Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training isn't going well

Hey,

I've been training home for some time now, doing some push-ups pull ups squats and so, every other day.

Point is, I seem to progress a bit, then suddenly I go back to where I previously was. It's like I take a step forward and then 1-2 steps backwards, and It's pissing me off. I sleep quite well, My diet isn't peachy, but it doesn't suck, And I'm pretty damn sure I ain't overtraining.

What am I doing wrong? is it the volume of the workout? the intensity? the frequency?

P.S- the latest 1-2 steps backwards happened when I fixed my pushup technique, which makes sense, but I got weaker over time, which is damn weird.

Eat more, rest more.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
      Hey,

I've been training home for some time now, doing some push-ups pull ups squats and so, every other day.

Point is, I seem to progress a bit, then suddenly I go back to where I previously was. It's like I take a step forward and then 1-2 steps backwards, and It's pissing me off. I sleep quite well, My diet isn't peachy, but it doesn't suck, And I'm pretty damn sure I ain't overtraining.

What am I doing wrong? is it the volume of the workout? the intensity? the frequency?

P.S- the latest 1-2 steps backwards happened when I fixed my pushup technique, which makes sense, but I got weaker over time, which is damn weird.
      What is the volume? What is the intensity?

Hard to comment on what it might be if you don't provide the details.
      I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
      SW (Feb 2012): 278
      SBF: 26% (Scale)
      CW (Sept 2015): 200
      CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

Hey,

Yeah, the pancake is right. If you don't tell us what the workout scheme is, how can we guess what's wrong with it?
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Maybe that's the problem... If your training strategy really is "do some pushups, pullups, squats and so every other day", I'm going to just say that's the problem and call it a day.

My Journal

Comment

workout scheme and schedule as well as more info on yourself. age. sex. goals. etc

Comment

Originally posted by accidentalpancake View Post
              Maybe that's the problem... If your training strategy really is "do some pushups, pullups, squats and so every other day", I'm going to just say that's the problem and call it a day.
              I'm going to go with this as well. If the OP had a clear program, he wouldn't say "doing some X".

Comment

True, it's not such a very clear program, but that's mainly because I do my workouts home, and in a very very tight schedule.

My workout pretty much consists of 2 sets of pushups (max reps at each set), 2 sets of pull ups - one regular and one with an underhand grip, also for max reps, and 2 sets of squats for max reps.

My pull up reps are pretty much consistent, yet my pushups seem to decline every once in a while (got to about 60, then went down to about 30..)

Comment

What are your goals?

Comment

True, it's not such a very clear program, but that's mainly because I do my workouts home, and in a very very tight schedule.

My workout pretty much consists of 2 sets of pushups (max reps at each set), 2 sets of pull ups - one regular and one with an underhand grip, also for max reps, and 2 sets of squats for max reps.

My pull up reps are pretty much consistent, yet my pushups seem to decline every once in a while (got to about 60, then went down to about 30..)
                    Bodyweight squats? This sounds like exercise, rather than training. Where's the progressive nature? Just hoping that you'll be able to do more reps next time?
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Bodyweight squats? This sounds like exercise, rather than training. Where's the progressive nature? Just hoping that you'll be able to do more reps next time?
                      My thoughts exactly !

Comment

I would say to look at You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning if that's the kind of workout you're looking for. Provides structure for progression and doesn't take long.

Still need to know more about your personal stats, goals, etc. to be really helpful.

My Journal

Comment

I don't really see any point in doing an exercise that permits more than 10 reps or so but that's just my opinion.

Regarding the push ups dropping it may be that you just became better at isolating the muscle groups and creating more tension.
                          I can bang out maybe 50-60 push ups but if I do them on hex bells and apply constant inward tension to stress my pecs I only get maybe 7-10 reps !

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                            Regarding the push ups dropping it may be that you just became better at isolating the muscle groups and creating more tension.
                            I can bang out maybe 50-60 push ups but if I do them on hex bells and apply constant inward tension to stress my pecs I only get maybe 7-10 reps !
                            Totally agree. If I just try to bang out some pushups and don't concentrate on maintaining high tension and keeping my elbow in the right track, I can probably do 40 or more. If I use controlled form and really focus on keeping everything tight, 15 is a struggle.

Sounds like you are using the template from the Primal Blueprint exercise e-book, right Drlove? Maybe you should try progressing to the next difficulty level for pushups. Or really dial in your form so you are sure that you are not varying it from one workout to the next. Or do something completely different as suggested by others, it all depends on your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by accidentalpancake View Post
                              I would say to look at You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning if that's the kind of workout you're looking for. Provides structure for progression and doesn't take long.
                              Just wanted to recommend that

Comment

Working...
                              X