Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Aren't I supposed to feel like crap? What is going on here?! I had eggs and bacon for breakfast, and some tea and a tiny glop of molasses in my coffee. I ate one carrot. I had OMG less than 30 grams of carbohydrate today! And then I ran a mile as a quick fitness test, since I don't normally run but clearly ought to have the capacity. Which I do, and I currently reek of ketones, ha ha. It's coming out of my pores! Should I run farther next time? How far do I have to run before being low-carb makes me fail? Ten miles? Taking bids now...somebody push me!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Dude, one mile is nothing. Try for five next time and work your way up from there.
    I can't believe you are running, btw.

On a more serious note, make sure your electrolytes are balanced before you run. Get plenty of salt and potassium. Ketosis depletes those very fast, as you probably already knew.

Comment

Try to do intervall sprinting first for 25 minutes and thereafter run for one hour, five days a week and then we'll talk...
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I find that the most energy I have for running comes after having fasted - so if I skip breakfast and lunch and then do an afternoon run or ride, I'm basically on fire for it. Not that I fast a lot, but when I do that's the result.

On a clean primal diet you can do basically jack all in terms of exercise for ages and then still be capable of performing. In evolutionary terms, that's the ideal physiology to have really - you conserve energy for the most part, but you can also 'put the hammer down' at a moments notice. That's why I never really plan any training, I just do is when I feel like it.
        Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Yes, I eat lots of electrolytes daily. I'm prone to cramps, so I usually take 1200mg of magnesium, 800+mg of potassium (via food or supplement), and 1/2 tsp of baking soda daily. And once a week I eat a pound of bacon, which easily has a week's worth of salt, ha ha. Oh, I also often salt my steak with potassium chloride, though I will not replace that once it's gone since I learned about chloride being correlated to high blood pressure, which I have occasionally had. And there's sauerkraut, super salty.

Five miles sounds like a fun benchmark. Then maybe seven.

This isn't to become a habit, I'm just taking the ol' body out for a few spins. I'll never promote running, I just wanted to see this "bonk" that people talk about.

Try to do intervall sprinting first for 25 minutes and thereafter run for one hour, five days a week and then we'll talk...
          I don't know if my CAFO-grown body can ever do that. My joints are pretty floppy, though I do enjoy what sprinting I do from time to time, I am prone to hyperextension and have to be really careful. But, that does sound like a fun standalone challenge sometime. I'll keep it in mind. I suspect that by day three I'd be crying for mommy, though.

I find that the most energy I have for running comes after having fasted - so if I skip breakfast and lunch and then do an afternoon run or ride, I'm basically on fire for it. Not that I fast a lot, but when I do that's the result.

On a clean primal diet you can do basically jack all in terms of exercise for ages and then still be capable of performing. In evolutionary terms, that's the ideal physiology to have really - you conserve energy for the most part, but you can also 'put the hammer down' at a moments notice. That's why I never really plan any training, I just do is when I feel like it.
          That was my mindset when I did this. Honestly, I was just going to walk to the mailbox today, but the weather was perfect and I felt like the carburetor needed some revving.
          Last edited by Knifegill; 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            I don't know if my CAFO-grown body can ever do that. My joints are pretty floppy, though I do enjoy what sprinting I do from time to time, I am prone to hyperextension and have to be really careful. But, that does sound like a fun standalone challenge sometime. I'll keep it in mind. I suspect that by day three I'd be crying for mommy, though.
            “Bonking” or “hitting the wall” due to low glycogen levels is something to try Knifegill! - it's almost an existential experience, so you should try it at least once in a lifetime, just to find out how it really feels...
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

But what if I'm too fat-adapted to bonk and just keep smoothly burning fat? Will I have to ramp up the intensity, say run faster, to out-do my energy supply? Clearly sprinting is a good tool for that, so I see where your idea for sprinting before a run comes in. I may try that tomorrow, to find out whether I'm relying on glycogen or am truly more or less glycogen depleted. I normally eat enough protein for gluconeogenesis to occur.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Yes, I eat lots of electrolytes daily. I'm prone to cramps, so I usually take 1200mg of magnesium, 800+mg of potassium (via food or supplement), and 1/2 tsp of baking soda daily. .
                So you find this helps?

I ran two (slow) miles Sunday and got a terrible side ache but that may not be the same as muscle cramps. I'm training for a four mile trail run in nov.

I always here that you hit the 'wall' around 20 miles but that not for ketosis types.
                Last edited by lea; 09-17-2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I'm not a runner, I'm an eater. You are asking the wrong person, ha ha. This is just what I do to prevent my thighs from ripping my knee caps off.

BUT, I speculate and only speculate, IF side stitches truly are just cramps of the diaphragm, then breathing slower and/or lytes may help.

I used to get those stabbing pains ever time I ran or did anything physical with cardio, and now I never do! I never even thought about it, but it's possible that this supplementation is why I don't get side stitches anymore. You've made me think!

*go easy on the baking soda; causes the runs if you over-do it. I find 1/2 teaspoon to be the right amount, but not daily. I don't supp all the lytes every day, just when I know I'll do something. The body, I feel, should be left alone often to balance itself. Pounding it full of potent stuff too often can't be good.
                  Last edited by Knifegill; 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm not a runner, I'm an eater. You are asking the wrong person, ha ha. This is just what I do to prevent my thighs from ripping my knee caps off.
                    Ha.

Comment

Fat is low octane if you can keep intensity low enough it may get you through. If ramping up intensity you will need super-octane or glucose/glycogen, or you will be in serious trouble! Usually it may take a couple of days or three to deplete glycogen by ramping up training volume and intensity somehow while keeping carbs low. Gluconeogenesis will not provide enough glucose if raising volume and intensity, but you can test it out and find your limits. And yes, it feels pretty miserable when bonking, just saying...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Why would you discontinue potassium chloride because of the chloride but continue sodium chloride (salt)? Or did you mean the problem is the potassium? What I have heard is potassium is bad for people with high blood pressure if they are taking blood pressure medication because they could lower their blood pressure too much if they take potassium supplements on top of their medication.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I find breathing deeper than normal for 20 - 30 seconds to help with side stitch. If that doesn't work, slow down and walk fast for a minute if possible.

Comment

Fat is low octane if you can keep intensity low enough it may get you through. If ramping up intensity you will need super-octane or glucose/glycogen, or you will be in serious trouble! Usually it may take a couple of days or three to deplete glycogen by ramping up training volume and intensity somehow while keeping carbs low. Gluconeogenesis will not provide enough glucose if raising volume and intensity, but you can test it out and find your limits. And yes, it feels pretty miserable when bonking, just saying...
                            Sounds like some gray area, I do not know whether or not I typically use/rely on much glycogen. I assume I do, since I don't push myself too hard on a regular basis...but all it takes is 10 minutes in the gym to start the ketone smell. It's much different than normal BO, it's almost sweet.

Why would you discontinue potassium chloride because of the chloride but continue sodium chloride (salt)? Or did you mean the problem is the potassium? What I have heard is potassium is bad for people with high blood pressure if they are taking blood pressure medication because they could lower their blood pressure too much if they take potassium supplements on top of their medication.
                            I seek to reduce my chloride intake, as practically as possible. Since bacon and sauerkraut come presalted with sodium chloride, that's just kind of going to stay put. But since I can at least find another source of potassium crystal that isn't made with chloride, I will. Yes, I like potassium for its pressure-lowering activity. And to balance out the sodium, since it's important to maintain a good ratio of potassium to sodium. I give my body what it needs and let it pee out the extra. Which, I admit, still confuses me - why is reducing chloride intake a good idea if my body is going to maintain a certain amount of it anyway?! Maybe I'm a chloride retainer...my pressure was very high about a year ago, so I actively seek to keep it lower-ish.
                            Last edited by Knifegill; 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                              I find breathing deeper than normal for 20 - 30 seconds to help with side stitch. If that doesn't work, slow down and walk fast for a minute if possible.
                              I'll try that next time. It seems to hit at two miles or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X