Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movin' to the weights room- please adapt my program!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I will sacrifice my valuable time to volunteer as a judge. For science. And freedom.
    'Murrca
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
      The fire of responsibility burns deeply in certain heroes.
      And with that responsibility comes power.

...Wait, I think it's the other way around. Dammit.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          Olympic weightlifting has one of the lowest injury rates among sports. Running around a field kicking a soccer ball is what will kill you. Weight Training Safety and Injury
          This would be relevant if sports were being compared, but not to a discussion of the relative risks of different exercise methods.

Any method of training can be effective if it is done with a high level of effort, progressively and consistently, but not all training methods are equally safe. Since the same general benefits can be achieved more safely using exercises performed at a more moderate speed of movement and with minimal acceleration during the turnarounds people should opt for those instead.
          Drew Baye
          High Intensity Training

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
            If this is how you end up by following Rippetoe's advice then I think I'll pass !

While Rippetoe gets a few things very wrong, criticizing his physique is not a valid argument against any of them.
            Drew Baye
            High Intensity Training

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
              Sure. This doesn't contradict what's been recommended by me in this thread.

Lastly, I am not aware of a better ass-builder than barbell squats.
              Deadlifts.
              Drew Baye
              High Intensity Training

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Baye View Post
                Deadlifts.
                Cool that you stopped by. Did you see all the pingbacks from OldSchhool posting links to your articles? Since you're here and apparently willing to throw your two cents in, I hope you won't mind me picking your brain about the danger of power cleans, if they're correctly performed and weight is added progressively, in small increments?
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If you wanna be a bodybuilder, be a bodybuilder. All we're saying is get moderately strong first.
                  Hehe, and I suppose that “moderately strong” in SS terms means benching X 1.5, squatting X 2 and deadlifting X 2.5 of bodyweight, just to pass the SS novice level? That’s the Starting Strength "mouse-trap", to keep people in the SS fold until “they are strong enough”! And neophyte lifters are trapped by the "magic" of lifting numbers, that are relative irrelvant unless you are a powerlifter, learning all the "smart" tricks to get the bar up just for the sake of lifting more weight! Definetely not my cup of tea that cheap Starting Strength brew...
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                    If this is how you end up by following Rippetoe's advice then I think I'll pass !

Actually Rip looks better than usual in that photo, but more important than his "look" is how he moves IMO...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

If you are doing pushups there is no real need for the tricep pushdowns.
                      If you have knee issue adding in some lunges will work muscles in a different wau so they are worth doing IMHO. Leg extensions may also have a role in rejuvenation your knee
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                        Hehe, and I suppose that “moderately strong” in SS terms means benching X 1.5, squatting X 2 and deadlifting X 2.5 of bodyweight, just to pass the SS novice level? That’s the Starting Strength "mouse-trap", to keep people in the SS fold until “they are strong enough”! And neophyte lifters are trapped by the "magic" of lifting numbers, that are relative irrelvant unless you are a powerlifter, learning all the "smart" tricks to get the bar up just for the sake of lifting more weight! Definetely not my cup of tea that cheap Starting Strength brew...
                        No, I tossed out those estimates earlier as a ballpark figure for the sake of argument.

Rippetoe is abundantly clear that the Starting Strength novice program ends when you can no longer progress on a workout-to-workout basis (IOW when you're no longer a novice).

Although most people if they are male, not elderly, and not morbidly obese seem to be able to get at least that much progress out of linear progression.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

No, I tossed out those estimates earlier as a ballpark figure for the sake of argument.

Rippetoe is abundantly clear that the Starting Strength novice program ends when you can no longer progress on a workout-to-workout basis (IOW when you're no longer a novice).

Although most people if they are male, not elderly, and not morbidly obese seem to be able to get at least that much progress out of linear progression.
                          Alright, because very few newbie lifters would have the genetic's to do the numbers you tossed out within the period of 3-9 months that is estimated to be the period of SS linear progression! I checked the weightlifting performance standards of Lon Kilgore the companion of Rippetoe and those seem to be much more realistic;

Weightlifting Performance Standards

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Alright, because very few newbie lifters would have the genetic's to do the numbers you tossed out within the period of 3-9 months that is estimated to be the period of SS linear progression! I checked the weightlifting performance standards of Lon Kilgore the companion of Rippetoe and those seem to be much more realistic;

Looks like I'm an advanced upper body lifter and an intermediate lower body lifter. Damn. Kinda wish that was the opposite, but thats what spending your formative years ignoring your leg work does to you I guess.

I don't clean or snatch though, so I guess I can't count those.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Looks like I'm an advanced upper body lifter and an intermediate lower body lifter. Damn. Kinda wish that was the opposite, but thats what spending your formative years ignoring your leg work does to you I guess.
                              Yeah, me too, but I know from experience that I need around 3 whole weeks to re-activate my neurolgical brain patterns for squats to get it up enough to become "advanced" also in that lift...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Yeah, much has been written about the regrettability of using the terms "novice, intermediate, advanced, etc" in the performance chart when they have nothing to do with one's training age. I think for reasonably sized, young, male novice lifters, most people can reach the numbers I referenced.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X