Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squats: My mind's playing tricks on me...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Squats: My mind's playing tricks on me...

    Now that the weight is heavy (for me anyway), I'm finding that squatting is a serious mental thing. Is it just me? I'm a 5'3 female and today did 175lbs for 10 and 165lbs for 15. With the 175, towards the end, I found myself actually afraid that when I go down, I might not come back up. Now, I'm working out with nationally-ranked power lifters as trainers and in a safe environment. So when I say scared I don't mean scared that I'll hurt myself. I think I mean scared from an ego standpoint, I guess? I don't like to fail, I guess. So I unrack the weight, feel it heavy on my back, start to lower and then think...oh good God...

    So I've noticed this about myself and I'm trying to mentally steel myself and attack it, but the fear is still there.

    Am I crazy? Do I just have to woman up? ;-) Do I need inspiring music? Mantras to recite? ;-) I don't want to be afraid of the weight. I'm certainly not with deadlifting. I'm not with most things in life! I guess I just feel in such a "vulnerable" position in the hole - add to that 175lbs and it's a recipe for my mind to start working against me.

    Thoughts? I'll take the sweet and nice comments as well as the "suck it up and handle business" comments! ;-)

  • #2
    I fear it and love it at the same time, that thought that crosses your mind just before you lower yourself, thinking theres no way back past that point and this bitch is coming back no room for failure once i begin the descent. Its great motivation and a challenge of strength and heart.

    Thats one thing i love about working out alone and no spot, its do or die pretty much with every set. Deadlifting and squatting i find are pretty mentally taxing, you gotta keep form in mind and then just push through barriers.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you never fail you ain't aiming high enough.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        If you never fail you ain't aiming high enough.
        Touché!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zizou View Post
          I fear it and love it at the same time, that thought that crosses your mind just before you lower yourself, thinking theres no way back past that point and this bitch is coming back no room for failure once i begin the descent. Its great motivation and a challenge of strength and heart.

          Thats one thing i love about working out alone and no spot, its do or die pretty much with every set. Deadlifting and squatting i find are pretty mentally taxing, you gotta keep form in mind and then just push through barriers.
          That's a positive way of looking at it! One of the reasons I love those two compound exercises is because of the brain work involved. In a previous life I was on a treadmill making grocery lists in my mind or planning my calendar. With squats and deadlifts my mind CANNOT and DOES NOT wander!

          So have you ever had to let the weight drop? If so, how have you recovered mentally?

          Comment


          • #6
            ^There is a legit fear with free weights.....the good news is that learning how to safely get rid of the weight when (when...not if ) it is too much for you is part of the learning process. You gotta get competitive about it. Its you vs the weight! Round 1 went to the weight...are you gonna let it beat you again? Hell no! Get under it and pound that *%#*!!!! Seriously, use a little rage...take it personally...get pissed if you fail, and use it next time. This is what I've learned and used both as a wrestler and weight lifter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by edennperez1 View Post
              Now that the weight is heavy (for me anyway), I'm finding that squatting is a serious mental thing. Is it just me? I'm a 5'3 female and today did 175lbs for 10 and 165lbs for 15. With the 175, towards the end, I found myself actually afraid that when I go down, I might not come back up. Now, I'm working out with nationally-ranked power lifters as trainers and in a safe environment. So when I say scared I don't mean scared that I'll hurt myself. I think I mean scared from an ego standpoint, I guess? I don't like to fail, I guess. So I unrack the weight, feel it heavy on my back, start to lower and then think...oh good God...

              So I've noticed this about myself and I'm trying to mentally steel myself and attack it, but the fear is still there.

              Am I crazy? Do I just have to woman up? ;-) Do I need inspiring music? Mantras to recite? ;-) I don't want to be afraid of the weight. I'm certainly not with deadlifting. I'm not with most things in life! I guess I just feel in such a "vulnerable" position in the hole - add to that 175lbs and it's a recipe for my mind to start working against me.

              Thoughts? I'll take the sweet and nice comments as well as the "suck it up and handle business" comments! ;-)
              Fear is the ego that tries to hold you back from your dreams. Once ego is gone fear has no hold and is left in the shadows.

              So

              Rip, the shit, out if the weights!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
                Fear is the ego that tries to hold you back from your dreams. Once ego is gone fear has no hold and is left in the shadows.

                So

                Rip, the shit, out if the weights!!!!
                *of

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
                  Fear is the ego that tries to hold you back from your dreams. Once ego is gone fear has no hold and is left in the shadows.

                  So

                  Rip, the shit, out if the weights!!!!
                  I like that.....seems from my answer that I tend to take things from ego to greater ego in that context though *how dare you defy me weight! you will go up!!! Wait, thats not ego in psychological sense though is it? We're talking feud stuff huh.
                  Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-13-2013, 10:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    I like that.....seems from my answer that I tend to take things from ego to greater ego in that context though *how dare you defy me weight! you will go up!!!
                    Thanks man I just made that up! I'm guilty of it too. I think we all are at some point.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks everyone! Yep, ego/fear - my friend and nemesis. Next squat day is Friday, a week from today. I'm gonna rip the sh*t outta that weight. Stay tuned!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I get like this with deadlift PRs. I pace like a caged tiger before I grab the bar. I don't mind dumping squats if it all goes wrong. They just make me feel like I might die.

                        Sent via lightsaber

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like to think about boobies when exerting. Adds at least 20% to my strength. Maybe you should think about...whatever revs you up?
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            I like to think about boobies when exerting. Adds at least 20% to my strength. Maybe you should think about...whatever revs you up?
                            love it, i might use this one ha ha

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Glad I'm not the only one OP! Even though I've got a full cage setup with safety bars I still have to get over that fear/trepidation and into that mental sweet spot. Interestingly it took me sometime to get it back. I used to dead 220kg years ago and have been working my way back up. When I hit 185kg it took me about 4 weeks to be able to hit the sweet spot and stay there long enough to make the lift. Mr. Anthony describes it perfectly, I feel the same way as I prowl around the bar trying to force that moment to hit my brain, when I know my whole body is ready to fire and my mind too. It's much harder for me now though because I workout alone. When I used to lift it was at a gym and my mate was lifting 220kg as well. I didn't realise the value of him standing there and stopping my procrastination with a well timed, "Lets do this! Heels and hips! Drive! Drive! Drive!" Now all I get is the music in the background to fire me up. It's a whole different ball game!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X