Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deadlifts and squats - different muscles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deadlifts and squats - different muscles?

    Hey

    Can someone actually identify the differences in muscles trained between the two exercises?

    Would appreciate it thanks
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

    No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

  • #2
    When done in a conventional way, deadlifts target your glutes and squats focus more on the quadriceps, although both exercises work both groups of muscles pretty well:

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

    I do both exercises once a week on different days (currently following 5/3/1)

    Comment


    • #3
      Squats and Deadlifts

      Yeah like yodiewan says, they are pretty similar but squats put more emphasis on the quads, deads more on the glutes and hammys. Also, deadlifts build grip strength, especially as you get into heavier weights.

      I actually wrote a blog post a little while back about squats and deadlifts: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2009/11/squats-and-deadlifts/
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

      "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

      My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Ooh mee meeeeeeeeee! Pick meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

        Sorry, I get excited when I hear "deadlift" since it's my personal favorite.

        If you read a lot about deadlifts, you'll hear a lot about "rear chain activation" or "posterior chain activation" or the like. This is fancy speak for "works so many muscles on the back half of your body that we're going to make up a special word for it." Deadlifts, when performed properly, involve a ton of hamstring and back activation. You can feel them from your arches all the way up to your neck; they're great for your core muscles (both backand abs.) They're also kind of hard to do right, as you have to activate the right muscles, in the right order, to get them down properly. Properly done, although you use your quads, they don't put strain on the knees as compared squats (I have an evil case of runners knee right now and can't squat past 60 degrees but can deadlift beautifully... I should probably mention that as weird as this is, I do all of my lifts in a mirror so I can watch my form).

        Here's my favorite primer:
        http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-dea...ng-techniques/

        As for squats, you will definitely feel it a lot more in your lower body. There are about a billion ways to do a squat (okay like ten) so here is a primer that might help.
        http://www.illpumpyouup.com/articles...-squatting.htm

        Comment


        • #5
          Cheers guys appreciate your help. Great links.

          Im alternating mine, but my small gym doesn't have a squat rack and Im getting to the point where I cant safely lift the squatting weight over my head so was wondering if I could focus on dead lifts for the heavy leg work.

          Might have to find a way round it in the long run, will have a detailed read of that article in particular M , I also like the idea that squats is good for hepling to rip your abs...
          www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

          No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
            Cheers guys appreciate your help. Great links.

            Im alternating mine, but my small gym doesn't have a squat rack and Im getting to the point where I cant safely lift the squatting weight over my head so was wondering if I could focus on dead lifts for the heavy leg work.

            Might have to find a way round it in the long run, will have a detailed read of that article in particular M , I also like the idea that squats is good for hepling to rip your abs...
            Do you squat ass to ground? If not then start immediately with a very light weight and that'll hold off your problem for a little while.
            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

            Comment


            • #7
              No not all the way down, I go pretty far but have been warned alot about going beyong 90degree bend at the knee, i.e. thighs paralelle with floor. Thanks though I'll bear it in mind!
              www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

              No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

              Comment


              • #8
                If squats are getting too easy and you can't safely add more weight, you might try working on one legged squats: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2009/10/doi...-pistol-squat/
                "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

                "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

                My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                  If squats are getting too easy and you can't safely add more weight, you might try working on one legged squats: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2009/10/doi...-pistol-squat/
                  that is an awesome idea! thankyou soo much will work toward mixin a few of those in
                  www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

                  No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
                    No not all the way down, I go pretty far but have been warned alot about going beyong 90degree bend at the knee, i.e. thighs paralelle with floor. Thanks though I'll bear it in mind!
                    Anyone who says that squatting past parallel is bad for your kness is an idiot. Squatting low (past parallel) is better for your knees than squatting to and above parallel, assuming that you are doing it correctly.

                    Most people have spent their lives seated (myself included) and have trained themselves against their natural ability to squat down. Most people have lost their flexibility and are no longer able to squat low without rounding their lower back, shifting the weight to their toes (very bad for your knees) or falling forward.

                    The best thing you can do is learn to squat as low as possible correctly.

                    And yes, your knees can go past your toes as long as you are squatting correctly.
                    Check out my blog!

                    http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

                    I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

                    We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fury22 View Post
                      Anyone who says that squatting past parallel is bad for your kness is an idiot. Squatting low (past parallel) is better for your knees than squatting to and above parallel, assuming that you are doing it correctly.

                      Most people have spent their lives seated (myself included) and have trained themselves against their natural ability to squat down. Most people have lost their flexibility and are no longer able to squat low without rounding their lower back, shifting the weight to their toes (very bad for your knees) or falling forward.

                      The best thing you can do is learn to squat as low as possible correctly.

                      And yes, your knees can go past your toes as long as you are squatting correctly.
                      +1
                      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X