Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
    Does everyone else agree these are acceptable
    benchmarks?
    I don't. It's difficult watching you struggle to workout, doesn't seem like it even feels good. Maybe it's just the way I read you but it seems like you're burned out. And with a baby coming this can't be a good time to drastically increase a workout schedule. I know you're trying to document all of your efforts to prove ketosis is a fine state to be in long term, but it doesn't come off that way at all. It would be interesting to watch you document displacing fat with whole food carbs and see how your performance changes. That would do a lot more to prove or disprove your point.

Comment

Knifegill, I sort of agree with Moluv.

I have been twice through nursing a newborn, I was sharing the load with my wife except for breasfeeding with our first child. The second one was unfortunately on formula due to my wife's poor production. Anyway, I could not care less about WO routines and diet, the house was a mess, sleep was horribly fragmented, etc. I was cooking without refined sugar or excess shit but relied half of the time on prepared meals from local take-aways. I gained bad fat during that phase but that's just how it is. It is easy to lose it again once the baby phase is over.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
        Benchmarks for what?

There is really nothing seriously in contention here.
        There IS a level of intensity times duration that is doable on high carb but not low.
        There is NO health benefit from that level of exercise. It's all performance or vanity.
        Look at the actual primal fitness blueprint. There is no problem meeting it on low carb.
        If you bonk then you're doing chronic cardio.

If you meet any specified standard nobody is going to say they were wrong.
        They'll just say you could do more on high-carb. And probably be correct but so what?
        well, yes and no.

yes, there is a performance level which you can achieve low carb. and if you exceed that, you probably require more carbs. and that level may vary from person to person. but crossing that threshold isn't unhealthy or chronic cardio. crossing it can be done through various exercise plans/schedules, none of which are classified as "cardio" or "chronic cardio" at all.

Comment

Fuck the haters, knife, shoot the moon!

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post

I was just pointing out that the activities you are describing are so low burn that they don't really qualify as "cardio on VLC" - which would be totally cool, except you're suggesting that your activity is somehow evidence that meaningful cardio exercise and VLC are a good match.

In the meantime, the fact that your body can't do any of those things even once is evidence to the contrary.
            I agree with this part of the statement. you set out to prove that you can do all of this hardcore exercise while eating low carb or vlc. except, you aren't doing any hardcore exercise. I don't get it

Comment

We're all gonna make it brah
              Make America Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                I agree with this part of the statement. you set out to prove that you can do all of this hardcore exercise while eating low carb or vlc. except, you aren't doing any hardcore exercise. I don't get it
                But it FEELS hardcore to him

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                  Does everyone else agree these are acceptable benchmarks? I am glad to have goals now, thank you! *scribbles out new workout calendar*

So-
                  Monday - Run
                  Tuesday - Crazy push-up day
                  Wed - Run
                  Thurs - LHT
                  Friday - Run
                  Sat - Bicycle
                  Sun - Sprint

This looks positively exhausting. Should do!
                  That's perfectly fine for a workout schedule, assuming the running days are of sufficient distance and pace (and yes, of course, work up to them!). It absolutely is not "overtraining" (again, assuming you work up to it). Personally I would replace "crazy push-up day" with a second LHT - ie, the A and B splits of a 5x5 like routine - but ultimately this is going to be driven by your own personal goals. I would also consider moving the sprint day to the second run day, and leaving one day for full blown rest.

There's also no reason you can't have biking and LHT on the same day. My typical LHT day is a 5x5 workout sandwiched between two 10km bike rides (to/from the gym) and a 1km swim.

But again - once the goals are defined, the schedule details sort themselves out naturally.
                  Last edited by DeeDub; 09-30-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Ha, ha, Knifegill is a man of science, repeating experiments that was in focus the last two decades of the 19 th century...
                    Last edited by Gorbag; 09-30-2013, 08:39 AM.
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                      therein lies the problem

Comment

Originally posted by moluv View Post
                        Yeah, that's kind of the point.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                          well, yes and no.

yes, there is a performance level which you can achieve low carb. and if you exceed that, you probably require more carbs. and that level may vary from person to person. but crossing that threshold isn't unhealthy or chronic cardio. crossing it can be done through various exercise plans/schedules, none of which are classified as "cardio" or "chronic cardio" at all.
                          There is a large gray area between what is necessary for optimum health and what is detrimental.

Biking or running are the main things mentioned here . Levels of those that can't be supported on low carb is chronic cardio.

Anything else that can't be supported on low carb is not necessary and quite possibly chronic something.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
                            There is a large gray area between what is necessary for optimum health and what is detrimental.

Biking or running are the main things mentioned here . Levels of those that can't be supported on low carb is chronic cardio.

Anything else that can't be supported on low carb is not necessary and quite possibly chronic something.
                            i'm starting to think that a lot of people have a very low definition of what hard work actually is.

i'm also starting to realize that a lot of people here are a lot lazier than they let on and certainly not leading active lifestyles. this would explain a lot of why everyone "thinks" they can do "loads" of exercise while eating vlc. I guess it's all relative

Comment

That's my point.
                              There is a level of exercise where the objective value tapers off rapidly and the 'value' is something like feeling good about how hard you work.

Comment

Shit guys, i think knife is doing a shit ton of volume. I know i dont do a quarter as much as that. I also dont think i need or want to do more though.

Comment

Working...
                                X