Heavy Lifting made me bigger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
    This is a myth. Rep ranges cannot influence one type of growth over the other. The size of the sarcoplasm is limited by the size of the myofibrils. In other words, a cell can only hold so much sarcoplasm and that amount is limited by the size of the myofibril within it. Thus, it would seem it is impossible to increase sarcoplasmic growth in the absence of myofibrillar growth regardless of what strategies are employed.
    Do you have a reference for that? That sarcoplasmic growth is limited by the size of the myofibril seems reasonable. That There cannot be sarcoplasmic growth without myofibrillar growth would imply that the sarcoplasm is always at it's maximum size, which doesn't seem right to me. What you claim contradicts a lot of expertise in both bodybuilding and strength training.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinnell View Post
      Do you have a reference for that? That sarcoplasmic growth is limited by the size of the myofibril seems reasonable. That There cannot be sarcoplasmic growth without myofibrillar growth would imply that the sarcoplasm is always at it's maximum size, which doesn't seem right to me. What you claim contradicts a lot of expertise in both bodybuilding and strength training.
      Certainly Sir.....

The Myth of Non-Functional Hypertrophy

Drew Baye has also been doing research into this matter and has concluded the same, you might be able to google his articles on this subject.

Comment

Certainly Sir.....

The Myth of Non-Functional Hypertrophy

Drew Baye has also been doing research into this matter and has concluded the same, you might be able to google his articles on this subject.
        From the article: With higher volume training the average bro might be able to gain 5-10 lbs or so of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy across his entire body over what he would on lower volume protcols.

Comment

For example adding a little side delt size will make the waist look much smaller. Build a nice thigh sweep, rounded glutes, tight oblique's, nicely shaped calves. Decide the shape you want and then custom your routine with that goal in mind.
          How do you increase side delt size?

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by diene View Post
            chin-ups and milkshakes.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by diene View Post
              Barbell high pulls with a shoulder vide grip to the top of your head or dumbbell laterals among other stuff...
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Andria View Post
                You are performing too many reps. And if you are doing a circuit you are not taking enough rest and therefore can not be "lifting heavy" enough. Your rep range is closer to that for hypertrophy. You want to be in the 4-6 rep range, for the true definition of lifting heavy, to increase strength and not size.

I did strong lifts a few years ago and only got stronger and leaner, no increase in size. I am female. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.
                Thanks- will check these out. I've been going about this all wrong. I've been aiming for higher reps (10-12) and eating more carbs. And here I am, stronger yes, but bigger. I don't think I've put on too much fat, but I think the higher carbs just mean more food in general for me- it's harder to control my intake when I eat more carbs- so I've gained size. I want to be leaner so I need to do some big time reassessing about my eating habits and workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                  Barbell high pulls with a shoulder vide grip to the top of your head or dumbbell laterals among other stuff...
                  Yep definitely nice strict slow side laterals, when you hit failure try going straight into a set of neutral grip presses using the same dumbbells.Side laterals using a low pulley are also an excellent side delt movement.

Here is a video giving some good info on the side raise using dumbbells:

Comment

Originally posted by FireFinder View Post
                    Thanks- will check these out. I've been going about this all wrong. I've been aiming for higher reps (10-12) and eating more carbs. And here I am, stronger yes, but bigger. I don't think I've put on too much fat, but I think the higher carbs just mean more food in general for me- it's harder to control my intake when I eat more carbs- so I've gained size. I want to be leaner so I need to do some big time reassessing about my eating habits and workouts.
                    10-12 reps is a good range, to maximize hypertrophy ( muscle growth ) the set needs to last between approximately 50-90 seconds. As size cannot be gained without a corresponding increase in strength then this is optimal whatever your goal.
                    50-90 seconds is quite a long time compared with how long most people spend on a set so to reach this time you need to either do more reps, as you do , or do slower reps......I've found 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down to work great.

You sound like you are doing great anyway so I'm sure once you have fine tuned the diet side you will look awesome.....keep us updated !

Comment

This thread confuses me... I would so much rather be strong than small. Plus my body type is never gonna be small no matter what I do. If you're like me and you gain muscle mass easily from lifting, then I would suggest leaning into it because being strong as shit will make you not care about your size, believe me. (And if you're truly lifting heavy and fueling properly, you will get lean, and your muscles will be even more eye-popping.)

Comment

Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
                        This thread confuses me... I would so much rather be strong than small. Plus my body type is never gonna be small no matter what I do. If you're like me and you gain muscle mass easily from lifting, then I would suggest leaning into it because being strong as shit will make you not care about your size, believe me. (And if you're truly lifting heavy and fueling properly, you will get lean, and your muscles will be even more eye-popping.)
                        I didn't realise anyone was debating being strong or small ?

If you increase your muscle mass than strength has to increase also. The debate was just regarding what is the safest, optimal way to bring about this increase.

Comment

Huh, I thought the thread title "Heavy Lifting made me Bigger" and the OP lamenting her newly-gained muscles making her appear larger meant that the thread was about wanting to be small rather than large. And my POV is, I'd rather be strong, and if strong means bigger, bring it on. The only females I know who are able to get stronger while still looking small are girls who are natural ectomorphs/hard-gainers, and their strength stalls out at a certain point anyway. Whereas, it sounds based on her descriptions that the OP is a mesomorph, and I was only trying to point out that trying to remain small while gaining strength, as a mesomorph, just isn't going to happen. Your muscles are going to get visibly bigger because that is your body type. So, trying to remain small, as a mesomorph, means that you will also remain pretty weak. At some point you have to choose between strength and size.

And like, I'm not a behemoth, or anything--I have visible muscles and am strong for my size, but also have a conventionally sought-after shape. I'm no ballerina, but I have what would be termed "a good body". So gaining some visible muscle and getting a little bigger is really not the end of the world. You will still look bangin', as long as you're keeping the BF% semi-low.

If I'm off-base, apologies, but I just wanted to offer an alternate POV, because I existed way too long in that "chase the ballerina body" mindset and it just made me miserable and was impossible anyway. I look way better now that I've figured out I should lean into strength training and celebrate my muscular body type.

Comment

I have what would be termed "a good body"
                            photographs please...

Comment

I posted in the vanity pics thread a couple weeks ago, have at it.

Comment

I posted in the vanity pics thread a couple weeks ago, have at it.
                                And I appreciated those pics then. I was just trying to get more out of you. Yiu know, for the sake of the internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X