Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basics for starting some weights

Hi guys,

I used to spend a fair amount of time in the gym (mostly due to my hours on a treadmill, but with some weight lifting as well). Since starting to follow PB I haven't really been to my gym - I've mostly been doing the body weight exercises at home. I've decided I'd like to get back to the gym (probably twice a week) to do some lifting. I was wondering if anyone could give me some basics about some good places to start. Do you typically do a couple of body parts one day and then the other body parts the other day? Or just a full body workout each day?

There are a million different exercises online so I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good ones to start out with. As I said, I have a bit of experience, but not a lot. I'm looking to gain some muscle and lose about 7% body fat. I'd like to improve my overall fitness.

As I mentioned in another post, I think I have a pull in my pec minor at the moment so I'll probably take it easy on that to start out, but it would be great to get a plan in place anyway! Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by ksagle View Post
    Hi guys,

I used to spend a fair amount of time in the gym (mostly due to my hours on a treadmill, but with some weight lifting as well). Since starting to follow PB I haven't really been to my gym - I've mostly been doing the body weight exercises at home. I've decided I'd like to get back to the gym (probably twice a week) to do some lifting. I was wondering if anyone could give me some basics about some good places to start. Do you typically do a couple of body parts one day and then the other body parts the other day? Or just a full body workout each day?

There are a million different exercises online so I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good ones to start out with. As I said, I have a bit of experience, but not a lot. I'm looking to gain some muscle and lose about 7% body fat. I'd like to improve my overall fitness.

As I mentioned in another post, I think I have a pull in my pec minor at the moment so I'll probably take it easy on that to start out, but it would be great to get a plan in place anyway! Thanks for any help!
    Starting Strength, 3rd edition: Mark Rippetoe, Jason Kelly: 9780982522738: Amazon.com: Books.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

This. Even if you don't want to follow the program in the book, what it will teach you about form is alone worth the price.
      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Beginner Workout Routine - Weight Training For Beginners

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
          This. Even if you don't want to follow the program in the book, what it will teach you about form is alone worth the price.
          Actually yes, I've seen this book before! But holy crap, I just looked it up and its over $60 plus shipping! Yowza!

Comment

What? It's $10 on Kindle or $23 for the hard copy brah.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

You can try Strong Lifts 5x5. They used to have a good manual on line of an essentially the same program.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

You gotta hit those metabolic hot zones bro!

Back, chest, triceps, abs and legs Bro!

Comment

Check out any articles by Drew Baye or Ellington Darden.

Here is one such article from Drew that you might find useful:

The Minimum Amount Necessary | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Comment

Originally posted by Primal_alien View Post
                    You gotta hit those metabolic hot zones bro!

Back, chest, triceps, abs and legs Bro!
                    #1 - what would you say is the female version of "Brah" or "bro"?

#2 - how do I DO that exactly?

RichMahogany - on Amazon Canada its $67 plus shipping. There must be a cheaper version somewhere... I'll keep looking since it seems to be very highly recommended.

Comment

#1 - what would you say is the female version of "Brah" or "bro"?

#2 - how do I DO that exactly?

RichMahogany - on Amazon Canada its $67 plus shipping. There must be a cheaper version somewhere... I'll keep looking since it seems to be very highly recommended.
                      #1: Bro or Brah are unisex, bro. You lift, you're "bro." Although, contrary to popular opinion, the female version of "dude" is actually the highly underutilized "ladydude."
                      #2: Squats, deadlifts, bench press, press, power cleans, chin-ups

You don't have Kindle in Canadia? How much would it cost to ship it from New Jersey? I'd buy one and send it to you if you could pay me the costs in real American dollars.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

#1 - Great information. I feel much more prepared now.

#2 - We have kindle, and things like it. I just don't own one myself - I can't give up on the idea of holding an actual book in my hands. I suppose I'll have to move with the times eventually...
                        Probably just as pricey to bring it from NJ, although I very much appreciate the offer.

Comment

#1 - Great information. I feel much more prepared now.

#2 - We have kindle, and things like it. I just don't own one myself - I can't give up on the idea of holding an actual book in my hands. I suppose I'll have to move with the times eventually...
                          Probably just as pricey to bring it from NJ, although I very much appreciate the offer.
                          I don't have a Kindle either. I just downloaded the free reader program from Amazon and read books on my computer. It's not the same as having a book in your hands, but when you're comparing $10 to $67...
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Rich recommended SS by Rippetoe to me last week, i got it on kindle and it goes into serious details on form. It's great, really makes you understand why things need to be done a certain way

Comment

If you're looking to lose some bodyfat, I totally recommend checking out Joseph C. Donnelly's workouts. The man knows his stuff and I follow him on facebook. He's always posting really good workouts and also breaks alot of nutritional myths that are out there. Anyways, you should go check out his facebook page here:

Joe Donelly

Sorry went off into a little rant just had to share, but just to start back up, I recommend just doing 1-2 bodyparts a day. That's where I started when I first started going back. You got to remember that this is a lifestyle and not a rush to get to be or get fit.
                              223 Delicious & Healthy Paleo Recipes:

Get them here.

Comment

Working...
                              X