Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And how are the abs doing these days ? Just reading your activity log makes me feel half exhausted

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      Kept doing curls yesterday, and today is 700 push-ups. I'm doing a set of 10 every 8 minutes until 10:20 tonight starting at 12:00.
      Holy Grok!, seem like an obsessive push-ups disorder…
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

And how are the abs doing these days ? Just reading your activity log makes me feel half exhausted
        They're stable. Oddly not that impressive yet. I'll probably lose the ab-off.

oly Grok!, seem like an obsessive push-ups disorder…
        I hope so!
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

820 push-ups, check!
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Yesterday was more sprints and today I rode my bicycle (heavy 45-pound beach cruiser, no cheater racing bike) on hills for over an hour.
            Need a distance for that. How far did you go?

Next time I run, I'm going not faster but longer. Instead of 1.5 miles, I'm going to go 2.25 miles, since that's the trip to my mailbox and back and to again. I feel my current pace is adequate, since it's at the upper end of what I feel I could do all day if I had to.
            "what I feel" don't mean Jack until it turns into "what I did". Do that pace for 5 miles and we have a starting point to talk from. A 1.5 mile run for a (guessing) 170 pound man is only using about 160 calories - such a low level of exertion can be fuelled from pretty much anywhere. Hell, you can probably absorb that much from the atmosphere through osmosis.
            Last edited by DeeDub; 09-29-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
              Yesterday was more sprints and today I rode my bicycle (heavy 45-pound beach cruiser, no cheater racing bike) on hills for over an hour.
              Need a distance for that. How far did you go?

Next time I run, I'm going not faster but longer. Instead of 1.5 miles, I'm going to go 2.25 miles, since that's the trip to my mailbox and back and to again. I feel my current pace is adequate, since it's at the upper end of what I feel I could do all day if I had to.
              "what I feel" don't mean Jack until it turns into "what I did". Do that pace for 5 miles and we have a starting point to talk from.
              Apparently I rode 11.4 miles that day.

I'd just go run ten miles, but I know my thighs will cramp if I do. I'll happily live the rest of my life in ridicule in exchange for not getting a cramp. I've never run before, and I know better than to go from untrained to marathon in a week.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Apparently I rode 11.4 miles that day.
                That's a pretty slow pace, for cycling. You're looking at right around 300 calories for an exercise lasting over an hour (it would be only be around 200 if you were on a road bike).

It's great that you're doing this stuff, but if your intent is to show you can do "cardio" on a VLC intake and be just fine, you're actually providing evidence for the opposite.

Comment

It's a beach cruiser. I cramp. I've actually never ridden that far before, locally, and will keep adding distance every time. I will never add speed to my bike ride. That is asking for a cramp. I've lived, and learned.

The running, though, that should grow fast. I will likely go for a run today and go the 2.25 miles I talked about. I weigh 180, 17% body fat.

Once I train up, I should be able to do all the same stuff as a high-carber, that's the theory anyway. Would YOU advise somebody who has never run to just go outside and run ten miles?
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

No, I wouldn't.

And in fact, I wasn't.

I was just pointing out that the activities you are describing are so low burn that they don't really qualify as "cardio on VLC" - which would be totally cool, except you're suggesting that your activity is somehow evidence that meaningful cardio exercise and VLC are a good match.

When you can run 5 miles 3x a week and cycle 15 miles in an hour 3x a week, all on VLC, and maintain that for a month...*then* you'll have something resembling support for the hypothesis.

In the meantime, the fact that your body can't do any of those things even once is evidence to the contrary.

I look forward to reading your future activities - Cheers!

Comment

When you can run 5 miles 3x a week and cycle 15 miles in an hour 3x a week, all on VLC, and maintain that for a month...*then* you'll have something resembling support for the hypothesis.
                      Does everyone else agree these are acceptable benchmarks? I am glad to have goals now, thank you! *scribbles out new workout calendar*

So-
                      Monday - Run
                      Tuesday - Crazy push-up day
                      Wed - Run
                      Thurs - LHT
                      Friday - Run
                      Sat - Bicycle
                      Sun - Sprint

This looks positively exhausting. Should do!
                      Last edited by Knifegill; 09-29-2013, 01:56 PM.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Maybe I should drop that bicycle Saturday for something else less leg-oriented. But what?
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

A big rainy hike or another crazy pushup day? Crazy handstand day?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I can't be upside down. It's a no-no.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Does everyone else agree these are acceptable benchmarks? I am glad to have goals now, thank you! *scribbles out new workout calendar*

So-
                              Monday - Run
                              Wed - Run
                              Thurs - LHT
                              Friday - Run
                              Sat - Bicycle
                              Sun - Sprint

If you are looking to "over-train" this will certainly fit the bill..... 4 days in a row of leg work.... and no time for them to rest? Yup... you'll hit the "wall"

Comment

So-
                                Monday - Run
                                Wed - Run
                                Thurs - LHT
                                Friday - Run
                                Sat - Bicycle
                                Sun - Sprint

Benchmarks for what?

There is really nothing seriously in contention here.
                                There IS a level of intensity times duration that is doable on high carb but not low.
                                There is NO health benefit from that level of exercise. It's all performance or vanity.
                                Look at the actual primal fitness blueprint. There is no problem meeting it on low carb.
                                If you bonk then you're doing chronic cardio.

If you meet any specified standard nobody is going to say they were wrong.
                                They'll just say you could do more on high-carb. And probably be correct but so what?

Comment

Working...
                                X