Post Partum Belly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Partum Belly

Hi all! As you all know, Knifegill and I have a lovely little baby boy. Heís adorable, but heís really messed up my belly area. Yes, I know, a little belly is perfectly normal two months after giving birth, and Iím not concerned about losing weight yet. What Iím concerned about is my insides. It feels like my intestines are hanging out from my body, like they never went back to where they were before I got pregnant. For instance, when I lie on my side, I have to support my little belly with a pillow, or itís really uncomfortable.

I was wondering if there were any exercises I could do to tighten up my muscles in my abdomen to hold my insides in better, if that makes sense? Or should I use one of those post-partum belly band things (do those do anything other than make you look like your belly is flat?) Or will this all figure itself out by itself?

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Pelvic floor exercises. I wouldn't recommend any ab exercise for another 6-8 weeks. Your muscles stretch (& in some cases tear) to accommodate baby & need to heal first.

Comment

I love your tummy! I'm sure it will knit back up pretty well in time.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

The belly band things do work, give it a go for a while and see how it works for you. It worked for my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          Aww. AG your lucky

Comment

I never did anything for it, and eventually it went back.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              I never did anything for it, and eventually it went back.
              Same here.

Comment

aww...how sweet of u

Comment

A belly band helps from feeling like your insides are hanging out. I wore one from 3 days postpartum for a few months. I don't think it has any permanent effect though.

Comment

That's because you're awesome like that!

Thanks everyone for the input! It's nice to know it will go back to normal eventually--horray! I'd wondered about the support belts. It's hard to know if the belly shrinking is causation or correlation. I'll try using one for support, and not expecting it to do any permanent impact.

Thanks again!

Comment

I hear t-tapp is amazing for post partum belly - targets the transverse abs in just the right way, I guess.

Other than that, patience - it took 9 months to get all your organs out of place. Don't believe anyone who says you should be "back to normal" in 3 months - if you are, it's probably due to good genes. I'm not even sure how long I had that "intestines out of place" feeling, but it was more than 2 months ;-)

Massage the belly with lotion/oil (coconut, mango butter, cocoa butter, bio-oil, etc) - just gently rub in a circular motion with light pressure (have knifegill do this if you want - good way to connect) - it's good for circulation, skin recovery (bio oil is great for stretch marks, BTW), and helping your innards ease back into the right places.

The belly bands work too, but I found them to be so awkward/uncomfortable (I have a long torso and most bands aren't tall enough, that didn't help), and therefore didn't wear them as long as you're supposed to.

Other than that, enjoy your wee one :-D

Comment

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with the intestines-out thing! I hadn't read anything about it, and was wondering if my subconscious was making it up, or my body was really messed up or something. I have no problem with it taking a while to fix itself; it's just nice to know it's normal! I've already been putting coconut oil on my belly whenever I get some for my lips or hair and have extra, so I'll just make a point to always have extra .

I'll have to look into T-tapp. Exercises are nice to do for those few minutes when Kevin is wiggling happily on the floor or bassinet, especially since I can do them where he can see me.

Comment

Best of luck and congratz on the little guy
                          Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

Got to agree with the time comments. My wife has delivered 3 healthy babies, but the post partem belly usually takes 6 - 12 months to *mostly* go away, and sometimes even longer than that to completely disappear.

--Me

Comment

I would recommend several things, and you can choose.

First, there's a nice book that really goes over how to isolate into the space that you need to heal up any issues. And, there's this other 12-wk program that a lot of people like. I have the first book, and it was great (basic, but works well).

Next, I'd be happy to talk to you about some everyday postural things that can really help during this time, and my two favorite exercises that really helped me when I was recovering. We can do this via skype at your leisure. It'll only take about 20 minutes, tops. Sakura_girl did a little private yoga lesson with me a few days ago, so I don't bite.

Comment

Working...
                              X