farmers walk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farmers walk

Anybody ever train these? Or even see it done?
    Most of what I google up is oriented toward a strongman event approach.
    I want to use it basically as my 'sprint'

I tried using relatively light weights and walking the entire 120 yards of my dead end spur road at a normal walking pace.
    The metabolic load was about right but I had to stop because it felt like there was a cord running from my ring fingers to elbows that was about to snap. I expected my forearm muscles to scream but this felt like a 'bad' tendon strain type pain.

What I'm using is a couple of tricep bars.
    Thinking I may have to carry them at an angle downwards in order to get a better four finger grip.

Farmer's walk is not a viable substitute for sprints. Not sure what's up with your forearms though. I never had that problem, just total fatigue and "feeling the burn" in my hands and abdominals.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Because you'll never farmer's walk your way up to 90%+ of your max heart rate for 20-30 seconds.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Good answer

So 90% for a couple seconds then muscle fail?

Or can't get there at all?

Could I get more conditioning if I use straps or hooks?

I'm gonna have to see for myself of course. They're on the schedule for monday.

Comment

They're a strength endurance exercise, not a cardio absolute balls to the walls exercise. You will get less hand/forearm work and more core work if you use straps.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I used to use them for my forearms/grip and core. I would use a curling bar and alternate carrying it one side at a time to work my core harder.

They are not suitable for the purpose you are describing. Do some Kettle bell swings, Man-makers using DB's or something of that nature if you are wanting to get the heart rate up.
              Last edited by OldSchhool; 09-26-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                Maybe I can invent my own protocol
                My road is one continuous substantial hill so that might help.
                If not I can use the core work

Comment

Yeah, swings were already next on the list if this doesn't work out or even alternated with the farmers walks.

Comment

I refuse to do anything at a hectic pace.

Maybe literally sprints but my legs and feet aren't ready for those yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post

Sprints are the only thing I'll do at an all-out pace. My form goes to hell when I'm tired, and it's too easy to injure myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post

Either sprint or don't. Don't do something that resembles a sprint in absolutely no way as a substitute for a sprint. Exercise bike is easier on your legs and feet. 20 seconds on, 1:40 off. As fast as you can go for 20 seconds. All out. 100%. Shark is chasing you on his exercise bike speed. 1:40 of hardly moving. Repeat. at least 6 times to start.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

The forearm is composed of many muscles. Some people work some and not others. My index finger, middle finger and thumb were stronger in my right hand (manipulating art stuff) and my ring and middle finger were stronger in my left (carrying). It's probably that your natural way of using your hands doesn't call your middle finger in to work too much. Get some grip-trainers and do lighter farmers' walks to build the muscle up. Also consume animal tendons and ligaments (in sausage-form, if you're ridiculously squeamish) to give your body materials to strengthen your own tendons.
                          --
                          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

If you are trying to give your heart a workout without doing cardio then dont worry about %s. heavy walks, pushes and pulls all work the entire body including the heart and lungs. I am very anti cardio in that i dont see it having much benefit and many negatives. I think you can get very impressive results with just strength endurance work alone.

Things like high rep work, complexes, intervals, walks, pushes, pulls, will accomplish this nicely.

I try to add one of the above to almost every workout as a warmup or finisher, occasionally it will be an entire workout.

Comment

Maybe you should do farmer pushing the tractor.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X