Best Sprinting Resources?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Sprinting Resources?

My time for exercise just got tighter and I'll be utilizing more sprints, but I know little about the technical aspects. Any good, practical info out there for an amateur? Preferably not overly complicated, just a little deeper than "run fast" lol.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Although some people think that Mercola is a quack (and I admit that my opinion of him has declined), I think this article has good info: High-Intensity Interval Training 101 | HIIT Benefits

I mean, in general, what you want to do is run really fast for either a set distance (like 200 meters or 400 meters) or a set time (like 30 seconds), and then rest (walk/jog) for some amount of time. Usually, if you're doing time intervals where the work interval is less than a minute, a good place to start is to use a 1:3 ration for work:rest. So if you sprint for 30 seconds, you would rest for 90 seconds, then sprint another 30 seconds, rest 90 seconds, etc. You should do between 4 to 8 intervals.

You can also do these on a stationary bike or rowing machine if you don't feel like running.

ETA: Mark has said somewhere that you should eat more carbs the day before doing sprints in order to fill up your glycogen stores. He said something along the lines of: there's no point to doing a glycogen-depleting workout if you don't have any glycogen to deplete or something like that. I'll try to find it.

My journal

Comment

Actually, Mark has some good articles on sprinting that are probably better than the Mercola one I linked to above:

Sprint – Workout Suggestions | Mark's Daily Apple

Why Sprinting is Essential | Mark's Daily Apple

After a quick search, I can't find where Mark said the thing about glycogen, but I'm really pretty sure that he did. Back in my low carb days, I always made sure to eat more carbs before sprints cuz Mark said that you could develop metabolic problems if sprinting in a glycogen-depleted state. Maybe someone else can find the article in which he says this.

My journal

Comment

Cool, good start! I'll read those after baby appointment, thanks!
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

When you're at work doing a night shift, can you shoot across the empty hallways whenever the feeling hits?
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Here's a good one.
            When Should You Do Conditioning? | thefitcoach
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

When you're at work doing a night shift, can you shoot across the empty hallways whenever the feeling hits?
              Yes, there are abandoned floors I can sprint on. But if I got a cramp there, nobody could help me.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                Yes, there are abandoned floors I can sprint on. But if I got a cramp there, nobody could help me.
                You're still getting cramps?

Comment

You're still getting cramps?
                  Actually, no, not at all. I've even worked out too hard, and was fully expecting them - and it didn't happen. But I'm still wary. I sprint near home so I can yell for help, lift heavy things at work in the gym for the same reason. Just playing it safe. I think once my endurance is up from sprinting, cycling and - if I keep it up - running, then I might gain more confidence. It just hasn't been long enough since my last cramp. It's been maybe three years? The memory of such excruciation persists. Maybe if my legs weren't useless pillars of inflexible muscle mass I'd be better off. Running will take mass off, I'm looking forward to that, to be honest.

Unless the sprinting balances out the running and my caloric excess proceeds to add bulk. but kind of at the same time.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Wow, if it were me getting cramps I would have started again after half a year LOL. You are a careful one.

Well, you could just sprint for 5 seconds a day and move up slowly, to be safe? I mean, the worst thing that could happen is that your pain comes back and you're working at a damn hospital to receive immediate care, anyway XD

Comment

I've never had a cramp from sprinting, just that pre-cramp tightness that scares the poop out of me. I sprint five sets twice a week (lately) without trouble.

The only thing that has caused me cramps is going too fast on my bicycle. So, really, these "fears" if you will, are irrational. Yes, they are. Thanks for dragging this out of me. I can totally sprint at work. I'll carry a vial of baking soda just in case.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I get you . I had a horrid example as well. You can do this.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I actually want to join a team and be a real sprinter. I know I'm a white guy, but I've never met anyone who could outrun me. My brother in law is 6'5" and pretty healthy, has those Ethiopian legs and tight calves, and I wasted him on a hill sprint. At first I thought he was letting me win as my footsteps took the lead ahead of his, then I glanced over my shoulder once I had the upper hand and saw his face, riddled with exasperation! I want to run faster than you, I want to win, I want to leave you wondering how the hell I did it! If I was ever born for anything, it was exploding. Race me!
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I just google mapped my driveway and apparently I've been doing 77 meter sprints. I guess I should use a real distance so my time means something, huh?
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

That is awesome. Keep running.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X