Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is why you're bored

Lift Big Eat Big: The difference between exercise and training

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
      Interesting!

Comment

I'm really starting to appreciate how walking compliments the sprints and vice-versa.
        Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Here's the physiology...

Fast twitch muscle is white, it is this colour because it's cells use no oxygen ever, fast twitch muscle runs purely anaerobically on glycogen only.
          Slow twitch muscle is red. it is this colour because it's cells only use oxygen, to burn fuel aerobically. It can use either glycogen or fat for this.

Depending on the force required, the body will recruit the different muscle fibres progressively, this means an exercise that uses minimal force the body can exclusively use fat burning aerobic slow twitch muscle. When a maximum force is required the body will only recruit glycogen burning anaerobic fast twitch muscle. Muscle force in between these 2 extremes will recruit a combination of both the muscle types progressively scaled.

Here's the part where you come in knife gill, slow twitch muscle can take many hours before it will produce a 'bonk'. Fast twitch muscle can 'bonk' in less than 10 seconds. Your 1 mile jog probably wasn't fast or long enough to recruit enough of your fast twitch muscle fibre to deplete its glycogen anaerobically for you to experience a bonk. Also your catabolic LC eating style leaves plenty of fatty acids in the blood for the slow muscle fibres that you did recruit to oxidise for fuel.

There you have it.

Sent from my iPhone
          A little primal gem - My Success Story
          Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

I am learning something: Walking: slow twitch. Sprinting: Fast twitch. Chronic cardio: Both or neither.
            Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              I only read the bullet point comparison at the top but it makes sense that my yoga and handstand work is training and not excercise. Hence, it's never boring.

Comment

I never find working out to be boring.

It did take a few days for the soreness to go away, but as this was my first run, I'm not surprised and will have to do a few more runs to find out how I do once conditioned.

Here's the part where you come in knife gill, slow twitch muscle can take many hours before it will produce a 'bonk'. Fast twitch muscle can 'bonk' in less than 10 seconds. Your 1 mile jog probably wasn't fast or long enough to recruit enough of your fast twitch muscle fibre to deplete its glycogen anaerobically for you to experience a bonk. Also your catabolic LC eating style leaves plenty of fatty acids in the blood for the slow muscle fibres that you did recruit to oxidise for fuel.
                I would never run fast. I emulate the Tarahumara trot, relaxing everything I'm not using and shoving the ground casually beneath me as I gently fall forward. I run as if I plan to be out there all day. I was amazed at how much my legs got worked, though! My thighs were tense for like three days.

I am not yet sure how to work running into my "routine" aka "ad-lib, body-directed playlist", since I don't want to give up bicycling or sprinting. But between the two, it's obvious. The bicycle will be parked for a bit. Obviously I still do not espouse running and this will likely only go on for a few months. I do carb up now and then, though, which means like 100 to 150g in a day, still less than most would suggest. This'll be a wait and see kind of deal, since we need time! But it's on my calendar and I will update with each run and subsequent sensations, recovery, post-run food, etc.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

NEWS Lazy very low carber goes for run does great feels fine

I have run in all those conditions, and cant wait for more. I think the ulitmate measure of a man is how far he can get his own body in any given time... on foot.

Comment

Wow, can't believe it's been six days! Just did my "next" run, could have done it yesterday, soreness has been gone. Ran 1.5 miles in about 13:00. I am sure that's a terrible time. I feel great, though. Runner's high is real! Had steak and eggs before run, just water after. Plan on not eating for a while.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

NEWS Lazy very low carber goes for run does great feels fine

I have run in all those conditions, and cant wait for more. I think the ulitmate measure of a man is how far he can get his own body in any given time... on foot.

Comment

Not going to lie, my calves are sore today after yesterday's run. Thankfully it's arm day.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

As this is my first day of high-volume curls, I'm taking it light for starters. Every fifteen minutes, I hold 40 pound dumbbells in each hand and curl them five times. I'm up to 25 reps now. No goal number today--will stop when exhausted.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            Wow, can't believe it's been six days! Just did my "next" run, could have done it yesterday, soreness has been gone. Ran 1.5 miles in about 13:00. I am sure that's a terrible time. I feel great, though. Runner's high is real! Had steak and eggs before run, just water after. Plan on not eating for a while.
                            not bad time, really, about an 8ish minute mile pace.... alot faster than I run, typically

Comment

Yesterday was more sprints and today I rode my bicycle (heavy 45-pound beach cruiser, no cheater racing bike) on hills for over an hour. I'm also eating 1200 or less calories every day. Less than 50g carb easily. I mean, today I had salmon cooked in duck lard, 4 eggs, some seaweed, a glop of molasses in my coffee, some green tea with ginger, and a few macadamia nuts. And some cheese. I'm high-intensity, low-carb and low-calorie and I've actually not had this much energy for quite awhile! Then again, I am on vacation, that must help a ton.

Tomorrow is supposed to be chin-up day, but I still haven't built my chin-up bar. I should do that. Or I could just do 700 push-ups.

Next time I run, I'm going not faster but longer. Instead of 1.5 miles, I'm going to go 2.25 miles, since that's the trip to my mailbox and back and to again. I feel my current pace is adequate, since it's at the upper end of what I feel I could do all day if I had to. Plus, I can't lengthen my stride, and trying to swing my legs any faster puts strain on my hips and my body tells me no. It's like I have a built-in default pace.

When do I feel run down? When does my thyroid crawl out of my neck and rip out my hair?
                              NOTE: on that curl day I had to drop it down to 40 pounds so I could go all day without joint pain. I'm still greasing the groove, they're in my kitchen and I curl them throughout the day.
                              Last edited by Knifegill; 09-26-2013, 09:50 PM.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Kept doing curls yesterday, and today is 700 push-ups. I'm doing a set of 10 every 8 minutes until 10:20 tonight starting at 12:00.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X