Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS - Lazy very-low-carber goes for run, does great, feels fine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discomfort? Lest time I tried this I almost went blind! But this time, instead of going from almost 0 carb to a bowl of sweet potatoes, I've been adding in more and more carrots, and am now slowly adding white potatoes, gently. They are a nightshade, so if my fingers get twitchy I'll have to drop white potatoes for another starch...

My gut flora are a bunch of union workers. Useless.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Yay. I've pooped two potatoes right through!
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Knife..I still don't understand why you are doing this..except the cost savings. I get that. What about adding rice to bulk up your carbs instead of potatoes if you are that sensitive to them?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Well, to be honest, I just don't really like rice. Or cooking it. And I grew up eating potatoes, so there have to be some residual bacteria to repopulate my gut for starches. The people are right, I cut out all the carbs blindly without giving whole-food carbs a fair chance.

This really is mostly budget-driven. And if I can't run, I might as well bulk in the meantime. Presumably for this entire month-long work stretch. I've also taken to the discount raw dairy and yogurts at my co-op. Dollar-to-calorie, they hit it out of the ballpark. Between dairy and potatoes, I can get to almost body-builder calories on a penny-pincher's budget. And I have been lifting almost every day, largely bench-press, squats, and body-weight chin-ups and similar. I already went from three reps of 195 to five reps benching. Squats, not so much. Still afraid of cramps. Plus my job, I stand and push a heavy cart around a hospital most of the day(night) and that takes fuel. Need cheaper fuel. Steak and eggs are both kind of calorically stingy for their prices. I'll still eat plenty of steak and eggs, don't get me wrong!
          Last edited by Knifegill; 10-23-2013, 08:30 AM.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Another good one is cottage cheese. Cheap protein source and not bad eats if you sprinkle with molasses (my favorite) or tobasco.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Hmm, I haven't tried cottage cheese as an adult. Might try it.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Just a thought on upping your carbs, go slow. When I up mine from being in NK, I add 5-10 at a time for a few days to a week. It takes the body time to adjust. Instead of a whole large potato, have a half cup. Plus waxier potatoes seem to be easier on my gut.

Comment

• Thanks! I'm only eating tiny potatoes to start. Small enough to poop whole if I have to.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    Thanks! I'm only eating tiny potatoes to start. Small enough to poop whole if I have to.
                    That is a wonderful visual! Lol!

Comment

• Butyrate Is Important For YOU | The HSD
                      This made me think of you for some reason. The blog is written by someone who deals with chronic constipation (like me) and is a doctor, trying to find out the cause of all kinds of digestive disorders.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• I read the butyrate thing. Thanks! I've seen it alluded to, and had previously resigned myself to butter. But my gut needs a fixin'. Got to try something.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Gut fixed, now I'm back to steak and eggs (starches and other fibrous carbs on refeed days), and with spring here I can start actually exercising more, I might stay low-carb a while and start these crazy plans again...I'm feeling like a billion bucks lately.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                          X