Please!!!! Help!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please!!!! Help!!!

I am 20 years old and I recently read The Primal Blueprint! I am really lost and confused on how to get started for some reason... If anyone would be so kind to help me out with like a weekly regimen to follow and some nutrition advice I would really appreciate it? I just didn't get much direction as far as starting and stuff from the book. I know that was his intentions, but I need just a bit more direction haha! THANKS FELLOW GROKERS!!!

Well if it's any help, I didn't jump right in with both feet. It was a gradual evolution, one step at a time.

First I cut out the sugar. Once I got used to that I cut out the flour, rice, potatoes, etc. Sure, I still ate "whole grains" and eventually reduced those to "treats" like my pay day pizzas- lol. This was all pre-Primal but at least I was already headed in the right direction. Upon finding MDA, I dropped the rest of the grains, corn, and a lot of dairy. I still do butter, cheese and heavy cream once in a while.

Think baby steps.

Comment

go here first: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Here's the links page for almost any question that you have starting out. Just start reading the links to the various blog posts and along with what you read in the book it should all make sense.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
        Yesterday is History
        Tomorrow's a Mystery ~ Today is a Gift...
        That is why they call it THE PRESENT

Comment

oh wow- I sat on this cause I'm at work.. had to run before I hit send... great minds think alike huh?
          Yesterday is History
          Tomorrow's a Mystery ~ Today is a Gift...
          That is why they call it THE PRESENT

Comment

Welcome, dam2034!

Diana's right; the biggest initial gains come from dropping sugar and grains. Then, see how low you can get your carbs on a diet of mainly fatty meat and dark green vegetables. Give the 10 Primal Blueprint Laws a thorough reading and think about how you can improve your compliance with each one. Go for lots of walks and maybe pick up a sledgehammer. After a few weeks of all that, you'll be on your way and nothing will be able to stop you.

Congrats on finding the blueprint at age 20, a wonderful age to discover your body's potential. I think you're going to be very happy with the results!

Comment

I hope these help!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-ba...ou-get-primal/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...ix-easy-steps/

Also, stay tuned for the Primal Leap Kit due out later this year. It will tell you exactly what to do for 30 days to help you "go Primal":

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...0-action-plan/

Comment

Thank a lot everyone!!! I think I can come up with something haha

Comment

To start off add things don't drop things. When I started my first step was a big ass salad for lunch every day. That = no more wraps or sandwiches, and then move on to breafast etc.. Believe it or not I've had a salad for lunch at least 5 days per week for over a year and a half. When you start adding good clean whole foods the bad stuff gets dropped easy.

And a lesson from my 6year old, before you consume anything ask what its going to do for you.... This is a 6year old who has never tasted a soda of any kind, turns down cake at parties, and needs to play outside every day (even in the winter) to get his vitamin D.

Comment

My primal journey has been much like Diana's and others. I started out giving up sweets (cookies, pie, cake, etc), which was probably one of the hardest things for me. After that, though, as I learned more about PB, I just added and subtracted as I went along. I was still eating breakfast cereal or oatmeal, but then I switched to eggs or protein drinks in the morning. I started working out in the morning, too. After that I was eating a lot of meat, veggies, and fruit. Slowly, as I read and learned, I've cut down on fruit to lose the last few stubborn pounds. But in the beginning, just by cutting out sweets and some refined carbs, I lost weight pretty easily. Just take it slowly and try one thing at a time. You can learn and adjust as you go along.

Comment

Welcome fellow early 20's PBer! It's a whole lot easier than it sounds, after reading the book I was so inspired, the forum is super helpful too! Basically stick to REAL food and then tweaking your diet to fit you from there! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        And a lesson from my 6year old, before you consume anything ask what its going to do for you.... This is a 6year old who has never tasted a soda of any kind, turns down cake at parties, and needs to play outside every day (even in the winter) to get his vitamin D.
                        That is awesome! Keep in mind though, that even at 33N, we can only get sufficient D from sun alone midmay-midsept. The rest of the time we can get sufficient UVA to cause photodamage but not enough to boost the D.

See my D link in my sig line for more info.

Best,
                        Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                          That is awesome! Keep in mind though, that even at 33N, we can only get sufficient D from sun alone midmay-midsept. The rest of the time we can get sufficient UVA to cause photodamage but not enough to boost the D.

See my D link in my sig line for more info.

Best,
                          Katherine
                          Question, do you work for a Vitamin D company or something?
                          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                            Question, do you work for a Vitamin D company or something?
                            I wish!

After a lifetime of extremely poor heath and worsening health problems, I began working with an amazing nutritionist (kripin.com) who insists upon D testing for her clients. That was in 2002. My D was low. Over time, I dosed D, tested, dosed, increased doses, tested etc until my levels were in the middle of the reference range. You can see my first journal post to see the long list of health problems that have evaporated. Wild, really.

I found the science of D interesting as hardcore evolutionist and armchair biological anthropologist. Best friend is on faculty at Harvard - biological anthropologist (though the dept is now called Human Evolutionary Biology). My background is medical though I didn't finish my program.
                            Will soon be helping out in this lab at Emory using calcitriol and progesterone in the treatment of traumatic brain injury
                            : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1190...googlenews_wsj
                            [HTML] Progesterone with vitamin D affords better neuroprotection against excitotoxicity in cultured cortical neurons than progesterone alone

nih.gov [HTML]F Atif, I Sayeed, T Ishrat, DG Stein - 2009 - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
                            ... placenta is stimulated by calcitriol. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;103:529–32. [PubMed].
                            32. Brinton RD, et al. Progesterone receptors: form and function in brain. Front Neuroendocrinol.
                            2008;29:313–39. [PubMed]. 33. Schumacher M, Guennoun R, Stein DG, De Nicola AF. ...
                            Cited by 2 - Related articles - All 6 versions

Dr. Stein discovered that progesterone, a hormone typically thought of as female but actually present in both sexes as a neuroprotectant, resulted in in improved recovery from TBI. Now, almost 40 years after his initial, accidental discovery, progesterone in the tx of TBI is in phase III multi center clinical trials
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYilY7HSr2Q

The short version of that? If you, G-d forbid, sustain a head injury and can be taken to a participating hospital, you want into the study. Actually, I'd want the progesterone...but we can't choose that option yet. So study it is, then progesterone will soon follow.

So far, his emerging data is indicating that D and progesterone together are more beneficial than just progesterone alone. Not only for closed head injuries but for CNS injury from stroke other head injuries.

My brother is a cardio thoracic anesthesiologist with a strong interest in D research so that's another avenue for discussing compelling new d information as well.

Best,
                            Katherine
                            Last edited by cillakat; 05-22-2010, 12:01 PM. Reason: formatting

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                            X