Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaining fat when exercising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gaining fat when exercising

    Hi everyone;

    I've been primal for about 3 years. After losing a lot of weight the first year my weight had been stable for the last 2 years or so. My only exercise was walking which I do every day.

    About 6 months ago I finally found a workout I really love (the first time I've enjoyed exercise!!). It's a krav maga class where the first 30 minutes are intense workout and the last 30 minutes are technique. Over that six month I gained about 20 lbs, but I did not blame the exercise. Not muscle - definitely fat.

    Then I injured my shoulder and had to take about 6 weeks off from working out and suddenly I started losing the weight without trying. It was great. I went back to my workouts thinking that it would help even more, and lo and behold I am gaining weight again!! Quickly - and all fat!!

    I am pretty careful about my diet. Not perfect, but I never was perfect before and my weight was fine.

    I have tried doing a bit of reading and I do see people complain of this, but no explanation is given.

    What would cause this? Any ideas how to counteract it? I do NOT want to calorie count, etc. But I hate to give up on working out. I really really love it!

    Thanks
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  • #2
    How intense is your class (meaning : do you involve the whole body into resistance efforts ?) and how often in the week ? How did you adapt your diet to your training ? What is your diet actually in general ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you eating more when you work out? I know that happens a lot to people. When you are working out you get hungry and we tend to think that since we worked out hard we can eat more.

      Comment


      • #4
        a lot of times when people start exercising, they eat more. whether it's a conscious decision or not

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't count calories, so certainly it's possible (and likely) that I'm just eating more. Not consciously.

          My diet is autoimmune paleo - meat, veggies, tubers, fruit, occasional white rice. Dairy is limited. No eggs, nuts, or nightshades.


          It's pretty annoying though - I sit at a healthy weight with no effort, counting, or active restriction if I limit myself to walking. I add in exercise and suddenly I can't trust my body to know how much to eat? That stinks.
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

          http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
            How intense is your class (meaning : do you involve the whole body into resistance efforts ?) and how often in the week ? How did you adapt your diet to your training ? What is your diet actually in general ?
            The class is variable in intensity, but involves running, punching, burpees, lunges, push-up, squats, jumping over and under roaps and people, line sprints, etc. The second half is usually some type of defense against attack, which can be a little rigorous, but not usually too much.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

            http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jammies View Post
              It's pretty annoying though - I sit at a healthy weight with no effort, counting, or active restriction if I limit myself to walking. I add in exercise and suddenly I can't trust my body to know how much to eat? That stinks.
              Taubes covers it in his book -- it's called "working up an appetite".

              Comment


              • #8
                There are two categories of people - those whose appetite is not heightened up by the excersise and those who have the significant increase. There are a few ways to help it (I deal with the same problem as well).

                Frequency of the intense vs non-intense excersise. How often do you do you MA class? DO you intersperse it with a day of complete rest and low caloric intake? The good news is that appetite is actually lower for inactive days, so you can cut down without much suffering (miss a meal or two if you can).

                Timing of excersise. If you workout earlier in the day, your appetite will pick up about an hour or two after the class, and you will keep eating more. If you workout right before bed, you might manage to fall asleep and sleep through the appetite/sugar spike.

                Eating carbs right after workout. Try a banana or a boiled plain potato after a workout and see if you feel less hungry.

                Because you know you gonna be hungry on KM day anyway, and will eat more, try a mega hit on CO side, adding in either a run or a low weight-high rep lifting session for 30-40 min to try to balance the calories.

                Also, I know in my MA class a lot of things done during the 30 min warm-up have arbitrary value. Honestly, I don't think anyone needs 10 sets of abdominal crunches, as much as the core is of a paramount, and 30 push-ups are pretty decent, 60 is not always better....
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  There are two categories of people - those whose appetite is not heightened up by the excersise and those who have the significant increase. There are a few ways to help it (I deal with the same problem as well).

                  Frequency of the intense vs non-intense excersise. How often do you do you MA class? DO you intersperse it with a day of complete rest and low caloric intake? The good news is that appetite is actually lower for inactive days, so you can cut down without much suffering (miss a meal or two if you can).

                  Timing of excersise. If you workout earlier in the day, your appetite will pick up about an hour or two after the class, and you will keep eating more. If you workout right before bed, you might manage to fall asleep and sleep through the appetite/sugar spike.

                  Eating carbs right after workout. Try a banana or a boiled plain potato after a workout and see if you feel less hungry.

                  Because you know you gonna be hungry on KM day anyway, and will eat more, try a mega hit on CO side, adding in either a run or a low weight-high rep lifting session for 30-40 min to try to balance the calories.

                  Also, I know in my MA class a lot of things done during the 30 min warm-up have arbitrary value. Honestly, I don't think anyone needs 10 sets of abdominal crunches, as much as the core is of a paramount, and 30 push-ups are pretty decent, 60 is not always better....
                  Thanks Leida. I work out 2-3 times per week. I have rheumatoid arthritis and problems with fatigue, so even that much vigorous exercise is really pushing it for me. The other days of the week I don't work out other than walking and/or some longer hiking on the weekends. I workout in the evening, either 5 pm or 7 pm. Saturdays I work out at ten am.

                  The weird thing is that i don't actually notice that I feel more hungry or really even that I am eating more. But I must be. Right now I am taking a complete break from it to see if my weight goes back to my baseline and confirm it really is the issue. I guess when I start up I could skip the hard workout part and just do the MA part, but that really makes me sad.

                  I could try the carb after the workout thing.

                  So why doesn't my body just want to eat enough extra calories to cover the calories burned during the workout? Is it a stress response type thing?

                  This is bumming me out.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                  http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jammies, in another thread you were concerned about your thyroid health. If you do have slowing thyroid function, it is possible that your exercise has impacted that function and/or stressed your adrenals in the process. Those two things--lower thyroid functioning and stressed adrenals--can have weight gain as a symptom.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      Jammies, in another thread you were concerned about your thyroid health. If you do have slowing thyroid function, it is possible that your exercise has impacted that function and/or stressed your adrenals in the process. Those two things--lower thyroid functioning and stressed adrenals--can have weight gain as a symptom.
                      Interesting. I was wondering if the two things could be related. So the exercise stresses adrenals, which slows the thyroid, which causes the weight gain?

                      How do you protect your adrenals when doing vigorous exercise?
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                      http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jammies View Post
                        Interesting. I was wondering if the two things could be related. So the exercise stresses adrenals, which slows the thyroid, which causes the weight gain?

                        How do you protect your adrenals when doing vigorous exercise?

                        A wise woman on another forum told me when I was diagnosed that increasing the volume or intensity of exercise while trying to heal from inadequate thyroid hormone is not a good idea. She said the body needs to focus on healing, not be stressed by increased exercise and/or weight loss efforts.

                        With that being said, I gave my body six months, after finally getting optimally treated, before I worked on diet and exercise.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X