The Belt and the Deadlift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
    I need to shift some attention to my grip strength. I had to mix grip starting at 250 or so because it was slipping from my hands. I've never revisited that and pushed it to see if I can hold a bit more weight now double overhand. Hhhmmm...I'll think about that on next deadlift day.
    Chalk can be a big help.

Also, don't let your grip slipping compromise your form. Like if you are about to drop the bar, don't do something stupid like suddenly dropping your hips or rounding your back so you can catch it. Just let it drop.

Comment

I do work sets with mixed and warmups with double overhand like other here have said. That seems to build my grip. Aren't you supposed to do hook grip rather than double overhand? I never could do it because the bars are too big for my hand. Only one bar is small enough but the knurling on it is like a rasp.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
        Chalk can be a big help.

Also, don't let your grip slipping compromise your form. Like if you are about to drop the bar, don't do something stupid like suddenly dropping your hips or rounding your back so you can catch it. Just let it drop.
        Yes to chalk! I chalk all the time. And don't worry, I drop those suckas when I have to! 😉

Comment

I need to shift some attention to my grip strength
          i find farmer's walks with big dumbbells and lunges with big heavy dumbbells help there. and chalk always helps.

what is the diff between hook grip and double overhand grip?

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
            what is the diff between hook grip and double overhand grip?
            With hook grip, you wrap your thumb around the bar first and then wrap your fingers around your thumb and the bar. It's a more secure grip, but it can hurt when you are first learning it. I think a lot of Olympic lifters tape their thumbs to make the hook grip more comfortable.

Verified by Wikipedia, lol:
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_grip

Comment

What is a good belt to get on a budget?

Comment

It'd be better to buy a quality belt that will last a long time, like the ones from Best Belts. Mine was about $80 when I got it, but they've probably increased since then. If you can't afford one now, start saving.
                In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                  It'd be better to buy a quality belt that will last a long time, like the ones from Best Belts. Mine was about $80 when I got it, but they've probably increased since then. If you can't afford one now, start saving.
                  some things in life you just go ahead and pay for highest quality.... anything that goes to health, performance, or safety fit that bill for me. But those are my priorities,,, to each their own.

Comment

Not to mention it's one of those "buy nice or buy twice" deals, since a quality belt, like a Best Belt, will last you the rest of your life.

It's kind of like buying dish sponges at the dollar store. They seem like a good deal, but you have to replace them 10 times as often, so in the long run, you lose money.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

With hook grip, you wrap your thumb around the bar first and then wrap your fingers around your thumb and the bar. It's a more secure grip, but it can hurt when you are first learning it. I think a lot of Olympic lifters tape their thumbs to make the hook grip more comfortable.
                      i would have to check when i go to the gym next but i am pretty sure i do as close an approximation to this as i can manage. i use the olympic bar so it is the 20kg one. i dont consider my hands to be small and my fingers are quite long but i guess it is all relative. compared to a man's hand they do look small.

slight side note. there were some listings for powerlifting suits on our version of ebay. oh my. $100 second hand and it was supposedly a good price. i can get a suit for squatting and a different suit for deadlifting, knee wraps and bench press shirts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                        i would have to check when i go to the gym next but i am pretty sure i do as close an approximation to this as i can manage. i use the olympic bar so it is the 20kg one. i dont consider my hands to be small and my fingers are quite long but i guess it is all relative. compared to a man's hand they do look small.

slight side note. there were some listings for powerlifting suits on our version of ebay. oh my. $100 second hand and it was supposedly a good price. i can get a suit for squatting and a different suit for deadlifting, knee wraps and bench press shirts!!!
                        Suits, shirts, and briefs store elastic energy and therefore help you complete the lift irrespective of your muscles contracting harder. They change the force curves of the exercise. If you're not going to compete geared, they're ill-advised, with the exception that old-fashioned, not too tight bench shirts are sometimes helpful for people with a history of shoulder injuries who can't safely bench press otherwise.

These things stand in stark contrast to things that allow your muscles to actually contract harder, like belts, shoes (if they help an individual lift more weight) squat racks, and barbells, which all allow you to lift more weight using your own force production mechanism (e.g. the muscles acting as class 1 levers on the bones).
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

yes i was quite amazed when i heard they existed. i never even knew they had separate suits for the squat and the deadlift till i saw these. kind of takes the fun out of it all. i think my personal trainer told me they can add anywhere up to 30kgs onto your deadlift. and with the benchpress, the powerlifters here only have to keep their feet on the floor and their shoulders on the bench so that is like a decline bench so you can add 20kgs or so for that without the shirt. i have stopped even reading the weights the powerlifters at my gym can do now as i dont think it is relevant at all to what i do. i still need to try that belt tho as there is one hanging around at the gym. i dont think i would have the nuts to take the shotgun belt LOL

Comment

Believe it or not, the top powerlifters in the equipped categories get hundred of kilograms out of their shirts and suit/knee wrap combos.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

wow! i do feel like i would be comparing apples with oranges as all i am really doing is competing with myself. i need to make progress so i need to lift more. or at the very least, the same amount as i did last week.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of equipped powerlifting at all, although I respect that those guys have to be ridiculously strong to squat 1200 and bench 1000 regardless of gear. Good thing raw powerlifting is making such a resurgence.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X