you may never have a need to go to the gym.
                          Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
                          The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

you can also improvise 'rows' by laying under a sturdy table, grabbing the top of it, and then pulling your chest up towards the top of said table.

there's always a way to improvise a movement.

and while again that doesn't answer your question, it might look a little odd when you have this ripped mid-section and then are 'loose' (for lack of a better term) everywhere else. It would definitely lead to imbalance. But you are correct in that if you have a strong core, you will be well prepared for the practical world and be less prone to injury while performing menial tasks like lifting boxes and such.
                            I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Ask your parents to buy you either the Naked Warrior (good) or Convict Conditioning (better). You should be good until you have access to weights. Your local library could have a copy.

Comment

Working...
                              X