Rhabdomyolysis: How I almost died from being pushed to do too many pull-ups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, at least you made 1 good choice...
    Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chellegood View Post
      Just because that's what you "think" doesn't make it so. The facts are the facts. It would be irresponsible of you to go about telling people there is no way they could get it from strength training. The fact is that it happened to me. And there are countless others. Just look at what the crossfit community has dealt with. If people have the knowledge, the FACTS about rhabdo, trainers and their clients can make responsible, informed decisions in their workouts.
      3 sets of 20 jumping pullups is not actually strength training.
      It's just stupid exercise for the sake of suffering

Just like 100 squats at 50% 1rm

I think all xfitters do 'strength training' and 'metcon' and would agree that rhabdo risk doesn't come from the strength training.
      Sorry for assuming everybody automatically knows the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
        3 sets of 20 jumping pullups is not actually strength training.
        It's just stupid exercise for the sake of suffering

Just like 100 squats at 50% 1rm

I think all xfitters do 'strength training' and 'metcon' and would agree that rhabdo risk doesn't come from the strength training.
        Sorry for assuming everybody automatically knows the difference.
        I don't think anyone should do a jumping pull up ever !

Eccentric training is an awesome tool but to do eccentric pull ups you should use a bench to get yourself into the top position and then do a slow controlled negative.

Comment

I think you're misunderstanding bcbcbc2's point. CrossFit is not strength training. This is one of the main criticisms of CrossFit.
          Yep, my failure was in writing with people like you in mind without realizing some would'nt get it from what I said.

Comment

I'm just a mom, who went to a reputable gym, to hire a trainer to help me get back in shape and make me a stronger runner.

Comment

I'm just a mom, who went to a reputable gym, to hire a trainer to help me get back in shape and make me a stronger runner.
              And the trainer failed. I'm sorry for that. A true strength training protocol may have its risks, but rhabdo really isn't one of them.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

And the trainer failed. I'm sorry for that. A true strength training protocol may have its risks, but rhabdo really isn't one of them.
                This.
                Including stength programs using negatives in proven ways.

Comment

I feel with you. You are feeling betrayed by somebody you trusted with your health. It's a hard lesson but I'm pretty sure that by now you know to trust only yourself with your health. As a woman we are much more intune with our body, it's just that we need to re-learn to listen to it.
                  I understand from your story that your body repeatedly told you to stop. Your trust in your trainer made you go against your body's warnings. I totally get it, I would have done the same if I hadn't learned that hard lesson a long time ago. Every thing to get in shape, right?

I'm happy you are recovering and are able to function relatively well. If i'm understand it correctly you'll be busy recovering the damaged muscles. Are you going to use a physical therapist this time?
                  My advise: start slowly, yoga, pilates, slow movement training. Treat your recovering body as you would treat your kids...

I really hope you will recover completely soon.
                  Thanks for teaching people about this
                  My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

If you want the strength and fitness training modality with the lowest possibility of adverse effects look into Body By Science / SuperSlow / Slow Burn / HIT

Comment

There's nothing wrong with jumping up to the bar if there's no bench or you're too short. That's the way I have been doing it. At first, because of the leg swinging, I'd jump up and then brace my legs on whatever I could reach to stop swinging. Then let myself down. I'm better at not swinging so much when I jump up now, maybe because it's really hardly much of a jump anymore.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        There's nothing wrong with jumping up to the bar if there's no bench or you're too short. That's the way I have been doing it. At first, because of the leg swinging, I'd jump up and then brace my legs on whatever I could reach to stop swinging. Then let myself down. I'm better at not swinging so much when I jump up now, maybe because it's really hardly much of a jump anymore.
                        It's not advisable. If you couldn't reach the bar for benchpress you would never think it okay for someone to lift it off and drop it into your waiting hands, same for any other exercise. The load on the tendons during such balistic moves is very severe and can easily cause injury.

I use in excess of 100 lbs of added weight for my eccentric pull ups, there is no way I'd risk the stress to my tendons by jumping up into position.

Most gyms have a step, bench or something similar to use in getting to the top position.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                          It's not advisable. If you couldn't reach the bar for benchpress you would never think it okay for someone to lift it off and drop it into your waiting hands, same for any other exercise. The load on the tendons during such balistic moves is very severe and can easily cause injury.

I use in excess of 100 lbs of added weight for my eccentric pull ups, there is no way I'd risk the stress to my tendons by jumping up into position.

Most gyms have a step, bench or something similar to use in getting to the top position.
                          Maybe you're talking about jumping then grabbing the bar.
                          I've done 'jumping pullups' as reaching up, grabbing the bar then pushing off with the legs to assist.
                          I see no additional ballistic force in that. Just a head start into the motion that my arms and back have to finish
                          My home chin/dip station bar is low enough to reach. I have to bend my legs to do strict full range chins.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
                            Maybe you're talking about jumping then grabbing the bar.
                            I've done 'jumping pullups' as reaching up, grabbing the bar then pushing off with the legs to assist.
                            I see no additional ballistic force in that. Just a head start into the motion that my arms and back have to finish
                            My home chin/dip station bar is low enough to reach. I have to bend my legs to do strict full range chins.
                            Ah my bad, I was indeed thiking of jumping, grabbing the bar and using the momentum to help get to the top for each rep. As you say jumping to assist while keeping your hands on the bar all set should be okay for most.

Comment

I am not a fan of the cross fit, personal training culture. I can't belief how they portray that a personal trainer is required to work out or that a 50 year old should be able to do what a 35 year old should. Use common sense, if it looks ridiculous it probably is.

There are a bunch of trainers out there that treat all people like they are professional athletes. The majority of us have jobs and training us like professional athletes is irresponsible. I actually had a personal trainer tell me that he wouldn't work with my wife if he couldn't control all workouts and her diet. Because once he took her on that it was his reputation on the line.

Not a fan of the Personal Training profession, seen too many people being told to do ridiculous things to stupid levels.

Comment

That is super scary! Glad you shared- I am just starting to learn how to do the whole pull-up thing (no trainer, just myself) but it is good to know that these things are possible. Thanks so much for posting! Nice to see things didn't go the worse for you. Out of curiosity, were there any lasting impacts?
                                Stephanie
                                "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                X