Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Lululemon

Daily Kos: The Co-Founder of Lululemon is a Downward Facing Dog

Making fitness wear that won't accommodate larger thighs seems really fucking dumb. Isn't the point of yoga pants to show off well developed butts and glutes?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

I don't see a problem here. He's running a business and has determined that sizes 0-12 will give him the most profit. Higher sizes would require redesigning the pants to fit a different shape, changes in production, more material, etc. He simply stated his line doesn't work for women larger than that. He's not being mean, its just how it is. Anyone is free to sell plus-sized yoga pants. If you see profit there, go for it, or just buy from one of the many other companies selling them.
    Starting DL: 135 Now: 380
    Starting Bench: 115 Now: 255
    Goal: Get stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavewizard View Post
      I don't see a problem here. He's running a business and has determined that sizes 0-12 will give him the most profit. Higher sizes would require redesigning the pants to fit a different shape, changes in production, more material, etc. He simply stated his line doesn't work for women larger than that. He's not being mean, its just how it is. Anyone is free to sell plus-sized yoga pants. If you see profit there, go for it, or just buy from one of the many other companies selling them.
      Oh, yeah, I agree, they can sell what they want to who they want, and I think not having plus sizes may have helped them be more exclusive for a while. The problem now is that the pants are made of a material so crappy that they don't even work for the 0-12 set. His excuse that they have larger thighs is laughable. Very few women want see thru pants and saying "hey, lady into fitness, your pants would be just fine if your ass was not so big" is not a great marketing ploy.

There are stretch fabrics that can hold up to heavy use.

Not sure if they are publically traded, but I'd dump my stock now.

Comment

Yep, I think it sounds Mr. Wilson is just using a snarky excuse for his low quality goods. If you're paying $100 bucks for pants that fit on your body, they should not become transparent no matter which way you bend or stretch. Especially since they are supposedly designed to be worn while working out (which usually involves bending and stretching... especially when that workout is yoga) :-P

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
          Yep, I think it sounds Mr. Wilson is just using a snarky excuse for his low quality goods. If you're paying $100 bucks for pants that fit on your body, they should not become transparent no matter which way you bend or stretch. Especially since they are supposedly designed to be worn while working out (which usually involves bending and stretching... especially when that workout is yoga) :-P
          Exactly, he's just pissed because someone called him on selling poor quality goods at a price point where others are selling real work out clothes.
          50yo, 5'3"
          SW-195
          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

As for the pilling elsewhere, not between the thighs...he says those women are wearing their seat belts and purses wrong. See? Still not his fault.
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Lots of executives and owners hurt their businesses by publicly voicing repugnant positions that their business is built around. Those people live in a bubble of their own making. I think there should be a special Darwin award for businesses like this.

Comment

I'm a size 6 and can't wear yoga pants.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I am a size 4 and I don't wear yoga pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  ------
                  HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                    I am a size 4 and I don't wear yoga pants.
                    This saddens me.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

The new Customer Satisfaction Warranty:

"Thank you for your purchase of LuluLemon pants. These pants were designed for a zero-gravity, non-chafing environment.

Warranty shall be voided by the following: bending, stretching, contact between purses or other external forces acting on said pants, interior skin pushing on, or creating tension in, the fibers of Lulu Lemon pants, running, jogging, walking, climbing, any other activity not listed here but found to have an effect on said pants, including but not limited to, chanting, vibrating chakras, inversions, and releasing kundalini energy. Namaste, and thanks for shopping!"

Comment

I used to shop there a long time ago when they made them in Canada. From time to time I still go into the store to see if there is anything that might interest me. I still can't believe how expensive the clothes are in there. I own 5 pants from there, a few shorts and some sports bras and it disappoints me how much money I spent in that store. Over the years my body has changed,my thighs are more muscular now and I can no longer fit properly in their pants so I stopped shopping there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavewizard View Post
                          He is absolutely free to run his business how he see's fit and to say what he wants about his product. But consumers are also free to find his fat-bashing excuse making offensive and to boycott his product.

I love seeing women stand up and say screw you to people like this. If it works for his business, so be it. But I won't mind one bit seeing them go under if it comes to that.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Lulu on is similar to Tommy Hilfiger In that they are not ashamed to say that they cater to the beautiful people only. So fat people have two choices, get fit or buy from somewhere else.

I understand it from the brands point of view, although fat people make more visible billboards, they are not as appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkChopper View Post
                              Lulu on is similar to Tommy Hilfiger In that they are not ashamed to say that they cater to the beautiful people only. So fat people have two choices, get fit or buy from somewhere else.

I understand it from the brands point of view, although fat people make more visible billboards, they are not as appealing.

I think Tommy Hilfiger still makes plus sizes. I know they used to go up to at least 16/18 as I had a few skirts. Given that the average woman in the US is a size 12, well, cutting 50% of your market is not a good plan. That said, a lot of fashion doesn't look good on all sizes. And cheap fabrics look worse on larger sizes. a lot of places have plus sizes online, but not in store.

But fitness wear, especially premium should be durable to withstand some use by women with thicker legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X