Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Low-Carb Diets are Terrible for Athletes: Part 2 AnthonyColpo
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Thoughts: carbs help people run faster.

Usain Bolt pre olympic meal: ‘I had some plaintains, some hash browns, fruit, then a wrap from McDonald’s. For lunch I had rice and pork and some apple juice.’

Comment

Usain bolt only has to perform for 10 seconds. Men who use fat can go all day
        Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
        www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
          There's nothing wrong with performing for ten seconds, as long as you're the best in the world at it.

;-)

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
            Knife was specifically talking about improving sprinting times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              There's nothing wrong with performing for ten seconds, as long as you're the best in the world at it.

;-)

Sent via F-22 Raptor
              keep telling yourself that. as the hordes of disappointed women do the walk of shame from your house every morning...

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                This guy has numbers! How a low carb diet affected my athletic performance (Part 4) The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Maybe my sprinting sucks because I'm low carb. The good news on that test: it won't take six months of killing myself to find out! I will keep sprinting at least twice a week, if not more, as my sole workout besides bodyweight (you can take my push-ups when you pry them from my cold, flat hands!). After a month of consistent low-carb sprinting, I'll go for max time. Then, I'll carb up for a month and keep going for it, and at the end of that month, go all out and see again if I've beaten my keto time. I'll just rig a string that stops a stopwatch.

Thoughts? It's a different experiment, but one that I can fit into my schedule better...

Maybe when spring comes I'll take on the exhaustomatic plan a page back...
                Note that what he found to suffer was VO2 max.
                Read up on how much VO2 max effects sprint performance at 100m and less.
                I think little to absolutely not at all.

I think low carb would detract nothing from your 1st sprint time.
                Now your 5th or 10th or 20th repeat in a sprint workout might be a much different matter.

Comment

Even the most keto adapted person will have enough glycogen stores for one all out sprint. I dont think that has much bearing on whether LC vs HC is better for speed.

Comment

Of course glucose releases energy faster, there are less steps in glycolysis than the varied steps in getting fat to enter the citric acid cycle. Petrol burns faster than diesel it's not inherently better. It is quite possible to train the mitochondria in your muscle cells to become more tuned to lipolysis and they will adapt. Cheetahs are on vlc and they do alright. I'd rather be one of the big cats than a gaily coloured hummingbird flitting around for a few years eventually getting pwned by an insect.
                    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
                    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
                      Of course glucose releases energy faster, there are less steps in glycolysis than the varied steps in getting fat to enter the citric acid cycle. Petrol burns faster than diesel it's not inherently better. It is quite possible to train the mitochondria in your muscle cells to become more tuned to lipolysis and they will adapt. Cheetahs are on vlc and they do alright. I'd rather be one of the big cats than a gaily coloured hummingbird flitting around for a few years eventually getting pwned by an insect.
                      Hahaha, great argument. Well the strongest land animals on earth are all herbivores so veganism must be the answer to getting strong, right?

We are nothing like carnivores and no matter how much you fantasize, humans will always be faster with high glycogen storage then with not.

Comment

• Okay, so sprints won't be a reliable indicator. Got it. Running is, then, probably the most useful option as a litmus?
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          Okay, so sprints won't be a reliable indicator. Got it. Running is, then, probably the most useful option as a litmus?
                          Yea, actually a timed mile or 5k would tell you the most since there are set numbers about what a good mile or 5k is.

Comment

• Timed mile? Better for me to do a timed 3 mile, since that's exactly two trips to the mailbox! Or is that like my 77-meter sprint?
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                              Hahaha, great argument. Well the strongest land animals on earth are all herbivores so veganism must be the answer to getting strong, right?

We are nothing like carnivores and no matter how much you fantasize, humans will always be faster with high glycogen storage then with not.
                              The strongest animals are whales and they are vlc too. Ruminants rely heavily on fat metabolism, the fats are supplied by mutualistic bacteria in their gut. True they get some glucose from the breakdown of cellulose but simple sugars are foreign to them and would probably give them the shits.
                              I reckon a controlled experiment involving you, a two litre bottle of coke and a rhino with IBS would make excellent entertainment.
                              www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                                Timed mile? Better for me to do a timed 3 mile, since that's exactly two trips to the mailbox! Or is that like my 77-meter sprint?
                                Cooper test ain't bad. I did one this summer keto adapted and my VO2 max came out at just over 50.
                                www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X