My OHP is getting HEAVY - need advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My OHP is getting HEAVY - need advise

Went to the gym, banged out a 52.5 kg OHP for 3x5 but it was hard as hell.

I've been trying to complete that weight for 2 sessions now and today was my 3rd. The first session was crap, the second I achieved 4/3/2 reps and today I finally managed to do 5/5/5. I promised myself if I didn't do it today I would deload but now I've completed it, my next weight is 55kg. However, I know I probably wont be able to do it as today it took all my effort to bang out those reps.

Should I still deload? or should I just "try" next gym session to do the 55kg. I'm not really in a position to add micro weights as I dont have any or know where to get them.

Thanks

If i had completed the reps 'set' by whatever program i was following i would up the weights.

Isn't that the principle behind most progressive lifting programs?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbeast View Post
      If i had completed the reps 'set' by whatever program i was following i would up the weights.

Isn't that the principle behind most progressive lifting programs?
      I suppose, but I only "Just" completed it. It took everything I had and it's not like it was a dead-lift or a squat.

Comment

That workout is supposed to make you stronger for the next one. That's the point of linear progression. Do you have micro-plates? You probably can't increase the press any more in 5 lb or 2.5kg increments.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I just barely completed 110 lbs this past workout doing 5x5 and I'm expecting to stall sometime in the next 1-3 workouts. The program I'm following says the first time you fail a set you should keep the weight the same and try again next time you're due for OH press. If you fail twice in a row, then you de-load 10% and begin progressing by only 2 lbs per workout with micro plates.

Once you have had to de-load twice he recommends dropping from 5x5 to 3x5, and then after you've deloaded twice at that volume it is probably time to move to a more advanced program.
          __________________________________________________ _____________________________
          Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
          End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            That workout is supposed to make you stronger for the next one. That's the point of linear progression. Do you have micro-plates? You probably can't increase the press any more in 5 lb or 2.5kg increments.
            I suppose so, maybe ive finally just hit the point where the real gains are gonna start coming. Ill see how I go next session.

Comment

Get in a (verbal) fight with your wife before hitting the gym. Get worked up into an angry, rage-fueled frenzy.

Will add 10% to your press easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice one Lockstock.

I'm currently following 5x5 (working well so far), my OHP is at 42.5kg. Its going up to 45kg on Monday and I reckon, like you, I'll stall at that 52.5/55kg mark.

My reckoning is more rest between sets... Good idea or bad idea?
                Last edited by Steady; 04-25-2014, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Good idea. You can manipulate variables like training density once you're already strong. For now, get all your reps in, even if you need to take a full 8 minutes between work sets.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Perfect, thanks Rich.

Comment

Good idea. You can manipulate variables like training density once you're already strong. For now, get all your reps in, even if you need to take a full 8 minutes between work sets.

What's an acceptable time period between sets? for my OHP I was doing 3 minutes, could I bump that up to 4-5?

Comment

As long as it takes to complete your sets. 8 minutes is the approximate timeframe for your body to fully restore the muscles' ATP supply. Let the rest intervals get longer as the weight gets heavier. I keep them a bit shorter on upper body than lower, but I was up to 9 and 10 minutes between sets of squats towards the end of my linear progression.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

As long as it takes to complete your sets. 8 minutes is the approximate timeframe for your body to fully restore the muscles' ATP supply. Let the rest intervals get longer as the weight gets heavier. I keep them a bit shorter on upper body than lower, but I was up to 9 and 10 minutes between sets of squats towards the end of my linear progression.
                          Okay thanks, I usually do 3 minutes for lower but Ill see what 4-5 for both lower and upper. Cheers

Comment

is the glass half empty,
                            or half full ?

if you sucked the first time,
                            did better on your second,
                            and made your 3x5 on the third,
                            then you got stronger.

if, @ 5 lbs heavier, it takes 3 sessions, like this last one,
                            you still get stronger.
                            if you're not there at that third session, then you could think to deload and work back up.

I think Stronglift 5x5 explains this pretty well.

Comment

How much are you increasing the weight in the next set? You might want to invest in some micro plates (expensive), or 2" ID washers (very affordable) or even use 1lb or .5 lb ankle weights to tack on each side.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X