What does it mean to "screw your feet to the ground?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quikky View Post
    The question you have to ask yourself is: what is bearing the twisting forces at the ankle and the knee? It's not the muscles...
    I agree that the external rotation force is going to the ligaments/tendons, no question about that. KStar says that's the point: to take out the slack. So is it better to have your joints in a looser/more "natural" alignment when squatting? Or is it better to have a "tensed up" joint?

And a side question: does the external torque increase with the squat load, or is it simply a function of how forcefully you externally rotate from the hip, independent of squat load?

Comment

Originally posted by vincebae View Post
      Squat foot position issue seems just one of many never-ending controversies on squat such as ATG, butt wink, toe passing knee, low bar vs high bar.
      I don't think that I am the one who can end this debate.
      Yeah, some people are making rocket science out of everything, and I am only waiting for some of those squat nerds to write "An introduction to the barbell squat" in 15 solid hard back volumes...
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
        Yeah, some people are making rocket science out of everything, and I am only waiting for some of those squat nerds to write "An introduction to the barbell squat" in 15 solid hard back volumes...
        Isn't every topic like that? Some people like to know things in depth and enjoy learning beyond the surface.

Like in my gun thread, some people don't care for 1911s, some are professional gunsmiths and could discuss for hours what the best finish for the slide is.

Comment

I find it weird that there is so much advice on squats yet nothing on other exercises such as curls, lateral raises, rows etc which nearly everyone does wrong as they don't understand body mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
            I find it weird that there is so much advice on squats yet nothing on other exercises such as curls, lateral raises, rows etc which nearly everyone does wrong as they don't understand body mechanics.
            I think it's because squats are the most incorrectly done exercise with the most amount of weight.

Comment

I "screw my hands into the ground" with pushups. It's a cue to keep tension in the shoulder and it adds a lot of strength, especially on 1-arm pushups. It doesn't change the position of anything, just adds a little stability and overall tension. Squats feel the same way- nothing is moved out of alignment, but there is extra tension there for stability.

Another cue I heard was "split the floor apart with your feet". The end result is strong tension through the hips, without any actual movement of your position.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                Like in my gun thread, some people don't care for 1911s
                Now THAT'S just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                  Now THAT'S just silly.
                  I know but you have to tolerate them - forum rules and all

Comment

Working...
                  X