Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
    *snip*
    The best part is at the end you get a tootsie roll and a pen.
    Really?
    The other big motivational reason to go there is yoga pants.
    Yes.

Comment

[QUOTE=jfreaksho;1348589]Really?

Yeah you don't get much free stuff in life.

And don't forget pizza day and bagel morning.
      I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Blacksmith;1348593]
        Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
        Really?

Yeah you don't get much free stuff in life.

And don't forget pizza day and bagel morning.
        I'm not sure I want to see the yoga pants at a gym that gives out tootsie rolls, pizza and bagels.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

[QUOTE=sbhikes;1348657]

I'm not sure I want to see the yoga pants at a gym that gives out tootsie rolls, pizza and bagels.
          Lol. Yeah some look better than others.
          I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

Planet Fitness is the worst gym you could possibly join. I'd advise you to find one where getting strong is not only allowed, but encouraged. Here are some questions to ask:

How many squat racks do you have? (If they say "Smith Machine," at any point during their answer, find another gym)
            Do you provide chalk? Do you at least allow chalk?
            Where in the gym can I deadlift?
            Is there ever a shortage of 45-pound plates?
            Are your bars straight? Do the collars spin freely?

If you don't get satisfactory answers, or they act like these are alien questions in any way, run, don't walk, to a better gym.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Start with basic stuff! Do not worry about being a rock star at the gym. Most gym equipment has picture instructions on the equipment and all gyms have someone in there who works for the gym who is really wants to show you how that equipment works so that you don't get hurt and file suit. HOWEVER, I would not recommend working out on gym equipment. Doing free weights, squat rack, smith machine, leg press, bench press, pull ups, push ups, rows, dips, kettle bells, ect for weights is so much more rewarding. For cardio walk, play jump rope, hit a punching bag. For core do more foundation work, planks, leg lifts, play with buso or stability ball. Get a good book with workouts that YOU think are interesting and bring your book to the gym, and follow along. Or print out free workouts from bodybuilding .com and bring them. Once you know what you wanna do and your more comfortable with the gym equipment then you can compose a work out from memory! good luck and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Planet Fitness is the worst gym you could possibly join. I'd advise you to find one where getting strong is not only allowed, but encouraged. Here are some questions to ask:

How many squat racks do you have? (If they say "Smith Machine," at any point during their answer, find another gym)

If you don't get satisfactory answers, or they act like these are alien questions in any way, run, don't walk, to a better gym.
                I agree with you 100%. In fact, nowadays I'd never join a planet fitness just based on their ad campaign alone. But, if pf is the only option (geographically/financially/etc) you have to do pf. Years ago, after I quit my $70 a month gym, I lifted at pf for a year. They had plenty of benches and a handful of squat racks. I deadlifted there too. No chalk allowed, but I almost never use it anyway. And for $10 a month, it beat doing pushups and bw squats

Comment

Good advice haha....

Comment

ok, I admit I've never been inside one but I understand that the official policy is you can only DEADLIFT IN THE SMITH MACHINE ????

Makes me feel better about going to buy two new 35's for my home gym.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
                      ok, I admit I've never been inside one but I understand that the official policy is you can only DEADLIFT IN THE SMITH MACHINE ????

Makes me feel better about going to buy two new 35's for my home gym.
                      Plate thunder is cause for being thrown out. No grunting. No chalk. No acting like you're working hard in any way. If you even think about doing a power clean, they will sound the Lunk alarm. They serve bagels and pizza. This is not a place to get strong. It could work in a pinch, but if you have any other options, you want to cross Planet Fatness off your list.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Plate thunder is cause for being thrown out. No grunting. No chalk. No acting like you're working hard in any way. If you even think about doing a power clean, they will sound the Lunk alarm. They serve bagels and pizza. This is not a place to get strong. It could work in a pinch, but if you have any other options, you want to cross Planet Fatness off your list.
                        I used to dead a the one I went to. let's see... that was in 2005. i'm sure policies have changed. like i said earlier, I most definitely wouldn't join a gym that caters to people who aren't serious about getting in shape. there were actually a bunch of pretty serious lifters and bodybuilder types that lifted there. probably because it was $10 a month and every other gym in the metro-boston area was $60-100 a month.

Comment

Plate thunder is cause for being thrown out. No grunting. No chalk. No acting like you're working hard in any way. If you even think about doing a power clean, they will sound the Lunk alarm.
                          This is just so bizarre. We did power cleans last week. What about a damn power clean is "LUNK" like. Why can't you grunt? I get not dropping weights, and chalk can be a mess, but jeez, who the hell cares about someone doing "heavy". I feel like getting a trial membership, setting up a heavy dead lift and grunting. And then I'll do some power cleans. See if they have the balls to yell at a nice blonde girl for being a lunk.

The thing that really sucks is that PF has put pretty much all the general gyms out of business in my area, except the YMCA which is similar in the no love for heavy lifting. What's the point if you can only go and do cardio?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            nice blonde girl
                            wait, you're nice?

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                              wait, you're nice?
                              I think she meant she'd pretend to be a nice girl to see if they boot her from Planet Fatness. We all know magnolia's not nice. That's why we like her.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I think she meant she'd pretend to be a nice girl to see if they boot her from Planet Fatness. We all know magnolia's not nice. That's why we like her.
                                exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X