Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The upright row can't be good for you.....or can it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The upright row can't be good for you.....or can it?

Recently I bought a book called Framework which discusses how to preserve the body over the course of our lives. Now one of the exercises that the author ( who is a doctor btw ) recommends for the upper body is the upright row. Now I have read and heard just about how dangerous this exercise can be however perhaps I have heard wrong?

I'd like to hear the your thoughts and opinions here. Thanks folks!

SupermanRedSun: "What's your opinion on upright rows?"

RichMahogany: "Perhaps the most unfortunate exercise ever invented... "

quikky: "... for several reasons."

And so speaketh the prophet
    Starting Strength 231:18
    Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

If you take a wider grip (about shoulder width) on the bar then it is much less stressful on the shoulder joint, and activates the traps more.

If your grip is wide then you should only be able to get as high as under your chest, or thereabouts.

Try it and see if its your thing, that's the only way to find out :-)

My PB & Workout Log
      Last edited by monkspeed; 09-14-2013, 09:39 PM.
      My PB Journal

Comment

Originally posted by monkspeed View Post
        If you take a wider grip (about shoulder width) on the bar then it is much less stressful on the shoulder joint, and activates the traps more.

If your grip is wide then you should only be able to get as high as under your chest, or thereabouts.
        Completely agree. Close grip upright row pulled all the way to face level can be hell on your shoulders. A clean grip high pull though is a great exercise. Obviously they are similar but different exercises but basically the same movement pattern.

Comment

Upright Row....No, not good !

Comment

Everything's better bent over.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              Everyone's better bent over.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
              Indeed
              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
              X