What does it mean to "screw your feet to the ground?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean to "screw your feet to the ground?"

Huh? I'm confused by the muscle head terminology.

"Screw your feet/hands into the floor"

"Break the bar?"

"Tighten your abs" but "breath into your belly" How?

A: Means shove your knees out. Like there's a rubber band around them and you want to stretch it out.
    B: No idea. I think this is a bench press cue that helps some people.
    C: Because your abs aren't your lungs. You want to make your entire thorax a solid column of fluid.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      A: Means shove your knees out. Like there's a rubber band around them and you want to stretch it out.
      B: No idea. I think this is a bench press cue that helps some people.
      C: Because your abs aren't your lungs. You want to make your entire thorax a solid column of fluid.
      yup.

the "break the bar" thing for bench pressing is actually helpful for a lot of people. if you tell people to visualize trying to bend the bar in half, it helps them activate the lats a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
        yup.

the "break the bar" thing for bench pressing is actually helpful for a lot of people. if you tell people to visualize trying to bend the bar in half, it helps them activate the lats a lot more.
        Oh, I think I get it now! Like you're trying to bend the bar in half like an old timey strongman or something. I think I do an acceptable job of activating the lats when I bench press (I think of "squeezing my shoulder blades together"), but I'll see if this cue helps me feel tighter next time National Bench Press day (aka Monday)comes around.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Oh, I think I get it now! Like you're trying to bend the bar in half like an old timey strongman or something. I think I do an acceptable job of activating the lats when I bench press (I think of "squeezing my shoulder blades together"), but I'll see if this cue helps me feel tighter next time National Bench Press day (aka Monday)comes around.
          exactly

oh you bench on Mondays, huh? I bet you grunt and drink from gallon jugs too. lunk...

Comment

The "Screw you hands into the floor" helps with push-ups, as does using your fingers to "grip the floor".

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              exactly

oh you bench on Mondays, huh? I bet you grunt and drink from gallon jugs too. lunk...
              I'm pretty sure an alarm sounds any time I even drive by a Planet Fitness. If there was a "Lunk" t-shirt, I'd buy 3 and lift in them exclusively.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If there was a "Lunk" t-shirt, I'd buy 3 and lift in them exclusively.
                you have to cut the sleeves off and wear one on your head like a do-rag though

Comment

I would need bigger biceps and smaller legs to pull off that look!
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Oh you two.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would need bigger biceps and smaller legs to pull off that look!
                      or a smaller head

Comment

I seriously love you guys. Or maybe I'm just tired (woooo night shift!). Rich, I think that is a good look for you. It's a quirky update to the perfectly waxed mustache you maintain in my head cannon.

Okay, I get the bar thing, and kind of the knee thing, but isn't turning out your elbows for a pushup/press bad?

And I'm still kind of lost on the abs thing. Do you have to release them when you breathe? That doesn't seem very effective...

Comment

"Bending the bar" on the way down and "pulling the bar apart" on the way up are really good cues to help activate everything correctly on bench. I use them with new people and chant them to myself some.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Rich,

I Broke The Lunk Alarm T-Shirt by ponigear

x-mass is right around the corner! Also, I stepped up and smashed 325 on the squat.. barely. Honestly as close to a true max out I've had my entire life. If there was a thimble of water on that bar I would have failed. I'll get around to uploading a video soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                              I seriously love you guys. Or maybe I'm just tired (woooo night shift!). Rich, I think that is a good look for you. It's a quirky update to the perfectly waxed mustache you maintain in my head cannon.

Okay, I get the bar thing, and kind of the knee thing, but isn't turning out your elbows for a pushup/press bad?

And I'm still kind of lost on the abs thing. Do you have to release them when you breathe? That doesn't seem very effective...
                              Have you been reading "Becoming a Supple Leopard?"
                              I think the key concept is external rotation. "Screw your feet into the ground" is meant to make you turn on the muscles that externally rotate your legs. But you keep your feet more or less pointed straight ahead so that the external rotation force creates stability in the joints. Kelly Starett's shillelagh example and crossed finger example on pages 50-52 illustrate this point pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                              X