Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My relative wants to lose 30 pounds by Christmas. What should I tell him?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also I am amazed at how many calories in-calories out people we have on this thread. Your body isn't a simple calorimeter. Hormones, stressors, genetic expression all count for something as well. Not that calories don't matter... But it is one small variable in a long equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by rockapig View Post
      Laz
      How do u feel about fasting diabetics? Can a well controlled diabetic incorporate that strategy or does steer wreak havoc with cortisol and blood sugar? Thanks
      That is not at all a black and white question.....

When I counsel or treat diabetics, everything is based on my own sliding scale. The amount of carbs, fasting amounts, medication regimens, all of it is based on movement in the blood work I do.

First of all, it is of course very different if the person is insulin-dependent or acquired. Fasting CAN be done in both, but the approaches are very different.

Secondly, I use the 100g glucose test a lot because I can run it out of my office without an official phleb lab. This cuts costs for me as well as the patient, and I don't have to wait for results. Every 3 months I send out for an Hba1c as well.

Using all of this information, along with age, years of having DM, disease factors, etc, I come up with a set of numbers and goals. It is a step-wise process, and IN THE END the goal is to have a person that can fast without issues....doing so before the body has been adequately prepared can cause BG crashes that in a diabetic can be fatal.

Understand that the core problem with an NIDDM patient is that their is not an adequate response to insulin by the cells. When fasting, you drive down the levels even more, and using diet and exercise, I try to get the person into a state where, as I say to them, "Glucagon has a seat at the table now".....this means that insulin is not constantly elevated, and I am by definition defeating their insulin resistance. This can eventually lead to a completely healthy metabolism in regards to glucose.

I am instantly repulsed by anyone that says "Diabetics should do X,Y, and Z". It is a very complex problem that a one-size-fits-all approach is insane for.

In short, do not fast until you have spoken to a doctor about it. If they seem like they have no idea what you are talking about, get a new one
      "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

Unlike some of the others, I think this is realistic, particularly for a man. He'd want to do it with a combination of proper diet and exercise. I'm a woman, and I lost 20 lbs of fat in 3 months when doing P90X in combination with good diet. Men typically are able to lose weight at a higher rate than women due to carrying more muscle mass, so I see no reason why he couldn't do that.
        High Weight: 225
        Weight at start of Primal: 189
        Current Weight: 174
        Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
          I lost 25 lbs in about 2 months when I first did paleo....I was 23 then though, and had been on a pretty fat-enducing vegan diet that required taking laxatives daily to not feel like death. So I guess I speak from personal experience, if a pretty extreme one.

First of all, forget about the weight number itself. It is close to meaningless. He should gauge his progress by the mirror and strength goals alone.

I would HIGHLY suggest he not do Insanity or P90X, as this will, in the beginning, just induce him to eat more and have a harder time staying on the diet he needs....diet is everything for a newbie. The exercise is 15%, tops.

To get a REALLY fast cut (what he is asking for), the Rx is not a lot of fun. Here is what I would have him do:

Exercise:
          - 3 days of bodyweight stuff, BarStarzz or just primal fitness ebook. He can do them at home easily.
          - 1 day of sprint intervals a week
          - The hard one: 4-6 hours of hiking, vest walking per week. All but the sprints should be done fasted, IMO.

Diet:
          - Paleo with white rice or sweet potato (better) on the 4 workout days, no starch on the other 3, little fruit, meat and veg.
          - 16 hours of fasting on workout days. 20 hours on fasting days with the LISS included, done fasted.

All of that can be done without any equipment, without leaving the home but to walk a lot. There are no shortcuts really....as my fav trainer once told me, "If you want phenomenal results, you are doing to have to pay dearly for them. Being ripped up is not a free lunch" Good luck. It's great he is taking this on.
          When you mention the 16 and 20 hours of fasting. Is that very similar to the Warrior Diet? My brother in law uses the Internet at work when he's on lunch. He did stumble upon this workout routine. I can't remember where he got it from. Here is the workout routine. Let me know what you think of this everyone:

10 Sets and one set includes:

10 push ups
          10 pull ups
          10 dips
          10 squats
          10 burpees

I think he got it from watching Youtube videos.

Comment

That is a Crossfit workout....

I enjoyed the Warrior Diet and sort of do it myself, but no. There have been people experimenting c fasting on DM for decades.
            "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

Comment

If he's waffling over what exercise program to do but not yet doing any exercise program at all, I'd say his prospects are not good. He should just start trying stuff while he's making up his mind what to do.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

For me nothing happened weight-wise the first 2 weeks on the PB. Then I lost about 2 lbs. a week at a steady clip. I think I was fairly low carb with little fruit and no starches.

I was also doing the exercise portion as well.

I'd say he either goes heavy, by changing his lifestyle to the PB or he goes home. Trying to lose that much blubber in 10 weeks would just be a brutal crash diet where he'll shed both lean muscle and bone mass as well as fat, the latter of which will be packed on as soon as he resumes his old lifestyle.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback. He has already lost about 3-4 pounds. He will not be going back to his old ways. He loves eating Primal. He has decided to do Shaun T's Focus T25 workout. Then move on to something better when he is done with that. Most likely join a gym. Curtis has decided he won't go back to his old ways ever again after the way it made him feel. He feels more alive right now than his whole life.

He is wondering about eating broccoli. Is that a good vegetable to eat everyday? He has a Costco membership and really likes broccoli for some reason. lol
                  He just heard that starch in vegetables is bad.

Comment

I think his goal is do-able. At the very least, he's going to see a change in body composition as he goes along, even if he doesn't reach his "weight" goal.

But, I think he will need to be strict in three ways:

1. he really needs to do the Whole30 version of primal (no cheat days, no paleo treats, etc);

2. he needs to follow PB Fitness (it will do the work, get him started, and it's no more than 30 minutes 3x a week -- two lifting, one sprinting);

3. he needs to make sure he's getting enough sleep (this seems to be the biggest thing in our household for maintaining healthy weight).

I think if he does that, he'll be surprised at how quickly he reaches and surpasses his goals.

My recommendation is that he does Whole 30 for the next two months combined with basic Primal Blueprint Fitness -- which takes very little time. Two body weight workouts per week that last about 30 minutes (or less), plus one sprinting session that's less than 30 minutes for sure.

Part of the reason that we went paleo/primal is due to the time constraints of our work/family life. This said "don't work out too much, just work out hard/smart when you need to. Eat well. get plenty of rest."

Our Primal diet is closer to Whole30 -- has been for nearly three years now. We IF -- but that's not necessary (coming up on the one-year anniversary of dong that). And, we basically "work out" 3x a week (DH hits the gym for heavy weights; I do my bodyweight stuff (challenging yoga poses); we both sprint together). And, we play a lot as a family (hiking, swimming). Dh and I do yoga and mobility work each day (gentle).

It's a really simple process. Very basic and straight forward.

Comment

In season, we basically eat broccoli every day.

It's spring now, so we are re-diversifying, but the whole winter (basically from June to present), we've had the following veggies pretty much every day: brussels sprouts, cabbage, cavolo nero kale, pumpkin (starch, but we actually need it because we are maintaining ourselves, not loosing), carrots, and chard (also called silver beet here).

We are currently eating spring salads (lettuces, asparagus, beets, baby greens, sprouts, etc) plus some winter veg. Whatever is in season and cheapest is what we eat.

Comment

Zoebird, I was so pleased to see asparagus at last! I'm so over broccoli.
                        Annie Ups the Ante
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by fitnessfanatic View Post
                          Thank you all for the feedback. He has already lost about 3-4 pounds. He will not be going back to his old ways. He loves eating Primal. He has decided to do Shaun T's Focus T25 workout. Then move on to something better when he is done with that. Most likely join a gym. Curtis has decided he won't go back to his old ways ever again after the way it made him feel. He feels more alive right now than his whole life.

He is wondering about eating broccoli. Is that a good vegetable to eat everyday? He has a Costco membership and really likes broccoli for some reason. lol
                          He just heard that starch in vegetables is bad.
                          You don't actually need to eat veggies... If you eat liver and etc. But broccoli is good since he likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                          X