Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overweight, middle-aged, sore ankles . . . how do I improve my walking??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overweight, middle-aged, sore ankles . . . how do I improve my walking??

I'm 50, female, not fit, and about 50lbs overweight (I mention this in case it is relevant - I'm improving in the fitness and weight areas, but the age, not so much ).

I generally wear very low or no heels when I'm out and go barefoot at home - always have done, so this isn't new. I'm getting really sore ankles now, though, and I'm wondering if it's how I'm walking.

I think I'm coming down really heavily on my heel, and it's stressing the joint towards the back of my ankle. If I'm sitting down for a while (like for the 1/2 hr drive home) when I get out of the car I feel like my ankle can't bend and I limp in pain for the first few steps until it loosens up again.

It's bizarre to be my age and trying to figure out how to walk . Walking is an important part of my fitness plan, and this is really getting in my way!! Do any of you have any bright ideas about how I can work on this??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Just keep walking. In my late 30s I decided to get in shape by walking and went through a phase where my hips hurt a lot. I just kept walking and it sorted out. Walking seems to fix everything if you just keep doing it. Little pains come and go.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

i second keep walking, but try to be more gentle on your heels.

sometimes my feet get tight after driving for lengths of time and hobbling til i can walk again gets everything back to normal
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        try to be more gentle on your heels
        Should the heels be the first part of the foot on the ground?? (OMFG, have you ever tried to analyse something that's this automatic?? I started trying to concentrate on how I was walking and damn near fell over!)
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Can you get down into a squat position?

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

i wouldn't say focus on them, but keep the sensation of your heels hitting the ground at the front of your mind. if i feel my heels stomp on the ground i ease up a little til it's like a soft roll from heels to toes

yeah i walk heels-first and jog on my toes
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

I agree with the keep walking suggestions. Being strong will decrease the pain. Two years ago I was 90 lb heavier and even waddling was painful. Now I run and lift and skate board! I still have pain but it is nothing like what it used to be and it mostly has to do with something that makes sense like over doing it on something. I'm so impressed that you are starting out on this journey!!! Go you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                Can you get down into a squat position?
                Hahahahahaha. Ummm. No.

Seriously, though, it's something I'm working on. At the moment my knees go in, my ass goes out, everything creaks - and sometimes I fall over. I'm better if I hold onto something like the post on the porch. Every so often I feel my legs and ass take the weight and it feels fantastic. Then I lose it again.
                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Yes, you're all quite right about carrying on with the walking. I just don't know that I can carry on without shoes or with flat tennis shoes - I've been doing this for over 2 years, and lately it's getting worse. At first I assumed it was general inflammation, but now I'm wondering if it's mechanical instead.

As crazy as it seems, I'm actually about 10000% better than when I started this way of life!! I just want more awesomeness . Greedy much??
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

How's your vitamin D3 level? I get heel pain whenever mine is low. Maybe ankle pain wouldn't be too far off from that.

Also, have you every tried a trial without nightshades? Some people have a major elimination of joint issues when they give them up.
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                      How's your vitamin D3 level? I get heel pain whenever mine is low. Maybe ankle pain wouldn't be too far off from that.

Also, have you every tried a trial without nightshades? Some people have a major elimination of joint issues when they give them up.
                      Vit D is great - just got test results back today .

Yes, I've followed the link in your signature and it's really helped! I get pains in my feet and a bit in my fingers when I eat potatoes and you finally helped me to make sense of it!! It seemed like such a stupid symptom, lol. This ankle thing is something different, though.

Through my PB time I've made so many changes, but it's taken a good doctor to help me to finally pull it all together. The weight will start to come off now that my hormone/toxin/inflammation profile is so different (he assures me of this, lol) - and I have the energy and desire to get stronger. I want to feel the joy of being in my body.
                      Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Yes, your heels hit first when you walk. If you are trying to walk fast, you will overstride or lengthen your stride, which will cause you to hit your heels harder. So you may need to slow down a little or consciously shorten your stride. The only way I can walk fast and keep up with other fast walkers while wearing minimalist footwear is to run. Which is why I go hiking in running shoes that have enough cushioning that I can walk fast without having to run.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Yes, your heels hit first when you walk. If you are trying to walk fast, you will overstride or lengthen your stride, which will cause you to hit your heels harder. So you may need to slow down a little or consciously shorten your stride. The only way I can walk fast and keep up with other fast walkers while wearing minimalist footwear is to run. Which is why I go hiking in running shoes that have enough cushioning that I can walk fast without having to run.
                          Ahhh, that makes so much sense!! I walk with my husband, who is fitter than I am and has very long legs. OK, I can shorten my stride and focus on softening that first impact. I think I'll try walking on my own for a bit and see if that helps. If it does, I could use supported shoes when we go for a 'lope' together.

Thanks!
                          Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

in terms of squatting, the man who taught me exercise programming when i studied personal training told us to get people who couldnt squat to use a swiss ball as support against a wall and roll down it like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLfdHYJIfoQ

otherwise i have seen suggestions for using a door frame or a post as support. i think a swiss ball would be better as you still have to balance yourself on the way down. they are cheap on trademe as i was looking for a balance board the other day.

re: ankles and walking too. when i stuffed my ankle a few months back and it acted up. i found wearing combat boots really helped as they had an ankle support. mine are tactical assault boots so they are much softer and more flexible than a hiking or hunting boot.

Comment

seas, what did you think about the woman on the clip saying that you shouldn't go lower than parallel with squats?? I've heard both that you should and shouldn't, and both are just as definite .

I use the post at the moment, but I don't really know that it's helping all that much because I think I rely on it too much. I do try and remember to ease off it, but end up practically swinging on the damn thing sometimes. But if I try to squat without any support I think my form goes all to shit.

That's in interesting idea about the boots - I could use them when there's going to be extra stress on the ankles, like fast walking or rocks. Plus it would be bad-ass to have tactical assault boots
                              Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Working...
                              X