Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C'mon now there must be more to discuss ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C'mon now there must be more to discuss ???

Let's liven this forum up a little and get some debate going on !

I realize that many on here don't particularly enjoy getting into debate over training topics, I can tell by their posts that some even get angry but that's what I enjoy the most.

My wife describes me as a ' Shit disturber ' but I just like to get people thinking and creating constructive debate.

If any of my advice helps even one person on here then that I consider that a job well done as it's one more person than I would have helped had I not joined this great forum.

So c'mon guys/gals get your thinking caps on and get posting on anything training related....Best exercises for arms, best exercises for shoulders without causing injury, strength curves, angles, rep ranges, volume, improving grip strength...etc,etc.

Let's get some posts going !!!

I HATE the leg press! How can anyone punish ones knees in that way????
    Best exercise for shoulders, arms and many more muscles: dive bombers! I'm dying doing them!

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
      Let's liven this forum up a little and get some debate going on !

I realize that many on here don't particularly enjoy getting into debate over training topics, I can tell by their posts that some even get angry but that's what I enjoy the most.

My wife describes me as a ' Shit disturber ' but I just like to get people thinking and creating constructive debate.

If any of my advice helps even one person on here then that I consider that a job well done as it's one more person than I would have helped had I not joined this great forum.

So c'mon guys/gals get your thinking caps on and get posting on anything training related....Best exercises for arms, best exercises for shoulders without causing injury, strength curves, angles, rep ranges, volume, improving grip strength...etc,etc.

Let's get some posts going !!!
      I like debating this stuff. I am currently using the following accessory work (in addition to squats, deadlifts, the presses, and the power clean):

Monday: Chin-ups & dips (varying loading parameters and rep ranges) (after squats, bench press, and power cleans)
      Thursday: Curls in the squat rack and LTE's (behind the head, no strict tricep isolation style) (after deadlift, press, and light squats)

The accessory work seems to be helping my presses continue upward progress, and nobody hates growing the gunz, so it's all win.

Anything
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Drew Baye kicks puppies!
        Gorbag's shorts are hideous!
        Adolescent girls grow better beards than RichMahogany!

How's that for stirring things?

Comment

Aren't you guys training flexibilty at all? Stretches? Yoga? What about the saying that you'll get stiff and less flexible over time?
          wouldn't want to miss my stretching and Yoga Is it just a girls thing??

Comment

It is all about CITUL (calories in, time under load). Anybody who thinks differently is an n=1 wanker. So there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              Drew Baye kicks puppies!
              Gorbag's shorts are hideous!

How's that for stirring things?
              I thought those were all widely accepted truths. methinks you didn't understand the point of this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                Mr. Anthony hangs out with bearded adolescent girls. You heard it right from the source.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Thought there should be a "serious" discussion going on here?!?!?
                  For sure, I'm not as experienced as you are, but I was looking foward to at least trying to "discuss"...but that doesn't seem to happen

Comment

I haven't really trained abs much as I think they kind of get worked but as an experiment I have been trying this T NATION | Heavy Ab Training as seen in the second clip. It's hard work but am I wasting my time? I have just started 1st cycle of 5/3/1 with BBB for assistance.
                    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gergirl View Post
                      Thought there should be a "serious" discussion going on here?!?!?
                      For sure, I'm not as experienced as you are, but I was looking foward to at least trying to "discuss"...but that doesn't seem to happen
                      Ok, ok. Here is a question on prioritizing time investment in a time limited world. My 'gym' is my house and yard equipped with pull up bar, squat stands that work for squats, OH press, and Bench press. I have been following starting strength for several months after a few years of body weight work, all a bit on and off. Due to job, travel, family demands, it is hard to get bigger blocks of uninterrupted time for workouts. I find that the SS workouts take a long time, between warm up sets and recovery between work sets. While I would be happy with some improvement in lifting numbers, at the end of the day (and at 55 years old) I would be satisfied with strength maintenance and wouldn't mind leaning out slightly (currently 5'8" 162). I am generally active most days (walking, playing with kid, skiing) and sprint occasionally (harder to pull off in the winter).

What would a more time efficient protocol be that would be effective at helping me meet my goals that would also be safe (given that I don't have a full squat rack)?

Comment

Aren't you guys training flexibilty at all? Stretches? Yoga? What about the saying that you'll get stiff and less flexible over time?
                        Well I wouldn't want you to feel ganged up on with this one

Many would argue that performing strength training through a full ROM is better for the joints and mobility than any static stretching program. In fact there has been much debate in the biomechanics field especially in regards to back pain. It seems stretching the hamstrings and associated muscle does not lead to less frequent back injury. Its relative spinal stabilizer muscle ENDURANCE strength that is most correlative. In fact one study showed that males able to hold a side plank for longer than 83 seconds (and females for sixty something) where at the lowest risk of having low back pain. Static stretching prior to strength training was also shown to reduce total strength on the performed exercises vs not stretching prior to doing those same exercises.

K there ya go.... some super cereal discussion for ya

Comment

And for some other discussion I am also in the non-programmed program group right now. That is I have the very loosest definition of a "program". Its very ....oh whats that guys name..... ahhh Art Devany? The randomness of it.

So when I go in I know I'm gonna do the following: A compound leg, compound pull, and a coumpound push. I just have no idea which ones or if I'm going for a set of 3 reps or a set of 12 until after I change into my workout clothes. Then I take an inventory of what I did last couple workouts and just make sure I'm doing some different stuff this time....

So last workout was: Romanian dead lift, weighted dips, weighted chins, curls, tricep pushdowns, and lateral delt machine. All done in the "get swolled" rep range of about 8-12 reps and many of them with drop sets.

Course next time I'm thinking: Leg Press, standing press, dumbell rows, flys, myotic crunch, leg curls, maybe some chopping motions too. First three done in the 3-6 rep range adn last 3 in the 6-10 probably.

No rest between exercises (or least less than a minute)

Then I may or may not do a third workout this week. I will definitely do one or two HIIT days though. If I do them on non lift days I'll do 8-10 sets of 20/40....or I'll run straight to them right after my last lift and do only 4-6 sets on lift days.

Hahah....the only think I track is every couple or few weeks I tend to do my 3-5 rep maxes with standing press, weighted dips, weighted chins, and deadlifts. As you can see this week I get to see what my standing press is
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-16-2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Well I wouldn't want you to feel ganged up on with this one

Many would argue that performing strength training through a full ROM is better for the joints and mobility than any static stretching program. In fact there has been much debate in the biomechanics field especially in regards to back pain. It seems stretching the hamstrings and associated muscle does not lead to less frequent back injury. Its relative spinal stabilizer muscle ENDURANCE strength that is most correlative. In fact one study showed that males able to hold a side plank for longer than 83 seconds (and females for sixty something) where at the lowest risk of having low back pain. Static stretching prior to strength training was also shown to reduce total strength on the performed exercises vs not stretching prior to doing those same exercises.
                            Know this points of discussion..but Yoga and stretching are about breathing, too. And breathing conciously is important for lifting, too.Isn't it? My Yoga isn't really static, it's a more dynamic flow.
                            I'm off from acertain programme, too. Right now I feel more motivated to switch between exercises and the kinds of workout. It's more like cycling the body parts and exercises on aregular basis during the week than having a real plan of how much weight and reps...I'm just not the programme type when it comes to training.

Comment

People who like stretching for its own sake are a rare breed indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X