Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
    Timed mile? Better for me to do a timed 3 mile, since that's exactly two trips to the mailbox! Or is that like my 77-meter sprint?
    mile and a half would be good
    you could use the US Air Force charts for evaluation

or run the 3 miles and use the Marines charts

Comment

• 1.5 miles just seems really short. I just got laughed at for considering that a run. I'd think even Ghandi could run 1.5 miles really fast.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
        The strongest animals are whales and they are vlc too. Ruminants rely heavily on fat metabolism, the fats are supplied by mutualistic bacteria in their gut. True they get some glucose from the breakdown of cellulose but simple sugars are foreign to them and would probably give them the shits.
        I reckon a controlled experiment involving you, a two litre bottle of coke and a rhino with IBS would make excellent entertainment.
        I guess you missed the part where i said land animal. None of this matters though, as humans, we are fastest on carbs. There is not a sprinter or runner around that would say different. Even VLC runners use carbs during marathons.

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        1.5 miles just seems really short. I just got laughed at for considering that a run. I'd think even Ghandi could run 1.5 miles really fast.
        Do a 5k.

Comment

• anything from 1500m to 10 miles as fast as you can go would measure pretty much the same things.
          More total glycogen used for longer, higher rate of process for shorter.

Go with your measured 3 miles then.

You would need under 28 minutes to stay in the Marines
          <18 minutes to 'Max' the PT test.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
            I guess you missed the part where i said land animal. None of this matters though, as humans, we are fastest on carbs. There is not a sprinter or runner around that would say different. Even VLC runners use carbs during marathons.

Do a 5k.
            I ran a trail marathon in June without carbs. Would have gone a bit faster with carbs most likely but I prefer to not be at the mercy of such a limited fuel supply. It was fun running past all of the carb loaded boys at around 20 miles as they were desperately trying to drag their sorry asses to the next carb station.
            Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
            www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

• 3 miles in 18 minutes? Okay. I'll do it keto and then do it carby and see which is better, and which I can improve. This seems more useful than just blatantly exhausting myself without any real numbers to back anything!
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Not to be nitpicky, but 5k is actually 3.10685596 mi. and 18 minutes is quite an ambitious goal for most people.

Comment

3 miles in 18 minutes? Okay. I'll do it keto and then do it carby and see which is better, and which I can improve. This seems more useful than just blatantly exhausting myself without any real numbers to back anything!
                  Knife, I feel like you would need to run on whatever diet (word used as in what a person eats) and then transition to a higher carb diet and settle in with it and then run again. Does that make sense?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

3 miles in 18 minutes? Okay. I'll do it keto and then do it carby and see which is better, and which I can improve. This seems more useful than just blatantly exhausting myself without any real numbers to back anything!
                    Well there might be a problem here from a strictly science experiment POV. So if you are a novice runner training running in keto for a best time, that parts fine, but how long will you carb up for before doing your carb run? If you run too long in a carb up state you have to factor in that as a novice runner you very well improve your mechanics and conditioning via training rather than carbs. If your carb up is just a day or two and redoing the run then it could call into question if you are adequately switched over to carbs as an energy source. That could cut both ways.... a train low run high mentality would expect that your ketoadaptation is what gives you the edge ... or if your run sucks it could be that you didn't sufficiently load carbs to both increase your glycogen capacity first then fill/max it out. See, science is trixy

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Well there might be a problem here from a strictly science experiment POV. So if you are a novice runner training running in keto for a best time, that parts fine, but how long will you carb up for before doing your carb run? If you run too long in a carb up state you have to factor in that as a novice runner you very well improve your mechanics and conditioning via training rather than carbs. If your carb up is just a day or two and redoing the run then it could call into question if you are adequately switched over to carbs as an energy source. That could cut both ways.... a train low run high mentality would expect that your ketoadaptation is what gives you the edge ... or if your run sucks it could be that you didn't sufficiently load carbs to both increase your glycogen capacity first then fill/max it out. See, science is trixy
                      I think I sort of just said that. Don't freak him out...he's a new Daddy.

Comment

• Yeah that's pretty good going.
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                          Knife, I feel like you would need to run on whatever diet (word used as in what a person eats) and then transition to a higher carb diet and settle in with it and then run again. Does that make sense?

Agreed. If also add that you probably should perform several runs in each state (say 3) and take an average time. You are likely to improve on subsequent attempts, if only from being more familiar with the course, terrain and your pacing etc.
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                            Agreed. If also add that you probably should perform several runs in each state (say 3) and take an average time. You are likely to improve on subsequent attempts, if only from being more familiar with the course, terrain and your pacing etc.
                            Oh exactly. Shoot..now we have to clone knife. Sigh.

Comment

• No, I'll have to train keto, test, then train carby, test, then train keto again, etc. Perhaps a month or more each. My carby times have to consistently beat my keto times. Over. And over. And over.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

No, I'll have to train keto, test, then train carby, test, then train keto again, etc. Perhaps a month or more each. My carby times have to consistently beat my keto times. Over. And over. And over.
                                You love these experiments don't you?

Comment

Working...
                                X