Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reps & Sets with Overhead Press

Has anyone come upon this?
    Increasing weight each workout but unable to complete 5 reps.
    Instead of 5X5 its 5X4, 5X3, 5X2 or 5X5, 5X4, 5x3.
    This is only happening to me in overhead press.

How much are you increasing the weight by? 5 lbs is often too much of an increase in overhead press. Get some 2" ID industrial washers and progress by 2.5 or even 1.25 lbs per session.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Yes, actually I was. Thanks for that, and now you mentioned it I remember reading it :-)

Comment

Hit the overhead press from all angles. Behind the neck, push press, incline press, snatch grip, dumbell press, handstand press. Also work on tricep strength with dips, close grip bench, etc. do some heavy singles and doubles to get used to heavier weight

Comment

Originally posted by umm7 View Post
          It's a very common problem! Instead of putting more weight on the bar - you can play with partial reps for a while. So when failing on 4 or 3 full ROM presses - get the bar up to lock-out by doing push-press and lower it to your ears for partials. You can also lower the bar to your shoulders or chest and do push-presses from there, trying to get the bar to the top of your head but without locking out on top...
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I would stay away from behind the neck presses!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by John Watson View Post
              I would stay away from behind the neck presses!

Dont be that guy.

Comment

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/d...ses-13300.html

Comment

Perhaps I should have said, "be very careful", instead of "stay away."

Comment

Originally posted by umm7 View Post
                    I did Stronglifts 5x5 for 12 weeks

Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift, Row and Overhead Press.

The ONLY one I could not consistently move up on was the Overhead Press, I stalled out at 120lbs.
                    I tried different grips, speeds, and breathing, just could not get there. I deloaded down to 100 and went up again, to 120.

The discussion on the Stronglifts board was that it is pretty common to stall on that lift, and a really good milestone is 135lbs.

So, yes, it is common to not be able to hit all 5 reps for 5 sets

As said before, you can get micro plates, to add 1 or 1.5lbs to each side. I am also doing Dips to build strength.

Comment

Dips are awesome...just have to be careful with them too. They can put an extreme amount of stress on the shoulders if your form gets sloppy/loose.

Comment

Originally posted by John Watson View Post
                        Dips are awesome...just have to be careful with them too. They can put an extreme amount of stress on the shoulders if your form gets sloppy/loose.

You and that article could say the same thing for any exercise. Thats why a certain idiot trainer subs in bulgarian spilt squats because squats are too dangerous.

I agree that form is important but dips and btn presses have been staples of every strong man for the last century.

OP. variety and volume and frequency is key to a strong OHP probably more so then any other lift. Micro loading helps i suppose but people like Dan John are against it saying just rep the fuck out of a certain weight until its easy then toss on some 25s (not 2.5s!) and start again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                          You and that article could say the same thing for any exercise. Thats why a certain idiot trainer subs in bulgarian spilt squats because squats are too dangerous.
                          I have a really confident guess who you're talking about, but to be fair, lots of idiot trainers sub BSS for squats because squats are "too dangerous."

I agree that form is important but dips and btn presses have been staples of every strong man for the last century.
                          Especially presses. I do think behind the neck presses have lower reward:risk ratio than pressing in front of the head. But you still have to lockout over the scapulae, and I think a lot of people miss that point.

OP. variety and volume and frequency is key to a strong OHP probably more so then any other lift. Micro loading helps i suppose but people like Dan John are against it saying just rep the fuck out of a certain weight until its easy then toss on some 25s (not 2.5s!) and start again.
                          Yeah, yeah. Paint the 5 lb plates pink and all that. Personally, I don't buy it. If you can add weight to the bar every time, you're getting stronger. If you're pressing once per week and add 2.5 lbs every time, you'll add 150 lbs to your press in a year. 1.25 x 52 is still 75 pounds, assuming you miss a couple workouts.

What did you add to your press last year? I would consider adding 75 pounds to my press work weight to be the best press training year of my life by a long shot. 150 and I'd write an ebook, sell a million copies, and retire.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            I have a really confident guess who you're talking about, but to be fair, lots of idiot trainers sub BSS for squats because squats are "too dangerous."

Especially presses. I do think behind the neck presses have lower reward:risk ratio than pressing in front of the head. But you still have to lockout over the scapulae, and I think a lot of people miss that point.

Yeah, yeah. Paint the 5 lb plates pink and all that. Personally, I don't buy it. If you can add weight to the bar every time, you're getting stronger. If you're pressing once per week and add 2.5 lbs every time, you'll add 150 lbs to your press in a year. 1.25 x 52 is still 75 pounds, assuming you miss a couple workouts.

What did you add to your press last year? I would consider adding 75 pounds to my press work weight to be the best press training year of my life by a long shot. 150 and I'd write an ebook, sell a million copies, and retire.
                            I agree. A few oldtime strongmen would micro load with ounces and it worked. It can be done either way. We all lnow linear progression only goes so far though. You may add 75lb in year one, 40 in year two and 10 in year three.

Also, klokov presses for boulder shoulders.

Comment

I agree. A few oldtime strongmen would micro load with ounces and it worked. It can be done either way.
                              It can be for sure. I guess the question is what's more optimal for a particular trainee.

We all lnow linear progression only goes so far though. You may add 75lb in year one, 40 in year two and 10 in year three.
                              Oh, definitely. Wouldn't dare suggest otherwise.

Also, klokov presses for boulder shoulders.
                              Well, I do love exercises "named" for someone who was born decades or centuries after the exercise became popular.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X