Wired with energy and bored

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired with energy and bored

So I have been eating primal for 5 months, and have lost 8kg. I havent been huge on the exercise, instead focusing on getting the food right.

Now I feel really confortable with my food - its not an effort to eat primally, and I know how far I can go off course before stuffing everything up (its not far)

So fitness improvement is my next hurdle. I have posted here about Starting strength trainig, and have been reading old posts on here and other forums. They all say that obese people should just start by walking around the block.

Well I'm past that... I am WIRED with energy and the desire to get fitter and leaner. ( I am 112kg)
    Walking around the block is boring, slow and boring. I bought some weights, but almost everyone advised that there wasn't much pont using them until I lost a heap of weight.

Can't I just smash the exercise? Everyone says fat loss is 80/20 diet /exercise, which I do belive, but does that mean I shouldn't do a lot of exercise?

I don't want to hurt myslef of course, by running or jumping, I know I am still really heavy.

I am just bursting with newfound energy and a passion for fitness but feel I have nowhere to put it
    "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

You are overthinking it. When you have the energy, hit the workouts.

How many pounds is that anyway? Internet says 245? Unless you're 5'5" you can do a lot at this point.

People meant you don't need to exercise to lose weight, and that exercising while very overweight can damage your joints and body in other ways. But only certain types of exercise. Even very fat people can do powerlifting and similar non-plyometric things. I'd start the weight lifting for now, heavy as you can. Just avoid jumping jacks.

I always have ants in my pants, too. I have to get active almost every day or I drive my coworkers nuts.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 05-14-2014, 11:26 PM.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Only thing is I do weights at home by myself. I only have a 17,5kg barbell

Comment

There's a lot you can do with bodyweight exercises, which might be the best way to get started. Also, I've seen comments from people on here about cheap home equipment like bags of sand, etc., if you don't want to invest in more weights.

I also agree that strength training will help you. Also, it is probably not popular on here but you can probably look for some low impact workout DVDs or YouTube videos for times you have tons of energy and strength training or walking isn't enough. I just found some low impact HIIT videos by googling - they might be enough to get you some fat burning benefits from sprinting-type workouts, until you get to a point where you can do more.

Comment

You have a mirror? Watch a lot of videos, work on form, check yourself, correct yourself. You can get free weights or make them pretty easily. I got mine from the dump, took them out of the steel recycling and nobody stopped me. I also lift alone most of the time. Use safety rails, don't leave yourself vulnerable, and enjoy. No reason not to lift heavy now.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Install a pull-up bar at home in the corridor you walk through very often and do pull-ups every time you walk under the bar. Increase the number with time.

Comment

If you want to do starting strength do it. Just ignore the part about drinking a gallon of milk. Read the book.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for Super-Slow training !

The resistance training you’ll do with Dr. Darden’s new plan is shown to give you results faster than any other regimen out there. Here’s why, according to scientific research and many real-life studies:

Compared to regular resistance training, his 30-30-30 plan, emphasizing slow lowering against resistance, produces 40 to 50 percent greater activation of muscle tissue than traditional lifting. That’s not because you’re using heavier weights than normal — in fact, you’ll be using lighter weights!

That “deeper” stimulation of muscle fibers in turn prompts the release of five key hormones involved in muscle building. While your muscles are growing faster, the same hormones act to pull calories out of fat cells, which then shrink!
                Have a read of this article:

The Secret to Dropping More than 30 Pounds Fast | Women's Health Magazine

Comment

Consider doing your walks with a weighted vest or backpack with sandbags in it. If your wearing minimal shoes, pay attention to your walking form to keep from heal striking. I picked up a nice weighted vest on Craigslist, it was worth the purchase.

I also use a sandbag for my workouts. I bought one made for exercise but you can make your own easy enough. I also do a kettlebell routine and bodyweight routine. And I'm not that far behind you at 102 kilos.
                  Randal
                  AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                  Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                  http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                    Consider doing your walks with a weighted vest or backpack with sandbags in it. If your wearing minimal shoes, pay attention to your walking form to keep from heal striking. I picked up a nice weighted vest on Craigslist, it was worth the purchase.

I also use a sandbag for my workouts. I bought one made for exercise but you can make your own easy enough. I also do a kettlebell routine and bodyweight routine. And I'm not that far behind you at 102 kilos.
                    What benefits do you feel a Kettlebell routine gives over controlled barbell/Dumbbell movements ?

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                      What benefits do you feel a Kettlebell routine gives over controlled barbell/Dumbbell movements ?
                      Part of me using a kettlebell is out of the lack of other options out here where I live. I bought a set of sandbag kettlebells and brought them back to Egypt with me. We have lots of sand, not much in the way of free weights.

I'm working more on functional fitness and things like sandbags and kettlebells seem to be more shifting and unstable and likely closer duplicate the type of movements I might have to do in my work. I would likely not have to lift a fixed weight 10 times in my work, lifting an odd shaped and shifting weight is much more likely.

Regular kettlebells seem to give a more varied workout than just controlled barbell and dumbbell exercises. The sandbag KB even more so and their are some KB exercises that the sandbag KB just don't work well for.

That being said, I have a line on some dumbbells in Cairo and heading in tomorrow morning to check them out. I'll likely pick me up a pair and add them in. I have found a few used sets of quality freeweights in the local classified but wasn't quick enough to get them.

Closest gym is at the hotel here and they don't have much. Next closest is about an hour away. Just have to make do with what I have.
                      Randal

Comment

Part of me using a kettlebell is out of the lack of other options out here where I live. I bought a set of sandbag kettlebells and brought them back to Egypt with me. We have lots of sand, not much in the way of free weights.

I'm working more on functional fitness and things like sandbags and kettlebells seem to be more shifting and unstable and likely closer duplicate the type of movements I might have to do in my work. I would likely not have to lift a fixed weight 10 times in my work, lifting an odd shaped and shifting weight is much more likely.

Regular kettlebells seem to give a more varied workout than just controlled barbell and dumbbell exercises. The sandbag KB even more so and their are some KB exercises that the sandbag KB just don't work well for.

That being said, I have a line on some dumbbells in Cairo and heading in tomorrow morning to check them out. I'll likely pick me up a pair and add them in. I have found a few used sets of quality freeweights in the local classified but wasn't quick enough to get them.

Closest gym is at the hotel here and they don't have much. Next closest is about an hour away. Just have to make do with what I have.
                        This part stops me from getting on my soapbox too much then !
                        Part of me using a kettlebell is out of the lack of other options
                        A muscle will always be worked better when tension is maintained and that can only be done at slower controlled rep speeds.
                        The concept of 'Functional training' is just utter garbage created by idiots trying to promote Crossfit and P90X type disasters, how often in real life do you lift a heavy weight by swinging it crazily between your legs, if anything could be considered functional it would be basic lifts such as Deadlifts, Squats and Overhead presses although any exercise that safely creates adaptation from a muscle is to me creating functional strength.
                        Some people also do Kettlebell type stuff in the hope of burning calories, once again this is a very inefficient way of achieving a goal and the risk to benefit ratio not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                          This part stops me from getting on my soapbox too much then !

The concept of 'Functional training' is just utter garbage created by idiots trying to promote Crossfit and P90X type disasters,
                          Actually by functional fitness I'm thinking more in the realm as functional fitness for firefighters. Having to carry a bulky and shifting section of 3" hose up a couple of flight of stairs is somewhat duplicated by carrying a sandbag up a couple of flight of stairs. I don't think I've read anything in firefighter fitness books that involved swinging a heavy weight around your head.

But I'm far from being an expert in any of it. I have never gotten into strength training before, just now getting into it now. I'm a complete and total novice here at 58 years old.

If I can ever get my hands on some free weights over here, I'll be using them also.
                          Randal

Comment

Actually by functional fitness I'm thinking more in the realm as functional fitness for firefighters. Having to carry a bulky and shifting section of 3" hose up a couple of flight of stairs is somewhat duplicated by carrying a sandbag up a couple of flight of stairs. I don't think I've read anything in firefighter fitness books that involved swinging a heavy weight around your head.

But I'm far from being an expert in any of it. I have never gotten into strength training before, just now getting into it now. I'm a complete and total novice here at 58 years old.

If I can ever get my hands on some free weights over here, I'll be using them also.
                            Yeah training is very specific if you want it to improve a specific task so shouldering a sandbag would be great practice for shouldering a fire-hose.

Comment

thanks guys. I love the weighted vest idea, and am now trying to think if people will notice if I wear it under my office attire at work... I have some ankle weights I bought years ago. I stopped using them when I read somewhere taht they were a waste of time. (some CW site probably)

I am reading the negative training link, Thanks Old School, it sounds really interesting. I remember an old gym trainner telling me slow is best.
                              I have also been trying toddler lifting, she loves it and at 15kg its not a bad workout.

I have started eating lamb and chicken liver these last two weeks, I think it may be the source of my newfound energy. Its amazing.

Oh , one more question: I am always only able to exercise for short periods. 5-20 minutes here and there throughout the day. Are several short workouts as effective as a long one?
                              Last edited by Badgerfaced; 05-15-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X