What's a good OHP???? and a question about bench press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Are these presses done with straight legs or are they more of a jerk style ?
    Mine? I do them with absolutely no knee bend. I do let the hips come forward, and use a bit of layback. Sort of like the old olympic clean and press mechanics, except I don't clean the bar first.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
      And how can you mention that every Monday is National Bench Press Day but not mention that every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday is National Curl In-Front-Of-The-Mirror Day?
      The proper way to do it is with a smith machine, preferably with sunglasses on and a grimacing face like the guys in the magazines. Take no-explode pre workout for increased vascularity if you really want to show everyone in the gym who's boss.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Mine? I do them with absolutely no knee bend. I do let the hips come forward, and use a bit of layback. Sort of like the old olympic clean and press mechanics, except I don't clean the bar first.
        That's pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
          That's pretty impressive.
          Well, thanks. I'm estimating about a 175 lb 1RM based on my 5 reps at 155 yesterday. I currently weigh around 160.

But bodyweight multipliers definitely favor us little guys. That's why the Wilks scores use higher multipliers for the heavier lifters.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Well, thanks. I'm estimating about a 175 lb 1RM based on my 5 reps at 155 yesterday. I currently weigh around 160.

But bodyweight multipliers definitely favor us little guys. That's why the Wilks scores use higher multipliers for the heavier lifters.
            Good press, brah. My best 5RM so far has been 165lb, and I am considerably heavier.

Comment

Well, using bodyweight multipliers favors the little guys. As an example, I 5-repped about 96% of my bodyweight on the press yesterday, and I'm not very strong. I figure I can press about 110% of my meager bodyweight for a single. That's still a long ways off from 2 plates though, which is my goal for 2014.
              That's true. My best press is only about 73% of my current bodyweight. BW multipliers just seem more intuitive to me than using something like the Wilks equation. I'd like to reach 225 as well, but it's gonna take a lot of time and hard work to get there.
              In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
                it's gonna take a lot of time...
                For you and me both. I think the key is focusing on the next short-term goal. Take it 1 step at a time. If you find you've taken a step or two backwards, then back up and look at things with a little more perspective (realize how far you've come), but as long as you can put 1 or 2 or 5 pounds more on the bar next time, forget about the next pair of wheels or the next .5 bodyweights or whatever.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

For you and me both. I think the key is focusing on the next short-term goal. Take it 1 step at a time. If you find you've taken a step or two backwards, then back up and look at things with a little more perspective (realize how far you've come), but as long as you can put 1 or 2 or 5 pounds more on the bar next time, forget about the next pair of wheels or the next .5 bodyweights or whatever.
                  I agree with you on pretty much all of that. I remember 110x5x3 being a big deal to me at the time. Now, it'd be no problem. In a year, our current maxes probably won't be too difficult.
                  In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    I wish I could make awesome statements like that.
                    I can if I use grams.

I failed my presses today. I got so close to 62.5lbs x 5 (I managed 4 last time) but today I could do only one rep. I hope that makes all you boys feel better.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      I can if I use grams.

I failed my presses today. I got so close to 62.5lbs x 5 (I managed 4 last time) but today I could do only one rep. I hope that makes all you boys feel better.
                      If you pushed to your limit then you can do no more. Your shoulders can't see what is on the bar, they just attempt to contract against it and either they manage it or they don't.

I pushed my body so hard today doing 2 sets of bent over rows that when I went to follow it up with some pull ups I managed two reps and was in pain.......bodyweight only.....I usually do them with around 50-60lbs hanging on my waist. I'd obviously fatigued my back to it's limit on the rows, any attempts at further stimulus would be just wasted effort.

Comment

sweet replies.

At my bodyweight i should be hitting an 80kg press wow!!!
                        I plan on starting the press monday and see how i go, however, im gonna leave out the bench for a while so as not to create problems.
                        Im thinking for chest ill stick to pushups dips and maybe some neutral grip db presses.
                        Ill let you all know how it goes!!

Comment

Working...
                        X