Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhatWhenHowHIIT?

Hello
    I think I need some inspiration/ideas/tipps for my HIIT - if what I do can be called HIIT.

1.What do you for HIIT? I do not like running (neither do my joints), I'm not in a gym. I do have an indoor rower.
    At the moment I do BW- circuits with sprinting in place, jumping jacks etc, biking (worse in winter because of the conditions outside), but an alternative would be great.

Any experiences with swimming for interval training?

2.I'm 32 (would say pretty well trained) - what should my heart rate be like during the "sprinting" and the resting time? Now it's about 145-165 and 120-30 when recovering. I do 30sec speed and 1min30sec of rest for around 8 intervalls.

3.When dod you do the HIIT - on strength/lifting days or seperate days? Before or after doing weights?

4.How often do you do HIIT/week?

Thank you in advance for your replies (hope there are any)

When Should You Do Conditioning? | thefitcoach
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Great! Thank you...
      But questions remain - how long does the HIIT take if I do it on Off days? How often in one week? 2x weights/strength/BW 8full body workout) and 2x HIIT?4x BW (2xpull&2xpush) and 1 HIIT session. Which version is better for reducing body fat? I'm not looking for building muscles in the first place...
      sorry for keeping on asking, just want to get things straight concerning BF and recovery...

Comment

Tabata intervals are great.

Tabata box jumps, burbees, kettlebells swings are all favorites of mine for quick HIIT and they only take 4 minutes to do!
        Salube Up! - SalubriousU

Comment

Originally posted by gergirl View Post
          In my younger day as a competitive swimmer, HIIT was an integral part of our training. Until you become conditioned to sprint swimming, you will tire very fast, your form will fall apart, and you will slow down.

Now that I am older than dirt I occasionally do a few swimming intervals, but I'm no longer in good enough swimming condition to get in a great HIIT session that way. I do my sprints running now.

If you have easy/fast access to a pool to be able to slowly build up your sprint capacity, go for it.
          Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by SalubriousU View Post
            Tabata ... kettlebells swings are all favorites of mine for quick HIIT and they only take 4 minutes to do!
            Can you get your heart rate up enough with KB swings for a good Tabata? I do 2x 25 reps of KB swings before I start my weight circuit, but 25 reps is longer (for me) than a 20 sec interval.
            Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
              Can you get your heart rate up enough with KB swings for a good Tabata? I do 2x 25 reps of KB swings before I start my weight circuit, but 25 reps is longer (for me) than a 20 sec interval.
              You certainly can, as long as you go heavy enough. I'm using a 32kg now and I'm considering buying a "bulldog" (40 kg) My heart rate easily goes above 170, and I'm pretty well conditioned these days

Comment

What around Tabata? Warm up? Cool down? Qne exercise or different ones?

Comment

If you do the basic kind of sprints: 20-30 seconds sprint with 1:30 to 2 minutes rest, 8 rounds, it takes about 15 minutes. That truly is enough. It'll gas you at first. It might take a while before you can do it (or the tabata intervals) 2x a week. But eventually you'll get stronger for them and feel really good.

I did tabatas for a while. Takes less than 5 minutes. First time I did it I wasn't sure if I could get off the exercise bike. In fact, it took me a while before I could get off and then it took a while just standing there before I could walk and I would feel gassed for a couple days. Tabatas are horrible. It was suggested to me, not being as fit and strong and being older than a spring chicken, that I could get more of the training effect with a longer rest interval so that I could go full out and move fast on all 8 rounds. With the short rest of tabatas I wouldn't be moving very fast on the last few rounds.

Your best bet for any of these is to do something where you move your larger muscles as fast as you can. Rowing is great because it works the whole body. Stuff with your legs moving really fast is great because those are big muscles. It works just fine to do one boring thing if you want. It need not be made complicated.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

What around Tabata? Warm up? Cool down? Qne exercise or different ones?
                    Makes no real difference what exercises you do as the aim is to rapidly raise the heartrate.Obviusly the exercises that use the largest muscles will be the most effective...swinging your arms in circles ain't gonna raise the heartrate as quickly as squat jumps etc.

Burpee's are one of the best in my opinion.

No big warm up needed. I would recommend a warm down, steady walking etc.

Comment

Hello
                      I think I need some inspiration/ideas/tipps for my HIIT - if what I do can be called HIIT.

1.What do you for HIIT? I do not like running (neither do my joints), I'm not in a gym. I do have an indoor rower.
                      At the moment I do BW- circuits with sprinting in place, jumping jacks etc, biking (worse in winter because of the conditions outside), but an alternative would be great.

Hit the heavy bag for "rounds" of intervals, skip rope, and to the swimming....yeah its excellent for sprints. Kinda like skipping rope though...you have to be skilled enough at the activity to make it work for sprints. HIT resistance training is good as well. I don't tend to take as long a rest as those I see round here though....I do 20-30 second sprints with only about 30 seconds rest and never more than a minute.

2.I'm 32 (would say pretty well trained) - what should my heart rate be like during the "sprinting" and the resting time? Now it's about 145-165 and 120-30 when recovering. I do 30sec speed and 1min30sec of rest for around 8 intervalls.
                      90%+ of my max HR tells me I'm pushing pretty good. So at your age about 170+....but I only expect to hit that by the last couple of intervals.

3.When dod you do the HIIT - on strength/lifting days or seperate days? Before or after doing weights?
                      Both...if on a weight day I go straight from my weights to my HIIT work, but I'll just do 4-6 intervals instead of the 8-10 I might do on an off day. Plus I lift HIT style with little to no rest between sets anyhow.

4.How often do you do HIIT/week?
                      2-3 times some weeks.... others only once.... just depends on if I'm feeling it or not.
                      Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Great posts! Thank you!

Comment

Good article. Thanks for sharing. I've been wondering when to incorporate sprints (your posting about them recently has reminded me that I still should probably do them!). I currently lift 2x/week, both sessions focusing on lower body (squat and DL) so I'm not sure there is an optimal day for me to do them other than "any off (non-lifting) day".

I've also been doing some LISS lately after hearing Robb Wolf talk about his positive experience with it (better carb tolerance, leaner) and the purported benefits (increased capillary density, increased mitochondrial function):
                          Robb Wolf - The Paleo Solution - Episode 190 - Nate Miyaki
                          Roadwork 2.0: The Comeback 8 Weeks Out

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            Good article. Thanks for sharing. I've been wondering when to incorporate sprints (your posting about them recently has reminded me that I still should probably do them!). I currently lift 2x/week, both sessions focusing on lower body (squat and DL) so I'm not sure there is an optimal day for me to do them other than "any off (non-lifting) day".

I've also been doing some LISS lately after hearing Robb Wolf talk about his positive experience with it (better carb tolerance, leaner) and the purported benefits (increased capillary density, increased mitochondrial function):
                            Robb Wolf - The Paleo Solution - Episode 190 - Nate Miyaki
                            Roadwork 2.0: The Comeback 8 Weeks Out
                            What is LISS? Had a look at those tow links but not sure I'm getting it. You mean some low intensity stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              What is LISS? Had a look at those tow links but not sure I'm getting it. You mean some low intensity stuff?
                              Indeed. Low-intensity steady state. What I've been doing is treadmill and stationery cycling, keeping my heart rate around 140bpm. If I had a heart-rate monitor, I would do more fun activities like actually running outside (not that I am a jogger by any stretch of the imagination), rowing, jumping rope, KB swings, anything. I hate the treadmill, but that and the bike are the only two pieces of equipment equipped with HRMs that I have access to. Maybe I can get a chest-strap HRM for Christmas :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X