Is perpetual training hard on the body?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
    Hey! I played tennis in high school at rugby in college (American University in DC)! Prop, tight head, #3)! Our builds are very opposite but I certainly remember that my body composition adjusted between the two sports. Aaahhhh...those were the days....
    Hah! Another member of the front row Good to see. I got chucked into tight head at the tender age of thirteen and pretty much stayed there for the next twelve or so years apart for some brief forays to number 8 and blind side flanker.

Very few activities build your musculature like scrummage work, particularly anywhere in the tight 5, as I'm sure you've both noticed. I do absolute zero targeted work on my neck, traps or calves and they're all still relatively big and strong five years since I've stopped playing.

Good to see a good number of tight forwards (the real workhorses) on here Makes me proud

Comment

Originally posted by Reventon View Post
      the real workhorses
      Damn straight! ;-)

Comment

Hah! Another member of the front row Good to see. I got chucked into tight head at the tender age of thirteen and pretty much stayed there for the next twelve or so years apart for some brief forays to number 8 and blind side flanker.

Very few activities build your musculature like scrummage work, particularly anywhere in the tight 5, as I'm sure you've both noticed. I do absolute zero targeted work on my neck, traps or calves and they're all still relatively big and strong five years since I've stopped playing.

Good to see a good number of tight forwards (the real workhorses) on here Makes me proud
        Love seeing rugby players on here! Don't run into many of them in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanna View Post
          Love seeing rugby players on here! Don't run into many of them in the US.
          Wouldn't imagine so. Even here in Australia where it's a sport we're consistently in the top handful of nations competitively, it's still relatively small both regionally and judged by absolute numbers because of competition from other football codes.

I've played with a couple of guys who started in the states and came down here during or after college and the relative skill level was pretty good, especially given they grew up gearing towards a skillset with different nuances for American football.

Comment

Wouldn't imagine so. Even here in Australia where it's a sport we're consistently in the top handful of nations competitively, it's still relatively small both regionally and judged by absolute numbers because of competition from other football codes.

I've played with a couple of guys who started in the states and came down here during or after college and the relative skill level was pretty good, especially given they grew up gearing towards a skillset with different nuances for American football.
            I had a British coach in college and learned so much about strategy from him. Sometimes, the football players (American football) were the hardest to adapt to the game, even if they were great athletes. So hard to break them of the instinct to tackle high, like right around the shoulders or neck.

Talking about is making me miss it! A lot of the draw for certain sports for me, aside from high physical intensity, are the people you get to know who also play. Rugby and racquetball are the two high water marks as far as drawing a great group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanna View Post
              Rugby and racquetball are the two high water marks as far as drawing a great group of people.
              Never played racquetball, but for rugby unquestionably so. There's an old adage that you either belong to a rugby club and happen to go drinking with each other, or you belong to a drinking club and happen to play rugby

The watermark gets set pretty high in rugby due to the sheer level of trust required, I think. Every role is integral for good play, but the reality is that for tight forwards especially you rely on the man (or woman) next to you to keep you safe. If they screw it up, it's quite literally everyone's necks on the line. Leads to some good camaraderie off the field.

Comment

Working...
              X