No announcement yet.

Excessive build up of lactic acid in thighs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've been doing the same workouts for a long time, then is this discomfort a new thing, something that started happening after you went low carb? (Are you low carb? This isn't clear from your posts.)

I'm not sure what caused it, but, in my experience, when I was VLC (very low carb--meaning less than 20 g of net carbs per day, on average), it became increasingly difficult for me to recover from my workouts. And I was even doing a cyclic ketogenic diet that included carb refeeds once a week (that's just a nice way of saying I ate lots of carbs on weekends). But I was always in ketosis by Wednesday, according to the color of ketostix.

Anyway, back then I was doing the same workout routine that I had been doing for a long time. And for as long as I remember, I was always able to do sprints on a day after weight-lifting. However, after being on a cyclic ketogenic diet for a couple weeks, I started to be unable to sprint the day after weights because my muscles wouldn't have fully recovered. This is despite the fact that I was lifting the same weights every week. Well, I did improve a little, but it really wasn't enough to be meaningful. It was 100% caused by a lack of carbs because it went away after I added carbs back into my diet.

Now, I can do all kinds of crazy stuff at Crossfit and still sprint the next day.

My journal

Comment

Hi agenthh,

Lactic acid is cleared from the muscles pretty fast... most of it is gone within 10 minutes. It sounds more like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is what you are experiencing.

Decades ago, researchers believe this was caused by lactic acid, but we now know this is not the case. The accepted theory right now is that the pain 24-72 hrs after a workout (DOMS) is caused by microscopic muscle damage and subsequent inflammation.

No straight forward answer for you, but hopefully this will steer you in the right direction.

Ryan
      Last edited by RyanIPT; 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanIPT View Post
        Hi agenthh,

Lactic acid is cleared from the muscles pretty fast... most of it is gone within 10 minutes. It sounds more like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is what you are experiencing.

Decades ago, researchers believe this was caused by lactic acid, but we now know this is not the case. The accepted theory right now is that the pain 24-72 hrs after a workout (DOMS) is caused by microscopic muscle damage and subsequent inflammation.

No straight forward answer for you, but hopefully this will steer you in the right direction.

Ryan
        I would tend to agree. What you're describing sounds more like DOMS than lactic burn. As I've played around with different amino acids I found that arginine really helps with both the clearance of lactic acid as well as DOMS.

Comment

Working...
        X