Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Reasons Bodyweight Training Is The Best!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5 Reasons Bodyweight Training Is The Best!

    Hey Everyone! I just wrote up a blog post on my top 5 reasons I love bodyweight training, and why I use it as the root of all my training. Check it out and let me know what you think!

    Jungle Fit - How Fitness Was Meant To Be!: 5 Reasons Bodyweight Workouts Are The Best!

    - Tim
    Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

  • #2
    Those tend to be five good reasons

    Comment


    • #3
      Apart from 1( Used weight sets can usually be found very cheaply ) and 2 ( My workout area at home is ridiculously small but I still manage ) all the rest can be just as easily applied to weights and they also provide progressive resistance far more easily than bodyweight exercises.

      Nice well thought out article though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks glad you liked it!
        Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah OldSchhool, used weight sets can be found for pretty cheap and I do enjoy free weights as well. But you can't bring them with you everywhere you go!
          Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know... I know these exercises are good for you but personally, when I tried PBF it just wasn't intense enough to get anything major out of it, metabolically or strength-wise. And then there is the tedium factor of doing many many reps, which I found de-motivating.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
              I don't know... I know these exercises are good for you but personally, when I tried PBF it just wasn't intense enough to get anything major out of it, metabolically or strength-wise. And then there is the tedium factor of doing many many reps, which I found de-motivating.
              As always, any "exercise" will depend on your starting point, but I'll go ahead and doubt that you've mastered every possible level/variation of most bodyweight movements (some of which are incredibly difficult) and challenge the idea that there is any sort of "high rep" requirement.
              I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

              My Journal

              Height: 6'3"
              SW (Feb 2012): 278
              SBF: 26% (Scale)
              CW (Sept 2015): 200
              CBF: 17% (Scale)

              Comment


              • #8
                I definitely haven't and will certainly be bringing some back into my workouts for sure.

                I do recall the PBF ebook saying you should be able to do 60+ body weight squats. I remember doing 70 something and getting very bored with that, since every workout you try to add more.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
                  I definitely haven't and will certainly be bringing some back into my workouts for sure.

                  I do recall the PBF ebook saying you should be able to do 60+ body weight squats. I remember doing 70 something and getting very bored with that, since every workout you try to add more.
                  I will give you that repetition tends to be higher on the PBF model. I'm more a fan of YAYOG, which is decidedly not high rep.
                  I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

                  My Journal

                  Height: 6'3"
                  SW (Feb 2012): 278
                  SBF: 26% (Scale)
                  CW (Sept 2015): 200
                  CBF: 17% (Scale)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    pancake, what do you progress to for the lower body once you've mastered the pistol squat?
                    The Champagne of Beards

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      pancake, what do you progress to for the lower body once you've mastered the pistol squat?
                      shotgun squat?

                      I'm not saying people don't max out on what bodyweight movement can do for them, but the majority of people never even try.
                      I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

                      My Journal

                      Height: 6'3"
                      SW (Feb 2012): 278
                      SBF: 26% (Scale)
                      CW (Sept 2015): 200
                      CBF: 17% (Scale)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, I mean, to me it comes down to: What bodyweight movement is equivalent to a 300 lb squat? Or a 400 lb deadlift? The answer is there isn't any. So for most people, bodyweight is a billion times better than channel surfing from the couch. But for serious athletes, it just can't provide the same amount of overload, nor can it be loaded in an incremental fashion. Bodyweight is great, but barbells, for my personal goals, are better tools for the job. I still do bodyweight stuff (dips, chin-ups, handstand pushups), but it's not the main focus of my strength programming, because it's limited. I'll never run out of space on my bar for another pair of plates (unless I buy a whole bunch of economy bumpers).
                        The Champagne of Beards

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
                          I don't know... I know these exercises are good for you but personally, when I tried PBF it just wasn't intense enough to get anything major out of it, metabolically or strength-wise. And then there is the tedium factor of doing many many reps, which I found de-motivating.
                          It depends on the goal. If you want to get stronger, there are plenty of progressions that will allow that. If you don't find conditioning challenging enough, there are better protocols and techniques that should be used. I've worked with athletes, law enforcement, fire fighters etc. who have all gone through bodyweight only workouts that push their limits. Simply doing higher reps of basic exercises will not do the trick. Careful planning and progressions are key!
                          Fitness Is A Journey, Not A Destination.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            Yeah, I mean, to me it comes down to: What bodyweight movement is equivalent to a 300 lb squat? Or a 400 lb deadlift? The answer is there isn't any. So for most people, bodyweight is a billion times better than channel surfing from the couch. But for serious athletes, it just can't provide the same amount of overload, nor can it be loaded in an incremental fashion. Bodyweight is great, but barbells, for my personal goals, are better tools for the job. I still do bodyweight stuff (dips, chin-ups, handstand pushups), but it's not the main focus of my strength programming, because it's limited. I'll never run out of space on my bar for another pair of plates (unless I buy a whole bunch of economy bumpers).
                            Hey, you'll get no argument from me there. I do think that almost everyone could benefit from incorporating more bodyweight movements, however. Just like you said, it doesn't have to be the focus, but I find improved balance, range, and flexibility have resulted from bodyweight work in a way that no lifting program ever has (granted it's been a while on that front).
                            I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

                            My Journal

                            Height: 6'3"
                            SW (Feb 2012): 278
                            SBF: 26% (Scale)
                            CW (Sept 2015): 200
                            CBF: 17% (Scale)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TimBell View Post
                              Hey Everyone! I just wrote up a blog post on my top 5 reasons I love bodyweight training, and why I use it as the root of all my training. Check it out and let me know what you think!

                              Jungle Fit - How Fitness Was Meant To Be!: 5 Reasons Bodyweight Workouts Are The Best!

                              - Tim
                              Nice article, Tim! It's always good to see trainers extolling the benefits of calisthenics!

                              Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              Yeah, I mean, to me it comes down to: What bodyweight movement is equivalent to a 300 lb squat? Or a 400 lb deadlift? The answer is there isn't any.
                              Bodyweight training is definitely difficult to quantify in the same way as weights, but I have to respectfully disagree. In my experience, being able to hold a back lever feels akin to approximately a double-bodyweight deadlift. And as for squatting, have you ever tried to do a pistol squat with your hands behind your back? I've squatted 300 lbs and I can tell you the hands-behind-the-back pistol is harder, at least for me.

                              I agree that if you want to get as good as possible at squatting and deadlifting, then it's best to lift weights. General strength is a more elusive thing to pin down, however.
                              "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

                              "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

                              My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X