Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have an urge to want to be able to do a split. can you do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an urge to want to be able to do a split. can you do it?

Is there a benefit to this from a fitness standpoint?

How does one go about doing this?

Definitely gets the guys attention when a woman drops straight into one on the nightclub dance floor !

As to any fitness benefit, can't really think of any, I put the ability to do the splits into the same category as stuff like being able to touch your nose with your tongue or put your whole fist into your mouth.

Comment

Be honest now, how many people read my last post and tried touching their tongue to their nose ?

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
        Be honest now, how many people read my last post and tried touching their tongue to their nose ?
        I didn't bother since I already know I can......

Comment

lo..okay no seriously..

Comment

They're pretty easy to do. I could never do them as a kid but as an adult achieved them after two-three months of trying each day. (Forward splits, not straddle).

No major benefit other than stretching your groin muscle and hammies. Oh, and getting men aroused
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
              lo..okay no seriously..
              I can almost complete a full front split....but I've never had the hip mobility for the side split. At one point I thought it would be cool to do them as well, but I was a kid when I began training to get there (damn you jean claude van damme!!!). I do believe that there is a window of training that you can do as child to adolescent to achieve splits and then you might be able to maintain it with some training into adulthood and later life. But, I have a feeling that most people who have reached skeletal maturity unable to complete one will likely never be able to..... really I mean the side ones.... I think the front ones are easier to progress on.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                I can almost complete a full front split....but I've never had the hip mobility for the side split. At one point I thought it would be cool to do them as well, but I was a kid when I began training to get there (damn you jean claude van damme!!!). I do believe that there is a window of training that you can do as child to adolescent to achieve splits and then you might be able to maintain it with some training into adulthood and later life. But, I have a feeling that most people who have reached skeletal maturity unable to complete one will likely never be able to..... really I mean the side ones.... I think the front ones are easier to progress on.
                Yeah i thought too that there is a window in your teens years when one is able to be more flexible....

Comment

I can do a split but I have always been able to since PE classes in china through dance classes here middle school-high school.

No real advantages I can see at the gym. Real advantages in other places but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  ------
                  HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

you just work on it frequently, your muscles will gradually stretch and then you'll turn into a superwoman
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

The benefit, besides the ones already stated, is that you will be less likely to horrifically injure muscles and joints if you have trauma or accidents that force your body into unnatural or hyper flexed positions. They're worth doing, if you want, but it will take a long time of consistent dedication to get them as an adult. There are probably good tutorials online. You need to make sure you're using correct form or you can jack up your body.

Sent via Starscream

Comment

I could never do them as a child and was notoriously inflexible. At the age of 29 I developed the urge to achieve it. It was during a period when I was exercising several times a week - dance class, netball etc. So what I did, at the end of every session while I was well and truly warmed up, I just practiced going as low as I could, hold for as long as possible and then try to relax a little more into the stretch. I can't remember how long it took, but I did get there, to my own amazement!!! I think the key was learning to relax into the stretch rather than "work harder" to stretch more. I never understood this concept before childbirth classes, lol. So good luck, I think it is achievable.
                        Annie Ups the Ante
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Not since I was 14 yo. I was inflexible as a child, so my mom made me stretch and work on my splits after they kicked me out of synchronized swimming because of it (I was 8 or 9 or whatever). Basically, it was a regular practice daily until I could do all 3 splits. I retained the ability till mid teens (maybe 14 yo?). Now, I am 38 and even though I was stretching regularly for years my flexibility is very much below average (can't touch the floor).

Partner stretching is the most effective way to increase flexibility that I came across (it's amazing how much further your body goes when a hefty person sits on your back).
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                            I think the key was learning to relax into the stretch rather than "work harder" to stretch more.
                            Exactly. And make sure you've warmed up sufficiently. NEVER try do to this 'cold' - get your circulation going first, gradually increase how far down you go and DO NOT force it. Your muscles have a self-protective, guarding mechanism and if you try to push beyond it, you'll do more harm than good. And be consistent - work at it regularly.

Comment

We worked on this sometimes in yoga, and I've never been able to do one. I started out very high off the floor, then used a block to sit on and relax into, and eventually I was only a few inches off the floor. Being warm helps, being stretched helps, and consistency definitely helps. Hip openers are great for releasing tension, too, so there is a plus to being able to twist your body into this rather unnatural position. I'm inconsistent in my yoga practice lately, so I can't do a full splits, but it was really exciting to be able to get close and knowing I wasn't going to hurt myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X