No announcement yet.

Landmine press, my new favorite press.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landmine press, my new favorite press.

I was supposed to do 50kg OHP the other day, but my shoulder felt a bit off, so I tried an exercise i've been wanting to do for a whole. The Landmine press, which for those of you who don't know, it's basically a 1 arm barbell press with one end of the bar either shoved into the corner of a gym or into a plate that has a barbell socket.

Has anyone else done/had experience in this exercise?

Im thinking on occasionally replacing it with the OHP, maybe in a 4 week on/off cycle.

Yup, these are awesome. I used to exclusively do them for presses before my shoulder got better.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

NOTR does a lot of his overhead pressing this way, if I'm not mistaken.

Then again, I'm often mistaken.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I love the idea of landmine exercises but I'm still trying to get my basics down(just started lifting) but they are on my to try list.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
          Yup, these are awesome. I used to exclusively do them for presses before my shoulder got better.

Sent via lightsaber
          That's awesome. Im waiting for my shoulder to get better, it's improving.

Is there a way to figure out the difference in weight between the original OHP and what you should be putting on the bar with the land mine press?

I thought it would be half weight but it was a lot more than what I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockstock View Post
            That's awesome. Im waiting for my shoulder to get better, it's improving.

Is there a way to figure out the difference in weight between the original OHP and what you should be putting on the bar with the land mine press?

I thought it would be half weight but it was a lot more than what I expected.
            Hard to calculate, obviously the steeper the angle the less the true resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              NOTR does a lot of his overhead pressing this way, if I'm not mistaken.

Then again, I'm often mistaken.
              i'm a big fan of them. i'm also a big fan of 1 arm db presses. my busted up shoulders feel a whole lot better doing these instead of doing a standard bb press. lately I've been doing handstand pushups instead

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                i'm a big fan of them. i'm also a big fan of 1 arm db presses. my busted up shoulders feel a whole lot better doing these instead of doing a standard bb press. lately I've been doing handstand pushups instead

Whats a day in the life of Not On The Rugs workout look like? exercises, sets and reps.
                Your busted up broken ass body is an inspiration.

Also, one element of hand stands I'm not quite sure of is are you supposed to set your shoulders down and back when holding the hand stand? I was going to throw them in as a stability exercise but I wasn't sure how I was supposed to set my shoulders.

Comment

Shrug your shoulders *up (actually down, in a handstand position) at the top of the movement.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Shrug your shoulders *up (actually down, in a handstand position) at the top of the movement.
                    Yeah, I tell people to grow 3 inches taller in a handstand. And keep your damn head in!

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

A review of the anatomy of the scapulae, the traps, and the surrounding/related bony and soft tissue will confirm that it's the right thing to do. Also, big traps = many awesomes.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Whats a day in the life of Not On The Rugs workout look like? exercises, sets and reps.
                        Your busted up broken ass body is an inspiration.

Also, one element of hand stands I'm not quite sure of is are you supposed to set your shoulders down and back when holding the hand stand? I was going to throw them in as a stability exercise but I wasn't sure how I was supposed to set my shoulders.
                        I change my workouts up a couple times per year, but the basic stuff stays the same.

for the fall and winter, I tend to focus on adding muscle mass. I stick to the major lifts like bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press (using landmines now), pullups/chin-ups, dips and 1 arm rows (using a barbell actually). sometimes I throw in things like db curls, skullcrushers, lateral raises, and a good old asskicker like bulgarian split squats. during this time I lift 2-3 times per week and eat in a caloric surplus. I don't count calories, I just eat more of everything. years ago, I lifted with more of a bodybuilding scheme of weight and reps. lots of volume, higher rep counts, etc. more recently, I did a bit of 5x5 and 3x5 stuff, but my shoulders and knees didn't appreciate it at all. so this past fall and winter I hung around the 8 rep range, 3-4 sets for each exercise. and everything felt good. a also do some boxing work for skills/conditioning/fun. that's usually 1-2 times per week during these seasons. mostly focus mits and heavybag work. some light sparring. I do a lot of hunting in the fall and winter, and quite honestly, that becomes my priority.

typically in the spring and summer, I'm spending more time outdoors and I am always riding my mountain bike and taking the kayak out on the lake right down the street from my house. I prefer to workout outdoors when at all possible, so I probably only lift weights once or maybe twice each week. I spend time working on jumprope skills, flipping my 450lb tractor tire, climbing ropes, running sprints, and doing a lot of bodyweight stuff with my homemade suspension trainer. I also increase the boxing stuff and we get together and box outside in the sun. it's the best. typically, the bodyweight stuff is unweighted, but occasionally i'll drape 10-20lbs of chains around my neck.

now for the past 3 weeks, I've been engaging in strictly bodyweight exercises. pushups, squats, lunges, pullups, handstand pushups, hanging leg raises, hyperextensions, and dips. i'm doing 3-4 sets of each exercise to failure. I had been doing all 8 exercises every other day, but so far this week, I've split them in half and am doing half of them each day, so I never actually have a "rest" day per se. I plan on continuing this for quite a while as the summer is coming up and i'm going to be shying away from my weights and spending more time in the sun. we'll see where it takes me.

as for the handstand, I focus on extending my arms and pushing in to the ground. it's hard to describe in any way other than that. i'm not really all that good at them at all. I do them against the wall by putting my feet on the wall, and then walking my hands inward until i'm upright. I can pull my feet away from the wall briefly, but not really walk out from the wall or hold it terrible long. when I do the handstand pushup, my toes touch the wall ever so slightly. perhaps mr anthony will chime in on this thread eventually and steer you in the right direction. you could also check out the handstand tutorial on beastskills.com

Comment

A review of the anatomy of the scapulae, the traps, and the surrounding/related bony and soft tissue will confirm that it's the right thing to do. Also, big traps = many awesomes.
                          So, when holding a static handstand (against the wall) Shrug up?

Comment

haha. mr a and rm both chimed in in the time it took me to type that post. both have good advice

Comment

So, when holding a static handstand (against the wall) Shrug up?
                              Yes. Do that.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X