No announcement yet.

Lifting standards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to compete in CrossFit, you definitely gotta learn to kip. I'd bet your difficulties are just a timing issue though, I'm sure you have the strength. Are you doing a military/overhead press? That would definitely be a good way to get some work in that might help you get stronger at the handstand pushups.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by toscamulder View Post
      Pfff that's really good you guys! Nice!
      How about the olympic lifts, do you just don't care much about them, are 'scared' (eeh that's not in our vocabularies) by the technique they require, or maybe feel like the powerlifts are getting you your goals just as well?

I like them, because I like the feel of not only getting stronger, but at the same time learning an incredible sport!

Current stats (when we're all posting )
      Front Squat: 70
      Back Squat: 80
      Clean: 60
      Jerk: 55
      Military Press and bench: not sure, think 35-40 and 55-60.
      Deadlift: 110
      All in kg by the way.
      You've got some really good number there. I'm curious to know why you would want to train cross fit when you could continue with your lifts, practice your snatch and go for the summer Olympics in 2016? You're young enough and with a good coach you've got the time.

Another one of my goals for next year is to train with Alexander Varbanov.

Comment

Thanks for the support! I appreciate it.
        It's the group of friends what makes crossfit so much fun. And I don't have a coach nor know any weightlifting coaches. Weightlifting is a really small sport here in Holland.
        That name sounds like a Russian beast kind-of-lifter. haha. Dmitry Klokov is the only name I know, but all I can do is dream about training with such a champion. And work the hell out.

Comment

About the kipping- it's definitely the technique I haven't mastered yet. For example, normal ring pullups feel less heavy than 'kipping' ring pullups. I manage to kip to a certain height, and then have to pull myself up from a dead position again. No efficient way to pull myself up. I'd say (: But in the globo gym they don't have a proper pull-up rack. Too bad.

Comment

have you seen these?

Weightlifting Performance Standards

Comment

Jep, I know them. But they aren't representative/ don't reflect the scores properly, because it says I've been lifting for multiple years already (I weigh 63 kg). So at first I was just flattered, now seeing vids on youtube of people lifting way more than I do I've set my goals further.

Comment

Tosca, how do you train your bench?

My bench is lagging so badly and not a lot is helping. I'm mainly interested in other females advice since I feel that maybe there's something happening that's sex-related.
                Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
                Bench: 45kg/99lb
                Squat: 100kg/220lb
                Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
                My journal

Comment

Bench is just a bitch of a lift for some of us.
                  I did 7x140kg in deadlift the other day, and my 1RM is 167.5kg, but bench my 1RM is 84kg. I saw a guy who is nowhere near my deadlifts do way more than me in bench today. It's kinda sad.

My bench is continually improving, just at a much lower rate. My military press is also low. So for some reason my upper body is just way behind my lower body lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghshl View Post
                    Bench is just a bitch of a lift for some of us.
                    I did 7x140kg in deadlift the other day, and my 1RM is 167.5kg, but bench my 1RM is 84kg. I saw a guy who is nowhere near my deadlifts do way more than me in bench today. It's kinda sad.

My bench is continually improving, just at a much lower rate. My military press is also low. So for some reason my upper body is just way behind my lower body lifts.
                    That's really not an abnormal deadlift:bench ratio. The other guy was just a bench-bro. Ladies have a much harder time with the upper body lifts, because they carry significantly less of their muscle mass up there.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I actually never even train bench. In crossfit we don't do it often and it doesn't help me in weightlifting either. Just pr'd it once to know where I stand in those lifting standards.

Comment

Originally posted by nixxy View Post
                        Tosca, how do you train your bench?

My bench is lagging so badly and not a lot is helping. I'm mainly interested in other females advice since I feel that maybe there's something happening that's sex-related.
                        I don't think it's sex orientated cos my bench sucks as well! What I did was forget about bench and concentrate on incline dumbbell bench and weighted dips and that seems to have helped my bench, and also my OHP has increased as well. Plus bench did not add much mass to my chest (for me) but incline is adding it slowly. I have my incline slightly less than 45 degrees to enable my chest more and shoulders less....

Hope this helps. Good luck.
                        Only way to know is to try something for a month or so, if it don't work then ditch it and try something else.
                        My PB Journal

Comment

Military press is awful. It just is. You don't see progress as soon as with other lifts, at least I don't.

Comment

With the military, I'm finding that using a slightly lower weight for more reps works pretty well. I'll often add some singles after my heaviest multiple-rep lift. It's fascinating how little weight alters when I can do it for multiple reps, and when I simply can't get the weight up once.

Comment

I'm too embarrassed to post my old lady numbers here. You rock, little lady.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghshl View Post
                                With the military, I'm finding that using a slightly lower weight for more reps works pretty well. I'll often add some singles after my heaviest multiple-rep lift. It's fascinating how little weight alters when I can do it for multiple reps, and when I simply can't get the weight up once.
                                If I try to do 6reps, the first set I can do 4 straight presses and the rest is push press with as little leg effort as possible to still get the weight up. The second, third and forth set, the straight to push press ratio slowly moves to 1:5 (:
                                Last edited by toscamulder; 09-29-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X