How often do you do zero days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you do zero days?

My normal routine is to alternate running (3x/week) & the gym (3x/week), and then hike or bike on Sunday. So unless injured, I work out every day.

I actually took off yesterday, Christmas Day, no gym, no run, no hike, no bike. OK, so I walked a couple of easy miles with the SO...but it felt pretty good this morning to be fully rested.

I know "rest" is one of the cornerstones of the PB, though the Definitive Guide only says "sleep".

How often do you take a day or more *completely* off?
    Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

I take rest days pretty often. At least two days a week, sometimes a week or more straight! I have a standing job for the most part so I don't have to fight too hard at getting activity in. I usually go to the gym after I clock out and do 15 minutes of compound lifts and/or bodyweight stuff. But days I don't work? I'm pretty lazy if I can be. I need it.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      I'm pretty lazy if I can be.
      That's what I do as well, .

I lift 2-3 times per week and walk as much as I can but usually take it pretty easy on rest days.
      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Often. I check in with my muscles and joints before starting, and I may quit within a minute of starting to give myself an extra day or two of recovery.

Comment

I don't plan any off days, life seems to take care of that on it's own for me.

Comment

Roughly 7 days a week...
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

My basic routine is no more than 3 days lifting, 1 day with 1 hour intense cardio (boxing or spin). Sometimes I'll drop my lifting back to 2 days.

I walk to work (only 2 kms / 1 and a bit miles away from home), to the shops and anywhere within reasonable distance, so I get my slow moving from that and swimming.

If I were you, I'd change that 3 days of running to 2-3 days leisurely walking, and just find a time to give yourself a solid interval training session. It does you a world of good to have the rest, and interval training is the ultimate bang for your buck in conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                Roughly 7 days a week...
                Ha! Love this! I lift 3 days a week and live life as a stay-at-home mom of a six and three year old the rest of the days.

I've just now rolled off the sofa to head to the gym. I've been loving this holiday break. For some reason, the kids have let me loaf about - shocking! ;-)

Comment

I take a lot of days off I guess.... From gym gym workouts. But I walk a lot and kick soccer balls around. Not really a workout but I'm moving.
                  My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Comment

I don't have a set number of rest days. If I wake up int he morning and just cannot get motivated, then I will not go. Some days I figure this to be complete bullshit so I will start a workout. If I'm still not feeling it after 5-10 minutes I pack it in and head home. Usually I rest 1-2 days per week with this method. More often than not just one day though.

Comment

most days are rest days! I walk every lunch but only do strength training once a month and rarely do any serious cardio

Comment

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
                        If I were you, I'd change that 3 days of running to 2-3 days leisurely walking, and just find a time to give yourself a solid interval training session. It does you a world of good to have the rest, and interval training is the ultimate bang for your buck in conditioning.
                        I've been running 3x/week for 40 years (I am 60 yo). My body is incredibly accustomed to this routine - if I go more than a few days w/o a run, my legs ache. I have no problems with any of my leg joints. I added intervals to my regimen a few months ago, I agree they are a great bang for the buck.

Beware of trading one CW for another. IMHO, Mark is biased against cardio because he burnt himself out competing. I have not done this. I enjoy running. I put my belief in the Paleo studies that show humans were indeed Born to Run. You wouldn't have an achilles tendon if you were not.

Good for you that you swim on a regular basis. I add that to my cross-training rotation during the summer months. It is the perfect exercise.
                        Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

For me it is weights twice a week and at least one but most of the time two other trips to the gym for intervals. Sometimes the other 3 days are rest and sometimes I do some slow aerobic something. A nice long walk for example because I feel like it. I work long days so that is about as much as makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
                            I've been running 3x/week for 40 years (I am 60 yo). My body is incredibly accustomed to this routine - if I go more than a few days w/o a run, my legs ache. I have no problems with any of my leg joints. I added intervals to my regimen a few months ago, I agree they are a great bang for the buck.

Beware of trading one CW for another. IMHO, Mark is biased against cardio because he burnt himself out competing. I have not done this. I enjoy running. I put my belief in the Paleo studies that show humans were indeed Born to Run. You wouldn't have an achilles tendon if you were not.

Good for you that you swim on a regular basis. I add that to my cross-training rotation during the summer months. It is the perfect exercise.
                            depends on how much you're running
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g8e...q0KOeIwCGgfMhZ
                            and I'd say it depends on you dominate fast/slow twitch muscle fibers. Plus if you are built heavy boned running a lot can play heck with the knees.
                            Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post

Fair call, but Scott also makes a good point. At 18-20% body fat, I'm still tipping the scales at 220 or so. Having a low centre of gravity (ie fat ass), my joints just won't cop that kind of activity, which is a big part of the reason for my own recommendation. I could bike or swim strictly for 3 days instead, but I've found taking longer cardio sessions beyond 1 day per week gives me diminishing returns for fuel required vs fat loss.

I also agree we're all born to run, but how much and how intensely varies from person to person. I'm a natural sprinter and jumper (big calves, giant quads and glutes) with a big preponderance of fast twitch muscles in my lower body. I just can't do the distance thing and feel good. I've tried, and the results aren't pretty. That does naturally bias me against lots and lots of running as a general training modality, but of course the crucial thing is how it works for you.

Maybe if you throw in an alternating deload on your running and lifting cycles (once per four weeks each, say), that would be a more feasible way to recharge while getting in your activity?

Comment

Working...
                              X