Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlifts : sumo or conventional

What's everyone's preference ?

Also , what are your pros & cons u find?

I started with sumo then switched to conven but recently experienced some lower bk pain.

I am wondering if this could be the cause?

From London England UK

If you form is off, conventional deadlifting is most likely the cause of your back pain. I pull conventional. Greater ROM and all that.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
      What's everyone's preference ?

Also , what are your pros & cons u find?

I started with sumo then switched to conven but recently experienced some lower bk pain.

I am wondering if this could be the cause?

From London England UK
      I prefer sumo but that's because I've messed my back up too many times and it allows for a more vertical body position.

Really is depends on how you were made. Just remember you to are a special snow flake.

Comment

I've never tried sumo, I just stick to conventional, its my best lift so I don't want to mess with it too much.

I'm 6 ft 3in. I think height is supposed to influence your choice, or more specifically arm length... Have a little Google session for more accurate info.

:-)

My PB & Workout Log
        My PB Journal

Comment

Conventional without a power grip for workouts. I alternate hands only on max lifts.

Comment

All it takes it one rep of the weight getting away from the shins! : )

Comment

I prefered sumo, until I began training my back heavily.

I pendlay row 3x a week heavy (heavy for me atleast).

Now I prefer conventional deadlifting because my back and core can support so much more stress.

Sumo DL will target your hammy's and posterior chain, with minimal strain on the lower back. Its also a shorter range of motion.

Conventional DL will tax your entire body.

Both have their places...do both if you can. If you have back pain, then train lighter with conventional, and reserve heavy weight for sumo DLs.
              Last edited by SJK9er; 09-20-2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Sometimes it pays to take your time and stay at a weight you can handle for a month at a time, especially if you are over 40. I found it to be a bit overkill, but it really helped my back.

Comment

Originally posted by SJK9er View Post
                  I pendlay row 3x a week heavy (heavy for me atleast).
                  Ha ha. Pendlay row. Funny term. Like nobody did barbell rows before Glenn Pendlay.

Now I prefer conventional deadlifting because my back and core can support so much more stress.
                  Wait, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Maybe now your back and core can support more stress because you deadlift conventional. I don't know about you, but my mind is blown.

Sumo DL will target your hammy's and posterior chain, with minimal strain on the lower back. Its also a shorter range of motion.
                  Agree.

Conventional DL will tax your entire body.
                  Also agree.

Both have their places...do both if you can. If you have back pain, then train lighter with conventional, and reserve heavy weight for sumo DLs.
                  Yeah, if you want to get strong and you can pull conventional, I think you should. If your anthropometry or injury history makes it an unsafe movement, sumo's a heck of a lot better than not pulling heavy ass weight off the floor.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I train both. Takes 15 minutes more.
                    Not a big deal, huh?
                    Few but ripe.

Comment

Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
                      I train both. Takes 15 minutes more.
                      Not a big deal, huh?
                      cause more is always better? I don't think anyone meant to train both in the same session. That's a weird choice.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        cause more is always better? I don't think anyone meant to train both in the same session. That's a weird choice.
                        I got told same from past trainer or something like it want be good as ur system will find it hard to change system and may cause injury?

From London England UK

Comment

Originally posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
                          I got told same from past trainer or something like it want be good as ur system will find it hard to change system and may cause injury?
                          Wonder what your past trainer thinks about CrossFit...
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I lift Conventional started at 225#(my body weight) and have since gone to 315# in 3 weeks lifting 2 times a week. Working on technique but also want to get to a level where im HIT. I am currently doing 5 sets of 5 but may adjust some to model more of the Starting Strong Model. This book though i just oredered it would be a good resource for technique which from what i read is why people hurt themselves. I think some Sumo would be good for days to work out the other specific leg muscles mentioned in an earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by ZugZug View Post
                              I lift Conventional started at 225#(my body weight) and have since gone to 315# in 3 weeks lifting 2 times a week. Working on technique but also want to get to a level where im HIT. I am currently doing 5 sets of 5 but may adjust some to model more of the Starting Strong Model. This book though i just oredered it would be a good resource for technique which from what i read is why people hurt themselves. I think some Sumo would be good for days to work out the other specific leg muscles mentioned in an earlier post.
                              Yeah, I've used sumos when an injury prevented me from achieving sufficient knee flexion to squat, so I could get a little extra back-of-the-leg work. But if you're squatting 2-3x/week, and pulling conventional, I don't think you're in danger of understimulating the leg musculature.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X