squats proven harmful, coaches dropping them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squats proven harmful, coaches dropping them

Deep bends and duck waddles fall to a Texas professor's - 03.12.62 - SI Vault

But, but, everybody knows that you MUST squat to get larger biceps, so what are we going to do in the squat rack now, since Rip has told us that biceps curls are off-limits...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

that's funny

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
      But, but, everybody knows that you MUST squat to get larger biceps, so what are we going to do in the squat rack now, since Rip has told us that biceps curls are off-limits...
      you've definitely had one too many plates dropped on your head, haven't you?

Comment

I shouldn't feed the Gorbatroll, but the fact is that Rip doesn't prescribe high bar ass-to-grass squats, in part because they involve less musculature and allow less force production, but also for the main reason cited in the article - the high level of shear forces on the knee.

Second fact you'll hate to hear - The Starting Strength book actually teaches a bicep curl. OMG. Is your mind blown?
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
          you've definitely had one too many plates dropped on your head, haven't you?
          Cheer up, and get your morning coffee, no reason to be in a catabolic mood post 10 am…
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            I shouldn't feed the Gorbatroll, but the fact is that Rip doesn't prescribe high bar ass-to-grass squats, in part because they involve less musculature and allow less force production, but also for the main reason cited in the article - the high level of shear forces on the knee.
            I suspect that the main reason is rather to give neophyte lifters the illusion of progressing for a longer time by being able to put more weight on the bar…

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post

Second fact you'll hate to hear - The Starting Strength book actually teaches a bicep curl. OMG. Is your mind blown?
              I suspect that the main reason is rather to give neophyte lifters the illusion of progressing for a longer time by being able to put more weight on the bar…
              way to go RM. see what you started.

Comment

Rippetoe didn't say curls are off limits. Rippetoe advocates chinups over curls for novice level lifters as it builds a better base over a larger group of muscles. To quote him directly:

"So if you want big arms and you've trained through the novice phase when they're growing accidentally anyway, you curl the barbell because it lets you stress the biceps more specifically. "

Comment

Is hamstring recruitment and the stretch-shortening cycle an illusion now? Good to know.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I suspect that the main reason is rather to give neophyte lifters the illusion of progressing for a longer time by being able to put more weight on the bar
                    Gorbag, you're just adorable.

(Adorable part underlined)

Comment

Hey, there comes quikky as well, so now my day is complete! Yes, making form more easy to lift more gives an illusion of gaining more strength! Hey, I learned that already thirthy years ago, so my know-how is light years ahead of you SS guys here...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Hey, there comes quikky as well, so now my day is complete! Yes, making form more easy to lift more gives an illusion of gaining more strength! Hey, I learned that already thirthy years ago, so my know-how is light years ahead of you SS guys here...
                        it's truly funny when someone only has the tiniest piece information (gorbag) yet thinks he knows everything. this has been settled 1000 times before. yes. form gets better for the first several session. so yes, the person can lift more weight each session. but that doesn't happen infinitely. it honestly only happens a few times. so perhaps, during the first month of training, one could attribute increasing weight to better form.. but after that, form doesn't continually get better. people are actually getting stronger and growing muscle by squatting. I know your puny little mind must be blown by this. but it's the truth. consider yourself edju-ma-cated. and stop trolling forums for cheap thrills.

Comment

There is so much skill and neurological adaptions in addition to pure strength adaptions especially in big compound lifts so you are plain wrong here! A lifter that start lifting at the age of 15 and reaches his genetically determined muscular limits at age 22 and 200 pound and a max squat of 400 pound can still continue to set PR for many years to come in the same weight class. Why? Neurological adaptions and improvements of lifts, not physiological strength as such. Sorry to burst your bubble here notontherug…

- Schopenhauer

Comment

There is so much skill and neurological adaptions in addition to pure strength adaptions especially in big compound lifts so you are plain wrong here! A lifter that start lifting at the age of 15 and reaches his genetically determined muscular limits at age 22 and 200 pound and a max squat of 400 pound can still continue to set PR for many years to come in the same weight class. Why? Neurological adaptions and improvements of lifts, not physiological strength as such. Sorry to burst your bubble here notontherug…
                            So the guys who squat 800lbs+ aren't stronger than me? Damn that makes me feel better about myself.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Correct. When a skinny kid starts squatting 110lb, and after finishing his linear progression he is squatting 310lb, it's all an illusion due to form. He just didn't know how to squat before.

Comment

Working...
                              X