The Belt and the Deadlift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Belt and the Deadlift

Everything about the way this guy writes makes me chuckle. Or maybe that's because I imagine Gorbag cringing....

T Nation | The Belt and the Deadlift
    The Champagne of Beards

Very boring article, nerding about rather irrelevant footnotes <yawn>! Seriously, he should get himself a case of Jim Beam and start drinking again, since I like better his polemic meathead articles when he Texas style shoots in all directions without hitting anything, much more fun…
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Good article. If I had $100 lying around, I probably would buy a thinner belt. But wearing my 4 in one a little higher works well enough.
      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

$87.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

RM, you're using a Best, right?
          I picked up an Athlete from Dean about 3 weeks and absolutely love it! I also wear it a little high for deads. There is a USPA meet out here in May and my extras funds are going to a singlet and entrance fees, otherwise I might look at the 3 inch.

Comment

I'll give it some consideration based on how much money I make this summer. I'd still like to pull 500 one of these days.
            In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by clevinger View Post
              RM, you're using a Best, right?
              Single-prong, in rust. Wouldn't use anything else. I do want a 3" also as soon as $87 becomes available.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I have a 4-inch belt. It doesn't seem to get in the way at all.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Oh I know mine will if I don't wear it high. He'll my own floating ribs can get in the way if I'm not carefully . I'm going right now for a first time.

Comment

The belt really makes it easier. I guess it does get in the way a little, but it's not too bad. I deadlifted 180 x 3 and it felt easy, I could have gone heavier. Then I did my back-off sets for 18 total reps at 165. Next week will be 185 no problemo. 200 here I come.

Comment

still havent tried the belt. i am dreading tomorrow. 85kgs x 5 twice. no belt and double over hand grip. i shouldnt psych myself out and should just do it. we shall see. if i make it thru, and i can still think, i will try it with the belt to see if i think it is easier. then i will do 100 kgs LOL

Comment

You can do it. I'm certain. By why the insistence on double overhand? If mixed grip helps, why not?

Comment

i find mixed grip makes me feel unbalanced. i already feel like one side is stronger than the other and my spine is twisted from carrying small children for years on the same hip. mixed grip is easier as i dont lose my grip but then if i can find some chalk to use, i dont either.

Comment

made the weights! 5 @ 82.5kgs followed by 2 sets of 5 @ 85kgs. i used some chalk for the 85kg sets but it was psychological i reckon. no belt and still double overhand grip. if i concentrate on driving up with my legs it is doable still. according to one of the online 1rm calculators which was relatively reliable last time i tried it, i should be able to lift 210lbs which calcs back to 95kg. i still have a ways to go to be able to dead 100kgs but i will keep working at it.

Comment

Wow! Congratulations! That's a lot of weight. I'm hoping to lift 200lbs soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X