Sandow plus website: Old-tme strongman-bodybuilders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
    Not trying to sound fancy here, but wd. you consider it maybe disproportionate development (today) in terms of order of importance/function? Some of the old-timers did gymnastic-type stuff that involved the whole body w/o the over-specialization of today,etc.
    Sure seems possible to me. Lots of the old timers prized shoulder and back development. I just don't see huge chests on any HG guys either. Big shoulders? Sure. Well defined back and legs? Yeah. Huge pecs? Meh...not from the pics I've seen. I don't think chest work got big till the 60's. Here is something I found from a 60's bodybuilding type site with a quote:

Grimek often cautioned readers of Strength and Health against overdeveloping the pectorals. He wrote,

"I am not suggesting that these muscles be ignored . . . they shouldn't be. But neither should they be developed beyond other proportions and infringe upon the body's symmetry. Body symmetry is more important and is the sole factor by which one physique is more outstanding than another - never overdevelopment of some muscle group."

The York strongman also warned that overdeveloped pectorals may begin to sag and acquire a flabby look, especially as the lifter approaches middle age and / or if he fails to train regularly.

Comment

Predictable perhaps. Nevertheless:

index.jpg

Symmetry IMO.
      Last edited by Terry H; 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Their workouts were much different !!!

Last edited by OldSchhool; 03-03-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Hah! Good ones. I was hoping you wd. chime in sometime. Your moniker kind of suggested that.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Body symmetry is more important and is the sole factor by which one physique is more outstanding than another - never overdevelopment of some muscle group."
            If you're into old school bodybuilding, or if you simply want to do it right, then these are words to live by.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              I don't think chest work got big till the 60's. Here is something I found from a 60's bodybuilding type site with a quote:..Grimek often cautioned readers of Strength and Health against overdeveloping the pectorals. He wrote,...The York strongman also warned that overdeveloped pectorals may begin to sag and acquire a flabby look, especially as the lifter approaches middle age and / or if he fails to train regularly.
              Yeah, I wish that overhead press was given as much its due today as it was before chesticles became so important. It's a better lift in every way but one (the ability to move more weight).

Until I decided to enter a PL meet, I was paying equal attention to them both, and once it's over, I'll make up for "neglecting" my press (by only working it once a week) and then some. Next big milestone is putting 185 overhead, then comes 200, then 2 plates. That will be a great day. And I'll feel strong.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                Hah! Good ones. I was hoping you wd. chime in sometime. Your moniker kind of suggested that.
                Oh I love seeing the old pics and reading about their routines/diets.

How about this guy.....

Profile of 1959 Mr. Universe, Bodybuilder Bruce Randall | Muscle and Brawn

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                  Oh I love seeing the old pics and reading about their routines/diets.

How about this guy.....

Profile of 1959 Mr. Universe, Bodybuilder Bruce Randall | Muscle and Brawn
                  Great story! Seemed like a very intelligent common sensical type fellow.

Comment

Working...
                  X